Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 09:27 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about Cleveland and St. Louis?
Neither peak my interests honestly. Never been to either but they don't grab my attention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I am co-owner of and curate for a gallery. When my partner and l founded it, it was decided that we needed to be specific in theme and target an area where patrons would be likely more interested in that particular kind of subject matter. Second, we wanted to be in an area where artists that worked in that genre would be more prevalent and concentrated (l didn't want to spend my life crisscrossing the world). Third, we thought it would be smart to locate in a resort area where patrons would be more relaxed and open to spending a little money; a commemoration of their travels as it were. So far, so good.
In Madison or Atlanta?
May I DM you about it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
With that criteria in mind, it sounds like Philly could be a good fit for you but interestingly enough, it gives off a very strong local flavor for such a big city so sometimes you might feel like it's an "everyone knows everyone" kind of city. And I'm not sure about getting something decent in CC for less than 1K a month. Philly is cheap for a big city, but not quite that cheap, especially CC. I think $1500/mo is more doable. I do think you should put Baltimore on the short list though for sure.
Well not in CC, I don't even know the boundaries but craigslist shows some near CC for under $1000. They might be terrible, I don't know but that's a good enough indication for me.
Baltimore seems pretty troubled no?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Annie....you are way underestimating Louisville. Maybe because I am the only one who talks about it here...Louisville is about the size of Asheville, Charleston, and Savannah COMBINED!

How many cities of 1.3 million have two monthly art gallery hops?

First Friday Hop | Louisville, KY

Frankfort Avenue Trolley Hop > Home

And the fact is, these two hops do not even cover one of the densest, most beautiful urban neighborhoods in the southeast, the Highlands. Then there is Old Louisville, downtown New Albany, Jeffersonville, etc.

I'd say Louisville is very much a New Orleans "light" without so many tourists. So not sure its fair to compare Louisville with cities a fraction of its size like Asheville, although I think Louisville is similar to Asheville in many ways.

Now if you are looking for Philly or Montreal...well that is a whole different ballgame but you will pay for it. But if you want a city similar to New Orleans but half the price? Louisville is your answer.

Louisville has multiple artist enclaves like this:

Mellwood Arts & Entertainment Center

In fact, I believe it is mainly freelance artists driving much of the creative class growth and restaurant movement in Louisville. And what I love about Louisville? So close to everywhere. Lots of artists do day shows in Cincy, Indy, Nashville, etc. STL or Chicago are 1 hour, 150-200 dollar round trip flights. not much more to get to DC, NYC, or Philly. There is even a bus which goes to Chicago (Megabus) for 10 bucks round trip for those weekend big city excursions.
New Orleans has 2 as well.

Funny, because neither of those are in the French Quarter haha. They are in the Warehouse District and Bywater.

Thing is, I'm not looking for a New Orleans light, but something equal in the arts scene or better.
I would imagine that NO is a good bit ahead of Louisville. New Orleans is likely too small for what I want, but it feels larger. It's energy is that of a much bigger city.
I wasn't comparing Louisville to those cities saying that they are equal or anything lol.

I really want to visit and get a feel for the city but I'm afraid that it won't live up. Plus it sucks that you're one of the only people that bring Louisville up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 09:30 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about the art scenes that have been popping up in the Hudson Valley that seem to attract people from NYC like Beacon, Poughkeepsie, Kingston, Saugerties, etc.?
They certainly exist and are interesting, but most people I know--which I understand is limited--have done so after making some modicum of headway within NYC first. They have the luxury of doing so and getting a larger studio space and having a lower cost of living to do their work, but all of the people I've known who have made that move have done so after having at least established a toehold if not a foothold.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:35 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Honestly don't feel like this is the best forum for figuring out something that can be that impactful on your life. Art galleries, as a livelihood, generally go in two main directions. One is to try to build up credibility in really bustling art markets such as NYC or LA which will be a slog and the other is to go for the layman route of going to major tourist areas. Of the two major cities, LA is a lot more open to someone starting up, but it'll be really tough but not as bad as NYC. Miami to some degree has both, but realize that basel is much more about other artists and galleries coming in from abroad than it is about the local scene though you can probably siphon a little from that. A lot of the cities mentioned thus far aren't even on the radar so you'd be mostly relying on how local buyers feel, but most local buyers who have an interest and the funds for such will be purchasing from the major art markets and not so much locally. They do like buying from artists that have some kind of connection to their locality, but not so much buying from galleries from there.

Take this with a pinch of skepticism--I've never owned a gallery but have worked with them in NYC. There's also going abroad.
All great points. Thank you.

What about New Orleans? I met different owners and curators who were from various parts of the world and the other half from the US.

Going abroad increases prices and I would still have to choose cities like Toronto, Montreal, London, Paris,Melbourne, etc right?

Old 07-20-2016, 10:16 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
All great points. Thank you.

What about New Orleans? I met different owners and curators who were from various parts of the world and the other half from the US.

Going abroad increases prices and I would still have to choose cities like Toronto, Montreal, London, Paris,Melbourne, etc right?
I've met people who have moved to New Orleans, but after doing NYC. Who are you representing in this gallery? Will they bring people and clients with them?

Again, my experience is limited to a certain bubble--I don't know how the economy of galleries in smaller cities work outside of having first establishing some kind of presence, gallery or artist represented, in NYC or LA first so there could be a different path I don't know about. In that regard, I do think major tourist cities that are not major art market cities do seem to have a lot of galleries to sell their works so it must work out to some extent, but it seems to be a slightly different type of market.

