U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fastest evolving place of the three?
Greater Miami/Fort Lauderdale (MIA) 24 20.87%
Greater Toronto Area (the GTA) 44 38.26%
Greater Washington DC (the DMV) 47 40.87%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 02:43 PM

6,804 posts, read 9,088,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
Other cities/metropolitan areas that have changed A LOT, from my experience(bold) and from what I've heard in my business circles: Toronto, D.C, Atlanta, Philly, Montreal , Dallas, Miami
Pretty good list, just one takeaway from it;

I would take Philadelphia out and put Houston, Vancouver, Seattle, and San Francisco Bay Area in since Houston has led America in population growth for 15 years straight (it adds more people in 1.5 months than Greater Philadelphia does a whole year) and composition diversity growth along with several other things (housing permits, retail, multifamily units, office space construction, GDP and TPI growth, so on and so forth). Seattle is seeing an enormous amount of activity and developments in every facet, especially in the city core and is one of the fastest infilling cities in America now. The San Francisco Bay Area's economy has been the most transformative in America in that same time span, as well. Both Houston and the San Francisco Bay Area have also been top 5 in overseas private investment every year since 2010 as well.

Vancouver's transformation is more or less well chronicled now. Its housing market makes headlines practically every month because of how quickly prices have skyrocketed due to the excessive demand for the limited supply driven by overseas investors.

Philadelphia doesn't belong in the discussion, in my personal opinion.

What's been going on in Montreal?

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 07-25-2016 at 03:50 PM..
Rate this post positively

Old 07-25-2016, 02:58 PM

1,181 posts, read 838,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Pretty good list, just one takeaway from it;

I would take Philadelphia out and put Houston and San Francisco Bay Area in since Houston has led America in population growth for 15 years straight (it adds more people in 1.5 months than Greater Philadelphia does a whole year) and composition diversity growth along with several other things (housing permits, retail, multifamily units, office space construction, GDP and TPI growth, so on and so forth). The San Francisco Bay Area's economy has been the most transformative in America in that same time span, as well. Both Houston and the San Francisco Bay Area have also been top 5 in overseas private investment every year since 2010 as well.

Honestly, Philadelphia doesn't belong in the discussion whatsoever.

What's been going on in Montreal?
Montreal from 10 years ago till now is a major change. besides them finally fixing infrastructure, such as new highways being built, bridges, proposed 67km long light rail line. It's super international now, not a day goes by without hearing (besides French and English) Italian, Spanish, Chinese, Korean, Punjab, Arabic, etc.. New neighbourhoods are popping out of nowhere (Griffintown, Le triangle) its a top 20 financial centre, businesses from Europe, Asia and Latin America are investing, top 20 start up city, it's coined as the cultural centre of the whole country and top world wide, art scene has always been here but now we're getting recognised finally, the list goes on and it's crazy how much the city has transformed.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
Montreal from 10 years ago till now is a major change. besides them finally fixing infrastructure, we have new highways being built, bridges, proposed 67km long light rail line, super international now, not a day goes by without hearing (besides French and English) Italian, Spanish, Chinese, Korean, Punjab, Arabic, etc.. New neighbourhoods are popping out of nowhere (Griffintown, Le triangle) its a top 20 financial centre, businesses from Europe, Asia and Latin America are investing, top 20 start up city, it's just transformed so much.
Absolutely, I agree. Montreal is one of the most cosmopolitan cities in all of North America. I'm an American raised Southeast Asian and the first time I visited Montreal was when I was 8 years old with my mum, dad, and siblings and it was actually for a cultural event that only Montreal was hosting that year in all of North America.

I'm not Punjabi but I am familiar with Pubjabi culture and what I noticed in Montreal was how many Punjabi musicians and artists there were relative to what you see anywhere else in North America, save for maybe Vancouver. The Arab community is also huge in Montreal (the falafel and lamb kabob restaurants are an immediate giveaway). As well as the Northern African community and several of the cultures you listed and some others that we haven't listed as well.

I've been looking at the infill projects in Greater Montreal, most specifically the central core of Montreal, on another forum where I don't have an account but usually just lurk around and the infill is truly awe-inspiring because it is increasing structural density in the core of the city incrementally over time.

