Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fastest evolving place of the three?
Greater Miami/Fort Lauderdale (MIA) 24 20.87%
Greater Toronto Area (the GTA) 44 38.26%
Greater Washington DC (the DMV) 47 40.87%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 10:01 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
2001 vs 2014.

8 years apart:

Culturally over the last few years we've seen Toronto artists like Drake, Justin Bieber, The Weeknd, Shawn Mendes, and Alessia Cara be tossed into the forefront of global music like never before. Likewise Toronto sports teams have started to enjoy success for the first time in decades, with Toronto hosting its first ever NBA all star game last February.

The rest of your criteria you provide no justification for your answers.
I was getting rready to say, you've got to do more than show us skyscrapers here to win this thread.

Old 02-04-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geographybee View Post
IMO, the micro-level is more important in the change in a city. DC will never have a skyline, so its change may be harder to see. The micro-level is what residents experienced day to day, and there is no denying DC has changed more than Toronto, and way more than Miami.
This is absolutely true, all these Toronto and Miami posters are showing us high rise condo pictures. Impressive yes, but not the end all be all of an evolving city.

Not to mention this is about "Metropolis" which IMO if we include entire metro I think the most rapidly evolved goes something like DC>>>Miami>>>Toronto.

By city only I'd go DC>>>Toronto>>>Miami

Old 02-04-2018, 10:20 AM

3,197 posts, read 2,656,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
This is absolutely true, all these Toronto and Miami posters are showing us high rise condo pictures. Impressive yes, but not the end all be all of an evolving city.

Not to mention this is about "Metropolis" which IMO if we include entire metro I think the most rapidly evolved goes something like DC>>>Miami>>>Toronto.

By city only I'd go DC>>>Toronto>>>Miami
I've never lived in DC, so may you please explain to me how it has changed the most compared to these other cities? I lived in the other two so I know the changes there, but not much about DC honestly.

Old 02-04-2018, 11:14 AM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
What markets are really expanding fastest in these three cities just curious. I know Miami is Latin American Banking, and (Port?) ... but what are each three cities seeing a surge of compared to other slower growing cities like Philadelphia, NYC and Cleveland?

Pretty neat to see how all three cities have changed so much! I live so close to Toronto, and every year it gets more and more interesting to go visit. (As well as DC too, just love the Arlington area)

Old 02-04-2018, 11:15 AM

615 posts, read 599,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
What markets are really expanding fastest in these three cities just curious. I know Miami is Latin American Banking, and (Port?) ... but what are each three cities seeing a surge of compared to other slower growing cities like Philadelphia, NYC and Cleveland?

Pretty neat to see how all three cities have changed so much! I live so close to Toronto, and every year it gets more and more interesting to go visit. (As well as DC too, just love the Arlington area)
Toronto's tech market is the fastest growing in North America.

Old 02-04-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
I've never lived in DC, so may you please explain to me how it has changed the most compared to these other cities? I lived in the other two so I know the changes there, but not much about DC honestly.
I'd start of by saying these may be the three most rapidly evolved cities in North America the past 20 years so even to rank them 1-3 doesn't mean that the 3rd one hasn't seen a tremendous amount of changes.

For DC, the city has changed the past twenty years on multiple levels:

Crime

Washington DC was where Chicago is now in terms of murders per capita only 25 years ago at about 400 murders/ yr. Now somewhere around 120 per year.

Housing

DC is a top 3 gentrified city with SF and NYC no other American cities have seen more displacement than DC which has more on the horizon. Median home values have close to doubled the past couple decades. DC saw a record number of apartment deliveries in 2017, and this is years after government sequestration and cutbacks.

Affordability

DC has risen it's cache to one of the least affordable cities in the country, and the #1 least affordable to raise a family.

Restaurants/ Dining

DC has under gone a mega boom (not a boom, a mega-boom) in terms of its restaurant and dining profile in comparison to where it was 20 plus years ago. The number of celebrity chefs and Michelin starred restaurants based in the city reflect this. Only NY, Chicago, and SF also have Michelin guides in the U.S. The city has added much more than just fine dining however, and has an extremely diverse food scene with cuisines from all over the globe.

Entertainment

Just way more options overall, would take a long time to go down the difference in how much more there is available to do here after 5pm on a weekday. You'd have to live here to understand.

Urban Amenities/ Parks

Per capita DC has made itself one of the best urban centers as far as amenities, #3 bike share system in the U.S., world's first LEED certified city, again a very long list of accomplishments here would take forever to explain. Multiple stadiums and concert venues have been recently added to the city's profile.