London and to some extent Paris yes. Not so much Toronto, Montreal, or Melbourne. Berlin would even get you a better bet, I reckon.

To some extent, New Orleans seems like a good bet for you unless you have inroads elsewhere. You are still close to your support network in Baton Rouge and there is at least the touristic side of things where there are visitors coming in with money outside the community. It seems doable.

Though again, I think there are probably better and more specific forums for this topic that are not city data and especially not city vs city. Some of the cities mentioned so far here seem like almost obvious dead ends (then again, I might be completely misinformed) and are a lot more based on personal affectations for certain cities than they are for your actual topic at hand. There are a good several publications (with their websites and sometimes forums) and other forums which might be more helpful. What is most helpful is to talk to your actual real life acquaintances or to search and find people online to personally strike up a correspondence. The art market is very, very much about your personal acquaintances as far as I can tell.

Just to check though--you're thinking about actually opening a gallery or are you trying to show at one that's already established? These are somewhat different things.

I've enjoyed your photos as far as I've seen them--at the very least, memorable enough that I attribute them to you in memory. Maybe if you're thinking of being more about being on the practitioner side of things, it might behoove you to think of what subject matters are going to actually get you motivated to be out and shooting.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 07-20-2016 at 10:30 PM..

Old 07-20-2016, 10:20 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,737,144 times
Quote:
Neither peak my interests honestly. Never been to either but they don't grab my attention.

In Madison or Atlanta?
May I DM you about it?

Well not in CC, I don't even know the boundaries but craigslist shows some near CC for under $1000. They might be terrible, I don't know but that's a good enough indication for me.

New Orleans has 2 as well.

Funny, because neither of those are in the French Quarter haha. They are in the Warehouse District and Bywater.

Thing is, I'm not looking for a New Orleans light, but something equal in the arts scene or better.
I would imagine that NO is a good bit ahead of Louisville. New Orleans is likely too small for what I want, but it feels larger. It's energy is that of a much bigger city.
I wasn't comparing Louisville to those cities saying that they are equal or anything lol.

I really want to visit and get a feel for the city but I'm afraid that it won't live up. Plus it sucks that you're one of the only people that bring Louisville up.
Well. Just come and visit! But visit for an event. I think you will be surprised how active it is. Tons of people are talking about Louisville. Maybe not on these boards, but there is a huge national buzz on the place.

Old 07-21-2016, 06:57 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
It's in the same boat as New Orleans.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:08 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,815,815 times
I'd say Rochester NY. Tons of young and old artsy folks around here. Lots of college students as well. Low cost of living and within an hour of both Buffalo and Syracuse. Plus Rochester is known as the imaging capital of the world. Photography is very popular in this area overall.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:59 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
I'd say Rochester NY. Tons of young and old artsy folks around here. Lots of college students as well. Low cost of living and within an hour of both Buffalo and Syracuse. Plus Rochester is known as the imaging capital of the world. Photography is very popular in this area overall.
Good points and there is the Neighborhood of the Arts as well: Neighborhood of the Arts - Rochester Wiki

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1595...8i6656!6m1!1e1

While it is a metro of just over 1 million people and slightly less than New Orleans, I don't know if the OP wants a bigger area. if interested, here is some more information about Rochester neighborhoods: Rochester Neighborhoods - Rochester Wiki

Old 07-21-2016, 11:09 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,518 times
I'm a photographer myself, and I'd definitely say either New York or South Florida, there's so many connections and opportunities to be made within both cities, I'd even throw in Atlanta as well, along with smaller cities between NYC and Miami. There's plenty of aspiring Models, Artists, Musicians, Photographers, etc. who are looking for opportunities to expand their craft. Birmingham, Louisville, and Richmond has some nice popup urban venues scattered across the city.

Avondale is growing into a nice area with bars, restaurants, retail, and etc. with a couple of pop up spots along 41st Street. Box Row is soon to be built which will bring more pop-up businesses within the area.

Quote:
SIP, SHOP, EAT OR MEET. YOU CAN DO IT ALL AT BIRMINGHAM’S HOTTEST NEW ADDRESS: BOX ROW AVONDALE. IT’S AN INSPIRING NEW LOCATION FOR INNOVATIVE STARTUPS, CREATIVE BOUTIQUES, BELOVED BRANDS AND REFRESHING CONCEPT CAFES, PACKAGED IN A ROW OF REPURPOSED SHIPPING CRATES. HIP HAS FOUND A NEW HOME.
But yeah I think you should definitely look into South Florida, NYC, and Atlanta; the environments are very diverse, supportive, and aspiring. Check out some of these cool links...

https://www.instagram.com/thevoidmiami/
https://www.instagram.com/uzumaki.gallery/
MISHERU
AFROPUNK FEST Brooklyn 2016

Old 07-21-2016, 12:08 PM

23,450 posts, read 44,061,014 times
To me a perfect venue would be a 'weekend town' that attracts well-heeled visitors from nearby metros. Examples:

Leavenworth, WA (Seattle)
Half Moon Bay, CA (San Francisco)
Ojai, CA (Los Angeles/Santa Barbara)
Flagstaff, AZ (Phoenix)
Estes Park, CO (Denver)
Ridgefield, CT (NYC)
New Hope, PA (Philadelphia)
Frederick, MD (DC/Baltimore)
Dahlonega, GA (Atlanta)
Fredericksburg, TX (Austin/San Antonio/Dallas)
Lake Geneva, WI (Chicago)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City