Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which tri-state area is currently in the best shape.
NYC tri-state 15 57.69%
Philly tri-state 5 19.23%
DMV 6 23.08%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 10:24 AM

2,419 posts, read 4,720,939 times

Advertisements

NY/NJ/CONN.
Philly/Jersey/Del.
DMV.

Cost of living-
Tourism-
Cities and suburbs-
Beaches/nature-
Infrastructure-
Sports-

Anything else you can think of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 10:30 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,099,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
NY/NJ/CONN.
Philly/Jersey/Del.
DMV.

Cost of living-
Tourism-
Cities and suburbs-
Beaches/nature-
Infrastructure-
Sports-

Anything else you can think of.
Cost of Living-Philly-South Jersey-Delaware

Tourism-Would require more research but inclined to say NY-CT-NNJ because of Manhattan.

Cities and suburbs- Personal preference whether you want to be close to New York, Philly or D.C. Each city has great suburbs

Beaches/Nature-Toss up since all of them have nice beaches but maybe Delmarva.

Infrastructure-CT-NYC-NNJ is more built up and has the best the transit out of any metro area in the country.

Sports-CT-NYC-NNJ

Old 06-22-2016, 10:32 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
What about Boston/RI/NH?

Old 06-22-2016, 11:23 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,172,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
Cost of Living-Philly-South Jersey-Delaware

Tourism-Would require more research but inclined to say NY-CT-NNJ because of Manhattan.

Cities and suburbs- Personal preference whether you want to be close to New York, Philly or D.C. Each city has great suburbs

Beaches/Nature-Toss up since all of them have nice beaches but maybe Delmarva.

Infrastructure-CT-NYC-NNJ is more built up and has the best the transit out of any metro area in the country.

Sports-CT-NYC-NNJ
Well, I think the beaches question (not nature, just beaches) is easily in favor of Philly/South Jersey/Delaware. Between the Jersey Shore (Ocean City, Wildwood, Cape May, Atlantic City) and Delaware Beaches (which are technically just outside of the Philly CSA, but are closer to Philly than the DMV, and get more visitors from Northern Delaware/Philly than the DMV), Philly/South Jersey/Delaware has quite the lineup.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:33 AM

Cost of living- DelVal wins in this category, although compared to the rest nation it is still a relatively expensive. All three have cheap living options if you don't mind dangerous ghettos. Obviously Manhatten is in a different league, but I'm not sure how CC and core DC compare.

Tourism- I've been to all three, and dc hands down offers pound for pound the best tourist experience of the three, it's as if it was designed with tourism in mind. NYC major drawback is simply how crowded it is. Old City, although it is a gem, and world heritage site, it gets old really fast.

Cities and suburbs- This will be the most debatable, as there are wild variations in form and function. It's largely a matter of personal preference. I don't think NYC wins automatically, because not everybody likes being in crowds. The delaware valley has extensive poverty and blight for it's size; Chester(city), Camden, Wilmington, Trenton, and a slew of minor dumps, this is what holds DelVal back and seems to put it a notch below other two. The DMV also has issues, pg county, and Baltimore, but it seems they do a better job of offsetting it economically.

Beaches/nature- I give this to the nyc tri-state because it has a beach within the city. Then it comes down to the Jersey Shore vs Chesepeak, personally I would take the Jersey shore any day. The chesepeak bay is nice though, I used to go crabbing there as a kid, but they have too much jelly fish.

Infrastructure- On a pound for pound basis they are all inadequate when compared to their European counter parts. DelVal has horrible roads and higways in PA and massive public transit voids in Jersey and Delaware. The DMV's system is showing signs of stress with no decent alternative options ie. regional or light rail to ease the burden of mixing commuters from both ghettos and suburbs as well as tourists. NY tri-state also has bad roads, but the city transit is impressive, so it get's the win here.

Sports- NY has so many teams and champions, it's no contest. I give DelVal a few points for having a unique and extensive boxing culture. The DMV does include baltimore, so I would put it second, simply for having more teams than DelVal.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Well, I think the beaches question (not nature, just beaches) is easily in favor of Philly/South Jersey/Delaware. Between the Jersey Shore (Ocean City, Wildwood, Cape May, Atlantic City) and Delaware Beaches (which are technically just outside of the Philly CSA, but are closer to Philly than the DMV, and get more visitors from Northern Delaware/Philly than the DMV), Philly/South Jersey/Delaware has quite the lineup.
Long Island beaches (Jones Beach, Long Beach, Hamptons) and Ocean County Beaches in New Jersey (Seaside Park, Long Beach Island, Island Beach State Park) are pretty impressive as well.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
What about Boston/RI/NH?
It's not a tri-state in the same way. But it's definitley in the mix.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
It's not a tri-state in the same way. But it's definitley in the mix.
We could also include Ark-LA-Tex, Shreveport is a relatively prominent city that is pretty much a Texas-Louisiana combo, also there are the cities of Texarkana.

Also TN-MS-AR with the Memphis metro.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:55 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
It's not a tri-state in the same way.
How so?

Old 06-22-2016, 12:07 PM

Because RI and NH don't border boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City