Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More potential to become a megacity? (By 2050)
Only the Greater Miami/Fort Lauderdale CSA 36 21.05%
Only the Greater Atlanta CSA 32 18.71%
Both CSAs will become a megacity; Greater Miami/Fort Lauderdale CSA will be the bigger of the two 30 17.54%
Both CSAs will become a megacity; Greater Atlanta CSA will be the bigger of the two 52 30.41%
Neither will ever become megacities 21 12.28%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 05:54 AM

617 posts, read 551,438 times

Advertisements

Atl!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 10:17 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Atlanta will be bigger. I think Cuban immigration will slow down some, although some baby boomers will continue to retire to South Florida.

Old 08-15-2017, 04:39 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,954,514 times
I see South Florida attracting immigrant groups that it previously did not attract in large numbers such as the South Asians, the East Asians, and especially the Southeast Asians. South Florida never gets the credit it deserves for it but its already a pretty good Western Asian location for Arabs and a growing number of Persians. One of the only few places in the United States with a real Israeli presence.

All of these demographic groups have been growing quickly in South Florida, especially this decade from 2010 to 2016 and Broward County, particularly around Fort Lauderdale is starting to become Florida's largest hub for Asian immigrants (Orlando is another one of those growing hubs).

Either way, South Florida's population growth is fueled in large part by immigration, far more so than either natural increase or domestic migration, actually those growth mechanisms are closer to flatline, so South Florida's future greatly hinges on immigration trends. It will do well there. It is the most foreign born metropolis in all of the United States and by quite a far distance in percentage terms. I expect that to continue moving forward.

As for the topic, it has been about a year since this topic was revisited but my opinion remains unchanged. Both will cross the megacity threshold by CSA population; which one actually ends up larger would largely just be guess work as they are close now and both have been close for the last 46 years with regards to population.

Old 08-15-2017, 05:32 PM

3,195 posts, read 2,649,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
I see South Florida attracting immigrant groups that it previously did not attract in large numbers such as the South Asians, the East Asians, and especially the Southeast Asians. South Florida never gets the credit it deserves for it but its already a pretty good Western Asian location for Arabs and a growing number of Persians. One of the only few places in the United States with a real Israeli presence.

All of these demographic groups have been growing quickly in South Florida, especially this decade from 2010 to 2016 and Broward County, particularly around Fort Lauderdale is starting to become Florida's largest hub for Asian immigrants (Orlando is another one of those growing hubs).

Either way, South Florida's population growth is fueled in large part by immigration, far more so than either natural increase or domestic migration, actually those growth mechanisms are closer to flatline, so South Florida's future greatly hinges on immigration trends. It will do well there. It is the most foreign born metropolis in all of the United States and by quite a far distance in percentage terms. I expect that to continue moving forward.

As for the topic, it has been about a year since this topic was revisited but my opinion remains unchanged. Both will cross the megacity threshold by CSA population; which one actually ends up larger would largely just be guess work as they are close now and both have been close for the last 46 years with regards to population.
Maybe those groups are growing in Broward County, but SF is still 70-75% Hispanic, and it still lacks in Asian/Middle-Eastern groups. I noticed that every time I visit SF (2-3 times a year) it gets more and more Spanish, and certain areas like Ft. Lauderdale and north of that, are attracting other cultures, but at a small pace. Nearly 93% of immigrants in MDC are from Latin America/the Carribean, and in the metro area, it's 86% as of 2013. I'm sure the immigration characteristics are changing, but outside the Hispanic and Carribean community, the rest are very small for an International city.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
Maybe those groups are growing in Broward County, but SF is still 70-75% Hispanic, and it still lacks in Asian/Middle-Eastern groups.
Baby steps. Change is not happening at the pace we may like but it is slowly and steadily happening nonetheless.
Quote:
I noticed that every time I visit SF (2-3 times a year) it gets more and more Spanish, and certain areas like Ft. Lauderdale and north of that, are attracting other cultures, but at a small pace.
That's certainly true.

Though on a personal level it is great to see it happen nonetheless.
Quote:
I'm sure the immigration characteristics are changing, but outside the Hispanic and Carribean community, the rest are very small for an International city.
From what I can recall from my own previously compiled statistics and data: South Florida has one of the Top 5 largest foreign born European populations in all of North America. If not Top 5, then just right outside of it.

I think I can agree that in the broader context there needs to be more African and Asian immigrants to the area, which would give the area a stellar balance between its groups. However those are already increasing, especially Asian. Will South Florida ever be a Seattle, Houston, or even a Chicago with regards to Asians? Probably not. We cannot do much about Africa, people from Africa primarily immigrate to Europe and bypass North America altogether but if South Florida can increase its pool with them, then all the better.