Montréal - SkyscraperPage Forum

Lots of construction in Central Montreal:
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3914/...22f26301_b.jpg

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 07-25-2016 at 03:24 PM..

Old 07-25-2016, 03:21 PM

Also, to Toronto, Miami, and Washington DC posters - this thread is more than welcoming to post upcoming projects and developments in each of these cities. Be it infrastructure, housing, retail, offices, entertainment venues or corridors, restaurants, nightlife areas, among the like.

If it is a project and/or development, it is very much welcome here in this thread. I actually encourage it, it would lighten the thread up and give it a sense of direction. I'll do my own compilation in a few days but if someone else wants to start it off, by all means go for it.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Absolutely, I agree. Montreal is one of the most cosmopolitan cities in all of North America. I'm an American raised Southeast Asian and the first time I visited Montreal was when I was 8 years old with my mum, dad, and siblings and it was actually for a cultural event that only Montreal was hosting that year in all of North America.

I'm not Punjabi but I am familiar with Pubjabi culture and what I noticed in Montreal was how many Punjabi musicians and artists there were relative to what you see anywhere else in North America, save for maybe Vancouver. The Arab community is also huge in Montreal (the falafel and lamb kabob restaurants are an immediate giveaway).

I've been looking at the infill projects in Greater Montreal, most specifically the central core of Montreal, on another forum where I don't have an account but usually just lurk around and the infill is truly awe-inspiring because it is increasing structural density in the core of the city incrementally over time.

Montréal - SkyscraperPage Forum

Lots of construction in Central Montreal:
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3914/...22f26301_b.jpg

Oh man don't get me started on all the food here, how i haven't gained 100 pounds by now beats me haha, and yeah downtown Montreal has gained many new residents, estimated population downtown is 120K, daytime population around the 600-750,000 mark. It's really encouraging to see all this happen, it's also about time this happens too.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:11 PM

I'll do a summary for all 3 metropolises within the next couple of days, starting with Miami (alphabetical order). I'll also add on to Miami's summarization at a later point when I have more time to write stuff up and proliferate statistics and data.

- Greater Miami/Fort Lauderdale:
The region is growing explosively both in terms of job growth and population growth. A lot of the things I am going to mention manitopiaaa has already covered (and proficiently at that) such as the fashion capital ascension, the banking and finance development, the demographical transformation, and other aspects.

As manitopiaa mentioned, Miami is now recognized as the third fashion capital of the United States of America and third overall in North America. It is a very real industry there with a very large fashion week and styles in clothing (particularly swim wear) that are showcased in Miami.

I made a thread on it a year ago, actually have done it two years in a row (back-to-back), and will do it again this year when there is an update to the list:

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...n-fashion.html

The fashion capital rankings go hand in hand with the luxury retail brands that have a presence in each city, although the fashion capitals are derived from more than just luxury retail stores and include things like fashion week, innovations, marketing, among the like. I've also created a thread tabulating about half of the total 300 luxury brands that I know of:

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...-presence.html

I'll be updating that thread at some point but as you'll notice, luxury retail brands that want a presence in America have to absolutely go through 3 cities in this very order; New York, Los Angeles, and Miami.

As manitopiaa explained, Miami is also a major banking and financial hub for Latin America. Several satellite offices and headquarters for several Latin American financial institutions are based in Miami. This is increasingly more the case now as several Latin American countries are in economically bad shape, their currencies are losing value, so investors and high net worth individuals in those countries typically park their money and investments overseas to ward off the uncertainty they face in their home country, which Miami is a primary beneficiary of.

Miami is the largest cruise port in all of the world and the cruise terminals at the Port of Miami are experiencing expansions to accommodate even more leisure visitors and larger and more cruise ships in the immediate future:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQaljog4AMo

In addition to the cruise terminals expanding, the entire Port of Miami is expanding to accommodate super-ships from the impending Panama Canal expansion that is to be completed this year.

| Miami Herald

Miami's airport is well documented for having the most number of foreign flag carriers in all of the United States outside of New York. The number is ever increasing as Miami typically adds a new carriers and new service destination every few weeks. In just the last 2 years alone, all 3 airports in Southeast Florida have gone on to add over 21 foreign flag carriers to the region. A North American record, by the way. The main airport, Miami International has been posting growth across the board, even beyond air service, passenger volume, and service destination. It has also been increasing in cargo exports and imports.