Transportation

I'm not certain about how it compared 20-25 years ago, but today Washington DC is the 2nd most transit based city after NYC. Only that city has more transit share from a major city percentage wise. I also don't know of another American city (maybe Los Angeles) that comes close in "heavy rail" expansion of their transit system the past 15 years than DC. Not to mention a new light rail line under construction in the immediate suburbs connecting to the Metro.

In terms of air travel the regions airports see over 70 million passengers per year now, more than Toronto and about on par with Miami.

Schools

This although still a work in progress has been still a drastic shift in the direction of a public school system that has been majority black/minority the past number of decades. The metro area's suburbs have some of the best public schools in the US.

Increased diversity

The city proper has changed vastly here and is much more diverse than it used to be, although on paper it won't show close to the diversity of an NY or LA. The metro area however has exploded in diversity and every year increasingly approaches the diversity levels that you would find in NYC or LA, the way a real Capitol city should.

This also should apply to the diversification of the region's economy to some extent which has been adding non-government related jobs like Lyft, Yelp, Nestle, and Facebook to the city and region's job profile.

Finally DC's construction and skyline changes:

Yes DC is without a true "skyline" to the likes of Miami or Toronto, but from the ground the city has drastically shifted. Entire neighborhoods throughout all four quadrants of the city have gone from blighted or under used, to 8-12 story mixed use residential strips miles away from Downtown. The District itself has had multiple nodes of major development going on for decades now, with no end in sight.

Not mention true skyscrapers finally coming and some have already arrived to the suburbs of Washington.

Old 02-04-2018, 11:46 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
While it's technically true that Toronto has more high-rises and skyscrapers than Miami, what you're listing isn't an apples to apples comparison because Miami includes only about 36 square miles of area while Toronto encompasses 243 square miles of area. Meanwhile, many of the other small municipalities close to or adjacent to Miami are host to many high-rises and skyscrapers.

I'm pretty sure that the GTA has more high-rises than the Miami metropolitan area, and that's probably the more apt comparison to make.

Old 02-04-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
While it's technically true that Toronto has more high-rises and skyscrapers than Miami, what you're listing isn't an apples to apples comparison because Miami includes only about 36 square miles of area while Toronto encompasses 243 square miles of area. Meanwhile, many of the other small municipalities close to or adjacent to Miami are host to many high-rises and skyscrapers.

I'm pretty sure that the GTA has more high-rises than the Miami metropolitan area, and that's probably the more apt comparison to make.
The vast majority of the development and buildings in Toronto are in the <37 sq mile core.

The metro areas are incomparable. Given what is u/c, proposed, and existing in Humber Bay and Mississauga, either of those alone could rival Miami's "core".

Miami:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4667/...10e2c9b1_b.jpg

Humber Bay shores:
http://urbantoronto.ca/sites/default...480-101809.jpg
https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/37313361540/

Old 02-04-2018, 12:04 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
The vast majority of the development and buildings in Toronto are in the <37 sq mile core.

The metro areas are incomparable. Given what is u/c, proposed, and existing in Humber Bay and Mississauga, either of those alone could rival Miami's "core".

Miami:
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4667/...10e2c9b1_b.jpg

Humber Bay shores:
http://urbantoronto.ca/sites/default...480-101809.jpg
https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/37313361540/
Right, and most of Miami's core is oriented towards the water and people don't realize that Miami Beach (and its South Beach neighborhood) aren't actually a part of Miami proper. This is why it's not an apples to apples comparison.

However, I still think with doing an apples to apples comparison, whether it's to pare things down to get to just the cores of both, or to expand out Miami to get a more comparable area or to expand this into more of a metropolitan area comparison, Toronto will have more high-rises.

In the link that I was responding to, it had Toronto listed as having 53 buildings at 500 feet and over--that's what that article cited as a cut-off and that included buildings not within Old Toronto (but still Toronto boundaries). In his other link for Miami proper, that 500 feet cut off yields 43 buildings and each of them are oriented towards the harbor on the other side of which are the barrier islands and their beaches which are what most visitors think of as Miami and themselves have buildings over 500 feet such as the two in Miami Beach and 9 in Sunny Isles Beach. Sure, these are arbitrary cut-offs of height, but the point is to try to make an apples to apples comparison and work from there.

Old 02-04-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Right, and most of Miami's core is oriented towards the water and people don't realize that Miami Beach (and its South Beach neighborhood) aren't actually a part of Miami proper. This is why it's not an apples to apples comparison.

However, I still think with doing an apples to apples comparison, whether it's to pare things down to get to just the cores of both, or to expand out Miami to get a more comparable area or to expand this into more of a metropolitan area comparison, Toronto will have more high-rises.
I don't see any situation where you could make the argument that Miami has manhattanized or is manhattanizing more rapidly than Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City