More composition is a great thing, especially in the case for an aspiring cosmopolitan global city such as Miami. A great thing IMO, tremendous really.
Quote:
Nearly 93% of immigrants in MDC are from Latin America/the Carribean, and in the metro area, it's 86% as of 2013.
Miami-Dade is overwhelmingly a foreign born territory. Broward is a hybrid of foreign born and Americana. The foreign born composition of Broward is probably the most diverse in all of Florida as it encompasses Latin Americans, large European and Asian populations, and generally speaking has some of the largest concentrations of foreign born African people in South Florida (and by African I mean those whom are from Africa). At the micro-level, Broward also has the most "global" and knowledge based economy among all the major divisions of South Florida and is constantly improving its tech, finance, and logistics industry base. Palm Beach County, in contrast, remains an American mecca. That's where all the snowbird American folks from the Northeast and Midwest (but especially the Northeast) wind up. It's also the most suburban of the three core counties and it isn't just purely coincidental that it is the most American. These days Southeast Florida (I prefer to call it this over South Florida) has also made areas directly north of Palm Beach County into its bedroom community. Areas such as Port Saint Lucie and the like, these areas are lower cost alternatives and refuge spots for those that previously used to live in one of the three counties south of it but also folks that wish to remain in proximity to the core of the metropolis. I suspect that this will be the area of South Florida that will in due time see the most mixture of varying different ethnic groups from across the planet but especially those of whom are native born Americans.

Yes, you're right, the region is still heavily Latino, that's not necessarily a problem in my book nor is it becoming even more Latino an issue in my book either but yes, seeing the injection of more cultures into the regions fabric is the ultimate goal. That being said, I like that it is starting to branch out and add to its pull, add different corners of the planet to its immigrant pool. That's excellent, that's what I want to see out of it. Perhaps you're right, maybe it is happening too slowly but I see it as South Florida doing things that it hasn't before in its history.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 08-15-2017 at 06:50 PM..

Old 08-15-2017, 07:45 PM

3,195 posts, read 2,649,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
Baby steps. Change is not happening at the pace we may like but it is slowly and steadily happening nonetheless.

That's certainly true.

Though on a personal level it is great to see it happen nonetheless.

From what I can recall from my own previously compiled statistics and data: South Florida has one of the Top 5 largest foreign born European populations in all of North America. If not Top 5, then just right outside of it.

I think I can agree that in the broader context there needs to be more African and Asian immigrants to the area, which would give the area a stellar balance between its groups. However those are already increasing, especially Asian. Will South Florida ever be a Seattle, Houston, or even a Chicago with regards to Asians? Probably not. We cannot do much about Africa, people from Africa primarily immigrate to Europe and bypass North America altogether but if South Florida can increase its pool with them, then all the better.

More composition is a great thing, especially in the case for an aspiring cosmopolitan global city such as Miami. A great thing IMO, tremendous really.

Miami-Dade is overwhelmingly a foreign born territory. Broward is a hybrid of foreign born and Americana. The foreign born composition of Broward is probably the most diverse in all of Florida as it encompasses Latin Americans, large European and Asian populations, and generally speaking has some of the largest concentrations of foreign born African people in South Florida (and by African I mean those whom are from Africa). At the micro-level, Broward also has the most "global" and knowledge based economy among all the major divisions of South Florida and is constantly improving its tech, finance, and logistics industry base. Palm Beach County, in contrast, remains an American mecca. That's where all the snowbird American folks from the Northeast and Midwest (but especially the Northeast) wind up. It's also the most suburban of the three core counties and it isn't just purely coincidental that it is the most American. These days Southeast Florida (I prefer to call it this over South Florida) has also made areas directly north of Palm Beach County into its bedroom community. Areas such as Port Saint Lucie and the like, these areas are lower cost alternatives and refuge spots for those that previously used to live in one of the three counties south of it but also folks that wish to remain in proximity to the core of the metropolis. I suspect that this will be the area of South Florida that will in due time see the most mixture of varying different ethnic groups from across the planet but especially those of whom are native born Americans.

