Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the best to live in?
Atlanta 87 58.78%
Albuquerque 61 41.22%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-14-2016, 08:20 PM

6,610 posts, read 8,969,895 times

Advertisements

I'm sure ABQ is a fine city, but these two are in totally different leagues therefore difficult to compare. In most cases a much larger, more cosmopolitan city will come out ahead.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 09:51 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,413,811 times
Lived briefly in ABQ and liked it although I found it too slow.I prefer Atlanta but dont mind ABQ for a short time.

Old 07-16-2016, 01:27 PM

134 posts, read 186,716 times
Thanks for all your comments. Atlanta is leading in the poll! I'd love to know why people are voting Atlanta, just as much as why people have voted Albuquerque.

Old 07-16-2016, 08:12 PM
BMI

7,456 posts, read 7,208,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
I posted the first of these vids in the Tucson comparison thread a while back and the rest in the El Paso comparison thread just now. They are a few short vids of Albuquerque to give people an idea of what the city is like:

Albuquerque is no match for Atlanta in terms of urbanity, transit, shopping or economy, but I believe our city has many unique qualities including local cuisine, culture, architecture and atmosphere along with a beautiful natural environment and great weather, which I believe can and does entice people to choose this place over bigger cities such as Atlanta.
Love those videos!!

Albuquerque is fantastic ...stick to living in better hoods....far NE heights, Four Hills, Rio Rancho

Old 07-17-2016, 02:05 AM

1,462 posts, read 1,413,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisonrs View Post
Thanks for all your comments. Atlanta is leading in the poll! I'd love to know why people are voting Atlanta, just as much as why people have voted Albuquerque.
Most people prefer a larger city with more amenities.
ABQ has good food and it is much cheaper but its no where near varied or diverse as Atlanta.
You can even find decent Southwestern TEX-Mex Restaurants in Atlanta with some effort.

Also its about diversity ABQ is just not diverse. That means access to different cultures,food,music soical events.etc.

ABQ while ecletic and somewhat more unique is SLOW.Not much to do for any ages really after a whie unless you travel to other areas in the region by car like Santa Fe or Taios..Further to Denver but mountains and the general brown scenery after a while tend to wain on me.

Not even many lakes or beaches to experience for more than a days drive.Water is what one of the draws people to the biggest cities/Atlanta is not one of them but access to those is much greater./

Its not a place for high achievement overall. No big industries or sectors.That is a good thing for people who dont want the rat race of life and want more simple lifestyle.I know I appreciated it the months I was there but it waned on me after awhile.

Going back to diversity.Its more than just diversity in people.You have more Biodiversity in Atlanta or with a few hours of the city.
Within a couple hours your have waterfalls and canyons with cliffs and gorges.
Even the built environment in such a large metro is quite different.
Peachtree City and Downtown Roswell,Downtown Woodstock versus Tyrone or Serenbe vs Jonesboro.All very different in deographics and built environment

Not to mention the history which is also more varied.Native American,Civil War.Civil Rights,Gone With The Wind,Olympics,etc..Atlanta is sprawled but in over 8000 sq miles there is a lot that is different within that area.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:18 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,602,060 times
I thought I'd add a few short videos showcasing Albuquerque's largest and signature events.

First is the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta. This event started in 1972 and is the largest gathering of hot air balloons in the world. It once had over a thousand balloons participate, but shortly after was capped at no more than 750 because that was deemed a more manageable number. Even with the cap it is still by far the largest ballooning event in the world. The event always takes place and runs from the first through the second weekends in October. Last year it had its largest-ever attendance over the nine days of its run, with 955,000 visits to the Balloon Fiesta Park. Many different events and activities coincide and take place both inside the park and around the city during Balloon Fiesta, such as concerts, fireworks, arts and crafts festivals and wine events. The event is fairly unique in letting attendees be on the launch field and help unpack the balloons. It also introduced the phenomenon of night glows. The Balloon Fiesta is well-known in the ballooning community around the world and has inspired other ballooning events to use the "Fiesta" name as part of their events. There are Balloon Fiestas in places around the world from England to China.

