Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 12:17 PM

54 posts, read 65,656 times

Advertisements

Check out this video about RVA's art scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RAUzAfhRxA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 12:23 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
To me a perfect venue would be a 'weekend town' that attracts well-heeled visitors from nearby metros. Examples:

Leavenworth, WA (Seattle)
Half Moon Bay, CA (San Francisco)
Ojai, CA (Los Angeles/Santa Barbara)
Flagstaff, AZ (Phoenix)
Estes Park, CO (Denver)
Ridgefield, CT (NYC)
New Hope, PA (Philadelphia)
Frederick, MD (DC/Baltimore)
Dahlonega, GA (Atlanta)
Fredericksburg, TX (Austin/San Antonio/Dallas)
Lake Geneva, WI (Chicago)
So, would these communities fit as well? Art Along the Hudson | Your Guide to Art Happenings in the Hudson Valley

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-21-2016 at 01:37 PM..

Old 07-21-2016, 12:33 PM

23,450 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Oh, for sure! There were just too many to name in Upstate NY!

Old 07-21-2016, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Oh, for sure! There were just too many to name in Upstate NY!
What may help is that they aren't too far from NYC. Beacon is a small city only about an hour away and has train access into NYC. Beacon Arts | Where Art, Culture, and the Hudson River meet.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:56 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I've met people who have moved to New Orleans, but after doing NYC. Who are you representing in this gallery? Will they bring people and clients with them?

Again, my experience is limited to a certain bubble--I don't know how the economy of galleries in smaller cities work outside of having first establishing some kind of presence, gallery or artist represented, in NYC or LA first so there could be a different path I don't know about. In that regard, I do think major tourist cities that are not major art market cities do seem to have a lot of galleries to sell their works so it must work out to some extent, but it seems to be a slightly different type of market.

London and to some extent Paris yes. Not so much Toronto, Montreal, or Melbourne. Berlin would even get you a better bet, I reckon.

To some extent, New Orleans seems like a good bet for you unless you have inroads elsewhere. You are still close to your support network in Baton Rouge and there is at least the touristic side of things where there are visitors coming in with money outside the community. It seems doable.

Though again, I think there are probably better and more specific forums for this topic that are not city data and especially not city vs city. Some of the cities mentioned so far here seem like almost obvious dead ends (then again, I might be completely misinformed) and are a lot more based on personal affectations for certain cities than they are for your actual topic at hand. There are a good several publications (with their websites and sometimes forums) and other forums which might be more helpful. What is most helpful is to talk to your actual real life acquaintances or to search and find people online to personally strike up a correspondence. The art market is very, very much about your personal acquaintances as far as I can tell.

Just to check though--you're thinking about actually opening a gallery or are you trying to show at one that's already established? These are somewhat different things.

I've enjoyed your photos as far as I've seen them--at the very least, memorable enough that I attribute them to you in memory. Maybe if you're thinking of being more about being on the practitioner side of things, it might behoove you to think of what subject matters are going to actually get you motivated to be out and shooting.
I'm not coming to City-Data looking for the best advice. Trust me.

I'm thinking about opening one, it wouldn't be soon though. There are local artists I know who would bring clients with them, although I haven't talked to anyone about it.

I am motivated by urban and cityscape photography mixed in with street. Long exposures are my forte. The overall theme would depend on the location.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's in the same boat as New Orleans.
I use Trulia crime maps and Baltimore seems to have crime in more places. IDK though. I like how it's close to DC but I would imagine people from DC don't travel into Baltimore much.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:22 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I use Trulia crime maps and Baltimore seems to have crime in more places. IDK though. I like how it's close to DC but I would imagine people from DC don't travel into Baltimore much.
Not too much but Baltimore has its own very sizable tourist base...it doesn't need to rely on visitors from DC.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:32 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,470,077 times
Old town Scottsdale, over 250 art galleries in the district....and it's not just big names who have galleries there.

Old 07-22-2016, 05:19 AM

Just curious, but would socio-cultural aspects also play a part in terms of a new location, annie_himself?

Old 07-22-2016, 09:20 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Not too much but Baltimore has its own very sizable tourist base...it doesn't need to rely on visitors from DC.
I would imagine the buying power of DC residents would be something to count on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
Old town Scottsdale, over 250 art galleries in the district....and it's not just big names who have galleries there.
250 in a neighborhood in Scottsdale?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Just curious, but would socio-cultural aspects also play a part in terms of a new location, annie_himself?
Absolutely. Which is why I lean towards cities with a strong local culture.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:28 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I would imagine the buying power of DC residents would be something to count on.
There's not much regular tourist-based interaction between the two cities. This is why the region is a CSA as opposed to a singular MSA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City