Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 09:20 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,808,696 times

Advertisements

One thing I would mention about Minneapolis - the culture is extremely art friendly and makes the environment conducive to creative endeavors. The problem is that sometimes it seems like everybody in the city is really good at art/music/writing etc. which makes it hard to make a living doing it. Lots and lots of competition. It does drive people to be on top of their game though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 10:21 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,735,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_atw View Post
Cincinnati has an economy similar to Cleveland.
Savannah and New Orleans would seem to work to me well - but there is likely lots of competition. Savannah is probably more expensive than you might want to pay.
Louisville is cool - it's not a wealthy city though. More college-town, both in its establishments and general atmosphere. The "hip" areas of town mostly cater to food and drink.
Philly surely caters to old money and would serve your style.
Louisville has one of the wealthiest zip codes in the usa and two small suburbs in the top 100 wealthiest places. Louisville is a very wealthy, old money city. Louisville is a mid major city.i can see how u may have informed your opinion if you stayed dt, drove to Churchill, and walked Bardstown Rd. But your assessment is off. Louisville is am "old money" city

Old 07-24-2016, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_atw View Post
Louisville is a college town more than a tourism center.
Its the 35th largest csa, has multiple colleges, the 3rd ranked art fair, HUNDREDS of art galleries with two monthly art gallery hops.

There are thousands of hotel rooms in development downtown, and 11 hotels under construction or proposed downtown alone.

Your experience based on a college music festival(also ranked top 30 in the usa) is not an adequate gauge of the city.

Louisville attracted 20 million tourists last year, about as much as Cleveland and almost as much as STL which had 23.9 million . Louisville is a very hard city to judge in a weekend and its not flashy, so I can see where u get the college town vibe especially with UofL.

Columbus and Austin are similar but also far from "college towns". Louisville is also unique im that no other mid sized city has an international event like Derby (or Thunder). so i think thats why Louisville has more than it would but the place is very vibrant year round

Old 07-24-2016, 11:03 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Its the 35th largest csa, has multiple colleges, the 3rd ranked art fair, HUNDREDS of art galleries with two monthly art gallery hops.

There are thousands of hotel rooms in development downtown, and 11 hotels under construction or proposed downtown alone.

Your experience based on a college music festival(also ranked top 30 in the usa) is not an adequate gauge of the city.

Louisville attracted 20 million tourists last year, about as much as Cleveland and almost as much as STL which had 23.9 million . Louisville is a very hard city to judge in a weekend and its not flashy, so I can see where u get the college town vibe especially with UofL.

Columbus and Austin are similar but also far from "college towns". Louisville is also unique im that no other mid sized city has an international event like Derby (or Thunder). so i think thats why Louisville has more than it would but the place is very vibrant year round
You actually think Louisville is the only midsized city in the country that hosts an annual event that gets international attention???????

Old 07-25-2016, 05:38 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,620,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Yeah, I've heard that Richmond is up and coming. And when I say that, I mean I've heard it in the real world, not just from boosters on internet forums. I don't know if it is big enough to support a lot of artists who make art for a living though.
As best I could find, a 2013 document published by VCU has 2,084 artists residing in Richmond-Petersburg. I don't know how that compares to other cities, but it is possible it supports your statement that we aren't large enough for more artists...

I'd think we are, though. As you also mentioned, Richmond is pretty well-known nationally for its artistic scene, with a constantly elevating profile. VCU, by many publications, has THE top rated arts school in the nation; 38% of graduates remain in Richmond. Art is firmly and intricately woven into the city's culture...

Old 07-25-2016, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You actually think Louisville is the only midsized city in the country that hosts an annual event that gets international attention???????
Yes, but I guess it largely depends on what your definition of "midsized" is. You certainly won't find an event that big, covered on all national networks, E news, Entertainment Tonight, etc, in Birmingham, or Salt Lake, or Richmond, etc.

Now if you are talking when Oklahoma City is in the NBA playoffs, or the Saints in the Super Bowl, etc...maybe that counts...but otherwise, there is nothing like Derby for a metro in the 1-2 million range. No mid sized city has such a large event that puts them in the international spotlight every year. That's a fact. The Masters, really nothing compares to the size and scope of Derby and Derby Festival. Even Mardi Gras, as well know as it is known internationally, is not usually "covered" on all the networks for a day. The closest event of the size and scope could be the big Nascar Races, or Indy 500, Daytona 500, or Brickyard. But no one cares about that stuff internationally.