Yes, you're right, the region is still heavily Latino, that's not necessarily a problem in my book nor is it becoming even more Latino an issue in my book either but yes, seeing the injection of more cultures into the regions fabric is the ultimate goal. That being said, I like that it is starting to branch out and add to its pull, add different corners of the planet to its immigrant pool. That's excellent, that's what I want to see out of it. Perhaps you're right, maybe it is happening too slowly but I see it as South Florida doing things that it hasn't before in its history.
For top 5 European pop. in N.A, I couldn't find data, but I'd assume top 5 would be NYC, CHI, TOR, MTL, BOS, or something like that, with Miami top 10-15? just my guess. Also regarding people from Africa, a lot end up in Canada, mainly from the Maghreb though. I also find it rather odd how MDC is very Hispanic, which trust me, I like, but it feels a bit exclusive. Palm beach is completely opposite, very American, feels country sometimes, and Broward, where we see that hybrid kick in. Also, since more people are leaving MDC now (last year 31K left, 41K came in or something like that) and most go to Broward, that can be another factor as to why Broward is the way it is. But yeah, slowly but surely it'll change, but Miami will always be a Hispanic magnet, Palm beach more "American" and Broward more of a mix.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
For top 5 European pop. in N.A, I couldn't find data, but I'd assume top 5 would be NYC, CHI, TOR, MTL, BOS, or something like that, with Miami top 10-15? just my guess.
Just checked it;

New York, Toronto, Chicago, Montreal, Boston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Miami. That same order. Washington D.C. comes in right after Miami. Miami, in that case, would be 8th in North America which is still pretty good and by percentages it is Top 5, some of the places ahead of it in raw numbers are significantly larger cities. It's rate of growth for European immigrants, however, is firmly Top 5 in North America only behind Toronto and Montreal. New York adds more in raw numbers but by percentage gain Miami's population is increasing faster, so that's a wash between those two.
Quote:
Also regarding people from Africa, a lot end up in Canada, mainly from the Maghreb though.
Canada is better linked to Africa, in particular North Africa, due to language and culture. Montreal, for example, draws a HUGE amount of French speaking African folks from North Africa from countries such as Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, and the like.

In the United States only two metropolitan regions get African immigrants at what I would describe a respectable clip and they are New York and Washington D.C., with Boston getting some surprisingly varied pool of immigrants from there as well but nowhere close to New York and Washington. Even New York and Washington though are far behind, Paris for example, has more African immigrants than all of the Top 20 American metropolises put together and then some.

Their primary destination is Europe, overwhelmingly so, I'd say.
Quote:
I also find it rather odd how MDC is very Hispanic, which trust me, I like, but it feels a bit exclusive. Palm beach is completely opposite, very American, feels country sometimes, and Broward, where we see that hybrid kick in. Also, since more people are leaving MDC now (last year 31K left, 41K came in or something like that) and most go to Broward, that can be another factor as to why Broward is the way it is. But yeah, slowly but surely it'll change, but Miami will always be a Hispanic magnet, Palm beach more "American" and Broward more of a mix.
Well the thing with South Florida when it comes to Asian population is that it has to have the type of economy to lure those folks. For the longest time, South Florida didn't really have that as tourism, leisure, housing, media, and banking made up the bulk of its economy.

Now with the rapid expansion of tech, the expansion of logistics, growth of biotech, nanotech, and FinTech, the region is finally making way with those groups. South Florida's Indian and Chinese population is adequate, enough for it to catapult to a larger Asian population in just the near-term future. I believe the Filipino population is steadily growing (healthcare and nursing are becoming more prominent industries in South Florida) and the Vietnamese population is steadily growing.

I want to see more variation, not just amongst the Asian population but the pool of immigrants from everywhere. I think it will happen steadily.

Yes, many of the Latin American immigrants into South Florida bring with them their society's social structure. You'll see plenty of self-segregation and classism amongst the immigrants. There is sometimes cultural clashing due to immigrants from rival countries, that bears out even in their new home metropolis in America. You see a good deal of that in South Florida and the region needs to adopt a civic culture that breaks that mold and allows everyone to get involved. So there's work to be done there.

Old 08-16-2017, 05:09 PM

14,045 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Miami is capital of Latin America/Caribbean the Hispanic population is getting higher every year especially South America, Panama, Costa Rica, Cuba etc not big Mexican and PR population. Recently Russians, Chinese coming to Miami lately

Old 02-02-2018, 12:11 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
I mean Miami has 6.5 million people literally stuck to the closest 10 miles from the Beaches. Miami to West Palm Beach in my opinion has a higher chance of growing to become a mega interconnected city in the future. Just my opinion.

Old 02-02-2018, 07:25 PM

239 posts, read 231,776 times
Miami will grow more as it is a retirement Mecca and a larger immigration hub. Atlanta’s growth is already stabilizing, but Miami will become wealthier and the economy will diversify/strengthen. Miami will develop a large Yuppie/professional class that it currently lacks. Families will flock to South Florida, and overall QOL will greatly improve. Miami will build a larger transportation network, and its airports will continue to thrive. The land amount is an issue, but most of Miami’s growth will be economic and “social”. The core will density, and the area will easily reach buildout, but I see Miami’s currently incredibly cheap prices rising significantly. It will grow on the world stage and become more respected as a city, not just a beach playground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City