Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your favorite of the three?
Berkeley, CA 10 27.78%
Cambridge, MA 20 55.56%
Evanston, IL 6 16.67%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 11:30 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,429,010 times

Advertisements

I'm considering law school in all three of these towns/cities haha.

Do you think a political moderate who leans Republican could survive in Berkeley?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 12:08 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,574,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRam View Post

Do you think a political moderate who leans Republican could survive in Berkeley?
i assume harvard-kennedy (does mit even have a law school) ?
dont wanna' sound like a harvard elitist (i dont even know anyone that went to harvard) but isnt it the best law school ?

Old 07-26-2016, 03:06 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times
Quote:
Then you have good taste and prioritize the best situation for yourself and the advancement of your career.

Between the schools in these three, really, you couldn't go wrong with any of them.

The Top 15 Elite Law Schools in the United States, 2016:
01. Yale University
02. Harvard University =TIE
02. Stanford University =TIE
04. Columbia University =TIE
05. University of Chicago =TIE
06. New York University
07. University of Pennsylvania
08. University of California - Berkeley =TIE
08. University of Michigan at Ann Arbor =TIE
08. University of Virginia =TIE
11. Duke University
12. Northwestern University
13. Cornell University
14. Georgetown University
15. University of Texas at Austin

Graduate Schools: Best Law Schools in the United States by US News and World Report

Chicago is one of the "Big 3" cities to practice law, the nation's largest and most profitable firm is in Chicago and so are several other firms that are large, important, and have profound influence on the legal field across America. The San Francisco Bay Area is also a Top 5 place to practice law as well. The Greater Boston area is also likely a very good place for lawyers too. So couldn't go wrong with any of the 3 places in those regards either.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 07-26-2016 at 03:17 PM..

Old 07-26-2016, 03:17 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Boalt has a Federalist Society. So yeah.

https://www.law.berkeley.edu/student...at-boalt-hall/

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
dont wanna' sound like a harvard elitist (i dont even know anyone that went to harvard) but isnt it the best law school ?
No. Yale has much smaller classes and a larger percentage of its graduates land appellate clerkships and teaching jobs. Harvard pumps out more of everything because of its sheer numbers, but Yalies land more prestigious jobs on average.

The sort of holy grail of jobs goes something like this...

SCOTUS clerkship (preferably with Breyer)
Appellate clerkship (preferably with a SCOTUS feeder or D.C. Circuit, 1st, 2nd or 9th Circuits)
Law professor at Ivy League school or Stanford
White House Office of Legal Counsel
Solicitor General's Office
DOJ Federal Programs
U.S. Attorney's Office Southern District of New York
Associate at Cravath

Those are pretty much the most prestigious jobs you can land. All you need to do is get into one of the top 3 schools, get on law review, and rank at the top of your class. Piece of cake!

Last edited by BajanYankee; 07-26-2016 at 03:38 PM..

Old 07-26-2016, 04:50 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intheclouds1 View Post
Cambridge. It's relatively diverse, and is full of college students and young people...which make for a fun atmosphere. IT'S SAFE(rules out Oakland) and FUN (rules out Evanston). It's the higher income hub of North America and has easy access to Boston.
You do know Oakland and Berkeley are completely separate cities? And the "bad" parts of Oakland (East Oakland, where most of the crime happens) are no where near/on the opposite side of the city of the Berkeley border?

I like Cambridge a lot, but Berkeley is more interesting of a city. Full of tons of college students, too - with a more lively "going out" culture than Cambridge/Boston (I was always surprised how sleepy the nightlife could be in Boston when I lived there - still loved the city, though). Which is kind of saying something because SF/Oak/Berkeley's nightlife culture isn't super crazy, either (compared to NYC, LA, or Chicago).

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 07-26-2016 at 04:59 PM..

Old 07-26-2016, 05:29 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Quote:

Northwestern's law school is in downtown Chicago in Streeterville. It's like 6 blocks away from Navy Pier for some reference.

As for schools, I'd put my focus on getting a good LSAT score if you haven't done so already, and then evaluating where fits you best / where you want to apply.

Last edited by PerseusVeil; 07-26-2016 at 05:46 PM..

Old 07-27-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Northwestern's law school is in downtown Chicago in Streeterville. It's like 6 blocks away from Navy Pier for some reference.

As for schools, I'd put my focus on getting a good LSAT score if you haven't done so already, and then evaluating where fits you best / where you want to apply.
That's good to know; actually completely changes my thinking....

Old 07-27-2016, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Then you have good taste and prioritize the best situation for yourself and the advancement of your career.

Chicago is one of the "Big 3" cities to practice law, the nation's largest and most profitable firm is in Chicago and so are several other firms that are large, important, and have profound influence on the legal field across America. The San Francisco Bay Area is also a Top 5 place to practice law as well. The Greater Boston area is also likely a very good place for lawyers too. So couldn't go wrong with any of the 3 places in those regards either.
Thank you! The goal is to go to one of those top 15 schools (with as little debt as possible haha). I'm sure I'll be making a thread about it once all the decisions are in.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:53 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Evanston has changed in recent years; nothing very snoozy about it.
I agree; the other two are overpriced, overtaxed, overly liberal and overrated.

Old 07-27-2016, 03:51 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Yeah actually it's also a very nice. One of the select areas I would choose to live in Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City