Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 09:44 AM

561 posts, read 514,295 times

Advertisements

You could also include-

Cowboys vs 49ers, Cowboys vs Steelers and Cowboys vs Packers.. Along with the already mentioned Cowboys vs the NFC East..

Peace...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 09:49 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
Saw this on NFL Network a few months ago:

A Tale of Two Cities | NFL.com

'A Tale Of Two Cities' shines light on an all-time rivalry - NFL.com

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/49ers%...owboys_rivalry

It detailed the difference between the two cities at that time.
Yeah. As a Cowboy fan, the Niners Cowboys is easily one of my faves. Even more than Cowboys Giants and Cowboys Eagles.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:56 PM

708 posts, read 999,357 times
Atlanta and New Orleans- (Especially Falcons vs saints) #RISEUP #BLEWDAT But in reality vs NFC South.

Old 07-23-2016, 01:32 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigATL View Post
Atlanta and New Orleans- (Especially Falcons vs saints) #RISEUP #BLEWDAT But in reality vs NFC South.
I know this is misread but
Reality vs NFC South is the best rivalry in all of sports.

Old 07-23-2016, 05:36 PM

561 posts, read 514,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah. As a Cowboy fan, the Niners Cowboys is easily one of my faves. Even more than Cowboys Giants and Cowboys Eagles.
I am also a Cowboys fan and agree completely ..

Peace...

Old 07-23-2016, 06:26 PM

311 posts, read 314,004 times
I was thinking Eagles-Cowboys as well.

Old 07-24-2016, 02:10 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Well with Hockey it is more they feel like Southerners (or more like US that's not New England/Upper Midwest) are stealing their sport and the NHL belongs to them.
Its roots are when Quebec City and Winnipeg lost teams during the great Southern Expansion. There are some similar feelings in New England that lost the Whalers, and many AHL teams over the years to Southern/Western Towns, but it is much more pronounced in Canada.
It would be like US teams all hating the Blue Jays because they are trying to usurp an American game.
Bovada's early odds for the Stanley Cup in 2017.

The Top 16 teams in the NHL on early odds to win the title:

The bottom 14 teams in the NHL, longshots to win the title:

All of the Canadian teams are projected to have another dismal year, possibly all 7 missing the playoffs again, at least Bovada thinks so.

If what you're saying is accurate then my understanding is that their logic pertains to hating success in markets where they believe ice hockey isn't an integral part of the culture and identity (the American Sunbelt) whereas the "legion" of loyal hockey fans in Canada were subjected to watching a sport they love with zero representation in the playoffs last season from their country.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 07-24-2016 at 03:09 PM..

Old 07-24-2016, 02:16 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,109,900 times
At least most of the players are Canadians, I guess (although I don't cheer for other NBA, MLB & NFL teams once mine is out of contention just because they are filled with other Americans..).

Old 07-24-2016, 03:36 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Bovada's early odds for the Stanley Cup in 2017.

The Top 16 teams in the NHL on early odds to win the title:

The bottom 14 teams in the NHL, longshots to win the title:

All of the Canadian teams are projected to have another dismal year, possibly all 7 missing the playoffs again, at least Bovada thinks so.

If what you're saying is accurate then my understanding is that their logic pertains to hating success in markets where they believe ice hockey isn't an integral part of the culture and identity (the American Sunbelt) whereas the "legion" of loyal hockey fans in Canada were subjected to watching a sport they love with zero representation in the playoffs last season from their country.
The thing is the hatred is amplified when teams are bad.
For example this year they picked on the Hurricanes mocking empty seats, and pointed out the Panthers won't make a profit, as proof southerners will never understand Hockey and how Yellowknife is a better Hockey Market than Dallas.
While ignoring the fact Buffalo failed to make money, and Vancouver had plenty of empties.
Even a franchise successful on and off the Ice such as Nashville they find an excuse to hate because their goal song is a country song, and that just doesn't belong in Hockey.
It isn't the sunbelt's success it is their existence that angers some Canadian fans.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:04 PM

3,866 posts, read 3,142,994 times
I remember when Houston had the Oilers football team in the AFC Central with the Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns, and Pittsburgh Steelers. Because it was it was such a change of pace and different city then the other 3 cities it made more intriguing and interesting especially when Houston had to come up north in the winter snow to play or the Steelers, Bengals and Browns had to go down and play in the Astrodome. On top of that the Houston Astros baseball team was in the NL central with the Cincinnati Reds, Chicago Cubs, St Louis Cardinals, and Pittsburgh Pirates. When all the cities are kinda similar and close proximity to each other you kinda need a change a pace to keep things lively and interesting. I kind of miss that rivalry. Sort of similar to the Dallas Cowboys being in the NFC East.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City