This is a database of all known projects on another forum, if you look at the database, there is a significant amount under construction and proposed in Miami. In 10 years the cityscape of the city will be dramatically different, as the tallest structure now wont even be in the top 10 if all goes according to plan. The blue dots indicate projects that are proposed, the green indicates the ones that are currently under construction, and if it doesn't have a color then it is already built:

Like manitopiaa mentioned, Miami's global portfolio has expanded at a brisk pace in the past 20 years. The city has diversified its market draw to Europe as well and today is one of the top immigration points from Europe into the United States. It has a significantly large foreign born European population across the board from each part of Europe. Its diversity is increasing even more than that too, it is already an ace with all of Latin America, increasingly all of Europe, and now has a fast growing Middle-Eastern, South Asian, and Filipino population as well. The city is also close to getting its first direct non-stop flight to the Far East from either a Chinese airlines, Japanese airlines, or EVA airlines from Taiwan.

Things to work on:
All economical. First it needs to start with further diversifying the region's economy and entering more broad categories across the spectrum. Research and development, medicine, law, digital animations, and other such industries/fields need to grow more in Miami and Southeast Florida in general. The region could use more investment in educational institutions of all levels and become more competitive with income levels nationally as well.

Miami also needs to look into expanding rapid transit even more as well and tying the region together more cohesively as the density continues to grow.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:27 PM

^ also to add, more high wage jobs, less income gap (cause it's ridiculous how every year the gap increases), and environmental concerns also, better to prepare now than later.

speaking of diversifying the economy, i stumbled on this link: https://miamiagentmagazine.com/2016/...-condo-market/

I've heard this within my business circles, currency trading friends and economical, they all say the same, hot market, too dependent on foreign investments in condos, and their cautious with the city, they also don't agree with all the hype the city gets, which i agree to an extent.

Last edited by djesus007; 07-25-2016 at 04:37 PM..

Old 07-25-2016, 06:44 PM

411 posts, read 641,200 times
For Toronto and Miami, a lot of the "growth" is really just rich people, especially from abroad, buying up real estate. It fuels a lot of construction and helps remake the skyline, but the fundamental change in the population/economy of the MSA isn't that significant.

DC grew a lot in 2010-15, but it's slowed recently.

SF/SV has changed a lot and made visible impacts on the world economy, but the changes aren't as visible in terms of new construction and skylines relative to Toronto/Miami, mainly due to restrictive housing regulations/laws.

Houston, Dallas, Austin have been fast growing and the latter two aren't likely to slow down due to falling oil prices

Old 07-25-2016, 07:23 PM

437 posts, read 793,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkup View Post
For Toronto and Miami, a lot of the "growth" is really just rich people, especially from abroad, buying up real estate. It fuels a lot of construction and helps remake the skyline, but the fundamental change in the population/economy of the MSA isn't that significant.

SF/SV has changed a lot and made visible impacts on the world economy, but the changes aren't as visible in terms of new construction and skylines relative to Toronto/Miami, mainly due to restrictive housing regulations/laws.

Houston, Dallas, Austin have been fast growing and the latter two aren't likely to slow down due to falling oil prices
Agreed. Miami, in terms of GNP, is an under-achiever. Just a whole lot of people doing nothing particularly value added. Lame. Not sure if DFW is the most 'evolving" metropolis in NA, but it sure beats the hell out of every city on this list, economically speaking.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkup View Post

Very true, but to be fair population growth in Toronto has been healthy, the city itself gets 35-40K a year. Miami on the other hand gets 9-10K (20K in the county roughly). But yes Toronto is indeed a big market for foreign investors, but at least they have a diversified economy and a very strong population growth. Speaking of Dallas and Austin, many of my friends in business tell me about the growth of the cities, and i would love to know more and see it for myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or