Next is the Luminaria Tour on Christmas Eve in the Country Club neighborhood and Old Town. Luminarias are small paper bags filled with sand and holding a lit votive candle. These are traditional in New Mexico and got started in the towns of northern New Mexico as small bonfires lit to commemorate the birth of Christ. They are also known as farolitos, especially in Santa Fe. During Christmastime, and increasingly also for New Year's, homes, businesses, hospitals, office and government buildings and public places all over the state will be lit up with luminarias or farolitos. The Country Club neighborhood and Old Town Albuquerque are home to the most elaborate and coordinated displays in Albuquerque. The Luminaria Tour got started in the 1960s as a way for lots of people to enjoy the displays. Tickets go on sale in late November and usually sell out within hours. The tour utilizes city buses as their vehicles. Thankfully, people are free to follow along either in their own cars or on foot, but the tour buses have first priority over personal cars along the route.

Lastly is the Gathering of Nations. This is the largest gathering of indigenous peoples in the world and bills itself as North America's Biggest Powwow. Members of over 500 different tribes participate in the event each year. Tribes from the U.S., Canada and Mexico make up the majority of the attendees. The event is open to the public and will be held in its new home of Tingley Coliseum on the New Mexico State Fairgrounds next April, which is the month it is always held. The event started in 1983 as a small gathering in a local high school gym. It also features the Miss Indian World Pageant and the Indian Traders Market.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:26 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,602,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Love those videos!!
Thanks, and I'm glad you did!

I wanted to share just a few more videos of Albuquerque that I came across while looking for a vid for the Luminaria Tour. They are videos showing winter and how Albuquerque celebrates Christmas. I love Christmastime and winter, especially when it snows. Seeing these videos has really made me wish it was winter and snowy in Albuquerque now instead of being near 100 degrees like it has been the last few days. I hate really hot weather!

Here's a little Christmas in July from Albuquerque.

Okay, I promise that's the last of the videos from me in this thread. LOL!

Old 07-18-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post

Okay, I promise that's the last of the videos from me in this thread. LOL!
Post as many as you like. They are wonderful and much appreciated!

[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 07-18-2016, 08:49 AM

Atlanta is waaay ahead in the poll! I'm curious to know more from people who know both cities. Can anyone else answer my original questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisonrs View Post
Which city has the best potential for long term economic growth? What will drive their economies? Which city is more livable now? And which will be more livable in 5 years? 10 years? Which city is likely to significantly improve its public transit first? How do they each stack up for renters? For homeowners? For starting a small business? Which is just overall a better place to be?

Both cities rank close on crime lists, but what has been your personal experience of crime in each? Which State is greater: Georgia or New Mexico? Why? How do people of different races and classes relate to each other in each city?

Last edited by alisonrs; 07-18-2016 at 10:04 AM..

Old 07-18-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post
Most people prefer a larger city with more amenities.
ABQ has good food and it is much cheaper but its no where near varied or diverse as Atlanta.
You can even find decent Southwestern TEX-Mex Restaurants in Atlanta with some effort.

Also its about diversity ABQ is just not diverse. That means access to different cultures,food,music soical events.etc.

ABQ while ecletic and somewhat more unique is SLOW.Not much to do for any ages really after a whie unless you travel to other areas in the region by car like Santa Fe or Taios..Further to Denver but mountains and the general brown scenery after a while tend to wain on me.

Not even many lakes or beaches to experience for more than a days drive.Water is what one of the draws people to the biggest cities/Atlanta is not one of them but access to those is much greater./

Its not a place for high achievement overall. No big industries or sectors.That is a good thing for people who dont want the rat race of life and want more simple lifestyle.I know I appreciated it the months I was there but it waned on me after awhile.

Going back to diversity.Its more than just diversity in people.You have more Biodiversity in Atlanta or with a few hours of the city.
Within a couple hours your have waterfalls and canyons with cliffs and gorges.
Even the built environment in such a large metro is quite different.
Peachtree City and Downtown Roswell,Downtown Woodstock versus Tyrone or Serenbe vs Jonesboro.All very different in deographics and built environment

Not to mention the history which is also more varied.Native American,Civil War.Civil Rights,Gone With The Wind,Olympics,etc..Atlanta is sprawled but in over 8000 sq miles there is a lot that is different within that area.
Thanks for all this detail in your assessment of both places!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City