Seriously, find me an event that draws 170,000 people covered on international networks?
Then, find me an event like Thunder which is shown on the military network worldwide to millions for fourth of July? No mid sized city has an event that draws 800,000 people to their waterfront. Seriously, if you can find me an event broadcast annually in a metro under 2 million that draws crowds of 170k, and has multiple events that draw that amount or more, including close to a million people for a waterfront fireworks show, then lets see some data. Tons of mid sized cities have huge events, but none that are annual drawing these crowds and broadcast around the world, unless it is a pro sports championship.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Yes, but I guess it largely depends on what your definition of "midsized" is. You certainly won't find an event that big, covered on all national networks, E news, Entertainment Tonight, etc, in Birmingham, or Salt Lake, or Richmond, etc.

Now if you are talking when Oklahoma City is in the NBA playoffs, or the Saints in the Super Bowl, etc...maybe that counts...but otherwise, there is nothing like Derby for a metro in the 1-2 million range. No mid sized city has such a large event that puts them in the international spotlight every year. That's a fact. The Masters, really nothing compares to the size and scope of Derby and Derby Festival. Even Mardi Gras, as well know as it is known internationally, is not usually "covered" on all the networks for a day. The closest event of the size and scope could be the big Nascar Races, or Indy 500, Daytona 500, or Brickyard. But no one cares about that stuff internationally.

Seriously, find me an event that draws 170,000 people covered on international networks?
Then, find me an event like Thunder which is shown on the military network worldwide to millions for fourth of July? No mid sized city has an event that draws 800,000 people to their waterfront. Seriously, if you can find me an event broadcast annually in a metro under 2 million that draws crowds of 170k, and has multiple events that draw that amount or more, including close to a million people for a waterfront fireworks show, then lets see some data. Tons of mid sized cities have huge events, but none that are annual drawing these crowds and broadcast around the world, unless it is a pro sports championship.
Trying to use Richmond as a feeble attempt to boost Louisville, is an epic fail...

As it pertains to the thread, I don't know who has the better arts scene, but the OP would find himself in good company and with many suitors in Richmomd...

Old 07-25-2016, 07:58 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:

Had you stated that no other similar-sized city has an annual event that gets as much international coverage as the Derby, then I could see that. I'm guessing that's what you were getting at because otherwise, it read to me that you were saying that no other peer cities had events that garnered international attention which would be inaccurate.

Never heard of Thunder.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:40 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
You would be EXTREMELY, and I do mean that literally remiss to place Richmond in the category of cities who praise themselves but aren't truly artistic...
Quote:
Yeah, I've heard that Richmond is up and coming. And when I say that, I mean I've heard it in the real world, not just from boosters on internet forums. I don't know if it is big enough to support a lot of artists who make art for a living though.
murksiderock, is it big enough to make a living purely off of making art? Are you an artist in Richmond?
Quote:
One thing I would mention about Minneapolis - the culture is extremely art friendly and makes the environment conducive to creative endeavors. The problem is that sometimes it seems like everybody in the city is really good at art/music/writing etc. which makes it hard to make a living doing it. Lots and lots of competition. It does drive people to be on top of their game though.
What does the colder weather do to urban areas and pedestrian activity?
Would street and urban art be unique to the scene or is it popular in Minneapolis?
Quote:

Hundreds of galleries?
That's what I would think about NYC.

Where do you see the tourism count for Louisville? NOLA counted over 10 million in 2015, there's no way Louisville beat it there.
I've never heard of Thunder either.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:52 AM

Count me as the third person whose never heard of Thunder. Maybe it's not as well-known as @Peter believes...

@annie, I am not an artist in Richmond. I have a flat at the Butterworth's building in Downtown Petersburg and there are about 25 artists who live there. Also, where I live in Jackson Ward I am around numerous people with artistic sensibilities (photographers, musicians, clothing designers). About 4 of these are actual friends of mine...

Can I speak from firsthand experience? No. Is Richmond large enough for you to make a living on art? Yes, but it is competitive. Can you do better in a larger city? Possibly...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City