Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 03:00 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,445,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Having lived in both:

Outdoor actives in or within proximity- tie
Colleges/Universities- Pittsburgh
Hospitals- Pittsburgh
Safety/Crime- Pittsburgh
Running/Biking- Pittsburgh is more bike friendly
Best libraries/book stores- tie
Most open with religion- can't say
Near good camping areas- tie
Music scene- Richmond, maybe
Being less crowded- Richmond
Cheaper COL- Pittsburgh

Richmond is a better food city and has better shopping. Art scenes are about even. Richmond has better diversity. Pittsburgh has a couple of walkable, urbanized suburbs, which Richmond lacks, but overall Richmond had better burbs.

I think Pittsburgh is a slightly better city (Sports and public transit give it the edge), with a lower cost of living. I currently live in the Shadyside neighborhood of Pittsburgh. Richmond's closest analogue is probably The Museum District. The Museum District is a little more charming, but also more expensive, and has terrible public schools, further raising the expense of raising a family there.
Why would Richmond lack urbanized suburbs? That just doesn't compute to me as dense as Richmond is in the city proper why would the suburbs be rural?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 03:25 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,954,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Except all of those are city neighborhoods. Richmond does not have a single walkable, urban suburb.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:30 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,618,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Except all of those are city neighborhoods. Richmond does not have a single walkable, urban suburb.
It depends upon how one defines "suburb". Petersburg is both urban and walkable and functions very much as an outer suburb. So is parts of Colonial Heights, some might say Ashland. Highland Springs. But no, for the most part, there isn't anything like that within Henrico and Chesterfield, the two primary suburban counties...

Last edited by JMT; 03-04-2017 at 03:47 PM.. Reason: Norfolk is not part of this thread.

Old 03-04-2017, 03:35 PM

969 posts, read 2,071,490 times
I'm goin with Pitt cuz they put fries & slaw on the samwhiches.

Old 03-04-2017, 08:20 PM

9,677 posts, read 9,373,219 times
I think it is great Richmond leaders are looking up to Pittsburgh to gather ideas about city development. Pittsburgh continues to improve their downtown.

Development Activity - Downtown Pittsburgh

Old 03-06-2017, 01:13 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,258,347 times
Pittsburgh by a mile not even close. Pittsburgh has better food as well

Old 04-20-2017, 02:04 PM

From rock bottom, Pittsburgh's rise carries lessons for Richmond region | Business | richmond.com

( Sent from RTD )

More on Richmond leaders seeking to emulate Pittsburgh successes...

Old 05-21-2017, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Which city you think offers the best in regards to:
Outdoor actives in or within proximity
Colleges/Universities
Hospitals
Safety/Crime
Running/Biking
Best libraries/book stores
Most open with religion
Near good camping areas
Music scene
Being less crowded
Cheaper COL

Appreciate the feedback
Outdoor activities are going to be a level more plentiful in Pittsburgh because of its topography and setting...

Pittsburgh has a concentrated, large university district, so that gives it the edge on universities, as well as it having globally renown schools in city. But Richmond is no slouch here. Rich has a large education presence, is a more educated city than many other larger cities, and VCU's academic profile rises yearly...

Hospitals pretty much align with what i said above...

Richmond is only marginally more dangerous than Pittsburgh from a factual stance. Richmond probably has worse bad areas, but it's also easy to feel as though Richmond's major violence is more relegated to those rougher areas, whereas Pittsburgh's could seem more evenly distributed around town...

Running/biking is a draw. Plenty of fitness freaks in both cities. I don't think anyone could have the impression Pittsburgh outshines Richmond here though, if strictly saying running and biking...

Book stores and such should be a draw...

While Richmond certainly doesn't have a Bible Belt vibe, part of the Southern quality it does retain, at least to a higher degree than Pittsburgh, is in the religion arena. This is very close to being a draw but probably a slight advantage to Pittsburgh...

Both are near good camping...

Richmond has a massively underrated music scene. I'm not familiar with Pittsburgh's scene, but Rich is the epicenter of music in Virginia, for what it's worth. This is probably a draw...

Richmond is less crowded by virtue of being the smaller city, but compares very well in pedestrian traffic and street scene within the core...

For all intents and purposes, they are equally cheap...

Some time ago it was mentioned that Norfolk could have more I'm common with Pittsburgh, which is patently false. There are actually a few threads of similarity between Pgh and Rich, and though few, Rich is much more similar and much closer to Pgh than Norfolk. Not a question...

I think Pittsburgh is a city that many Richmonders see a certain likeness to, and people in our city government openly look to Pittsburgh for ideas and inspiration. Pittsburgh is larger and has more of the amenities that come with being in a larger city, but I also believe many Pittsburghers would be fine and/or impressed with Rich. There is a few strands of similarity...

Old 05-23-2017, 08:38 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,367,193 times
I prefer Richmond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City