Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fastest evolving place of the three?
Greater Miami/Fort Lauderdale (MIA) 24 20.87%
Greater Toronto Area (the GTA) 44 38.26%
Greater Washington DC (the DMV) 47 40.87%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 11:31 AM

3,198 posts, read 2,658,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Crazy!

Geographybee must live in or near DC

Answer is .....Toronto ....then the rest.......have you even ever been to Toronto?,
I’m thinking no or many years ago.
Yeah, they've probably never gone to Toronto. It's clear that Toronto has changed the most compared to these cities, really not rocket science.

Old 02-03-2018, 11:36 AM

5,822 posts, read 5,630,594 times
Quote:
Crazy!

Answer is .....Toronto ....then the rest.......have you even ever been to Toronto?,
Geographybee is one if the new City-Data Northeast trolls....

Old 02-03-2018, 11:51 AM

615 posts, read 600,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
Why?..care to provide any reasons for your claim?...i live here in the DMV and the change in the central city over the last decade and change has been startling...its not all positive either...if Toronto and Miami have had greater changes I would like to hear about it
2001 vs 2014.

8 years apart:

Culturally over the last few years we've seen Toronto artists like Drake, Justin Bieber, The Weeknd, Shawn Mendes, and Alessia Cara be tossed into the forefront of global music like never before. Likewise Toronto sports teams have started to enjoy success for the first time in decades, with Toronto hosting its first ever NBA all star game last February.

The rest of your criteria you provide no justification for your answers.

Old 02-03-2018, 12:55 PM

12,163 posts, read 8,010,150 times
I mean the Manhattanization of Miami over the past 15 years is far greater than Toronto lol just saying.

Old 02-03-2018, 01:51 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,221,429 times
Great. I always love seeing these types of threads where I’ve actually been to all of the options
I go to Miami-Ft. Lauderdale area every year to visit snowbird family, like every other New Yorker ever.
DC obviously was never too far away from me and is a fantastic city to visit. I’ve made numerous visits throughout my life. It’s one of those cities where you can’t really see everything in one trip.
I’ve seen these 2 cities change over the course of roughly 20 years, which is perfect for this thread.

But with Toronto, I’ve only been there once. So I’m not as familiar with it as the others but I’ll give this a shot...

- the area where culture has changed the most in the last 20 years?
I’m going with DC. 20 years ago DC was one of the biggest murder capitals of America. Now it is one of the most booming and gentrified.
2nd place I’ll probably give to Toronto, just since I haven’t really noticed any drastic changes in Miami’s culture at all. And I do hear that Toronto has changed a lot over the years.

- the area where the economy has changed the most in the last 20 years?
Probably Toronto seeing that it’s really secured it’s spot as Canada’s economic hub. DC has the largest economy, but Toronto’s probably has had the most change.
DC 2nd just due to the fact that it has grown a lot during this time.

- the area where its composition diversity has changed the most in the last 20 years? (meaning the demographics today are way different than they were in 1996)
Just by looking at changes in census numbers: DC —> Toronto —> Miami

- the area where infrastructure has expanded the most in the last 20 years?
By public transit expansions, I’m going with DC and Toronto by a close 2nd. Miami dead last.
Both Washington and Toronto have been making tremendous expansions over the years. What makes me lean to DC is that DC has been adding significantly more heavy rail, whereas Toronto has been mostly light rail, although I am aware of the 1 train extension. I just think that heavy rail is a far greater investment than light rail, especially in these times. Although any transit expansion is great.

- the area where research and development institutions have gained prominence more quickly in the last 20 years?
I’m going with DC, seeing that it’s research and development institutions include all the government-related institutions as well as universities. It gets a bit of an unfair advantage here.
I don’t know enough about Miami or Toronto in this category.

- the area where the housing market has undergone the most changes in the last 20 years with regards to pricing, supply availability, type and style of architecture?
Miami/Toronto neck and neck with all the residential skyscrapers they’ve been adding and are continuing to do so. Some of the only cities in the continent that embrace high rise living.
DC obviously has a height restriction, so it cannot build all these highrises like the other 2. DC got an unfair advantage in the last category, so now it gets an unfair disadvantage here. I guess that evens out.

- the area that has increased its global portfolio the most the last 20 years?
Toronto. Washington’s global profile cannot possibly increase anymore. It is easily one of the most powerful and instantly recognizable cities in the entire world. Everyone in the world knows Washington DC, and can recognize numerous landmarks. Miami has been a global party destination for a long time. Toronto kind of seems like it’s in the process of establishing it’s major international profile whereas the other 2 have already had strong international profiles and don’t seem to be changing anytime soon.

Overall: DC —> Toronto —> Miami
Is what I get when I add up all my rankings

Last edited by That_One_Guy; 02-03-2018 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: SOELLING

Old 02-03-2018, 01:59 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,101,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
2001 vs 2014.

8 years apart:

Culturally over the last few years we've seen Toronto artists like Drake, Justin Bieber, The Weeknd, Shawn Mendes, and Alessia Cara be tossed into the forefront of global music like never before. Likewise Toronto sports teams have started to enjoy success for the first time in decades, with Toronto hosting its first ever NBA all star game last February.

The rest of your criteria you provide no justification for your answers.
Good stuff with the skyscrapers...amazing difference...the Drake stuff is neither here nor there and the sports stuff is no big deal...props on providing a response rather than a smug, dismissive "that's hilarious"...I wasn't the one who had the answers so I think you want to quote someone else on that one...I just wanted that one guy to list his reasons rather than speaking as if it's a foregone conclusion...it clearly isn't

Old 02-03-2018, 02:32 PM

12 posts, read 12,807 times
Sorry but Miami Ft Lauderdale have been on a Mega boom over the pat ten years. Miami must have built 100 skyscrapers in that time. I couldn't believe it when I seen it. I felt like damn, Miami used to have a small skyline but now looking like they are manhattenizing it. And no lie on that.

Old 02-03-2018, 02:57 PM

239 posts, read 232,183 times
Quote:
Crazy!

I have been to Toronto many times. I have also been to DC and Miami many times. DC was a crime-filled disaster with the federal government completely dominating the economy 20 years ago. The economy has diversified, and the city has gentrified crazily. Toronto has changed a ton; there has obviously been a ton of growth there. However, Toronto was never as unsafe as DC, and its core was worse 20 years ago, but it did not feel too different. But yes, Toronto has grown a ton, but its feel has not changed as much as DC, IMO. Thanks to the above posters who defended my post from the vultures who love to disagree just to disagree. They have nothing to back up their arguments.

Old 02-03-2018, 03:01 PM

3,198 posts, read 2,658,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyDego View Post
Sorry but Miami Ft Lauderdale have been on a Mega boom over the pat ten years. Miami must have built 100 skyscrapers in that time. I couldn't believe it when I seen it. I felt like damn, Miami used to have a small skyline but now looking like they are manhattenizing it. And no lie on that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I mean the Manhattanization of Miami over the past 15 years is far greater than Toronto lol just saying.

Toronto has roughly over 200 towers U/C and over 400+ proposed. Toronto has been booming since the 1980's and has been rapidly booming since the mid 2000's. Miami, on the other hand, had one boom in 2005-2008 and a second from 2013-. I lived in both cities, and what Toronto has built is light years of what Miami has. Sure, their skyline got bigger, but it's literally one line of a tabletop skyline, while Toronto is booming all over. Of course, population growth has been higher in Toronto (net gain) transit projects, business investment, etc... Toronto annihilates Miami.

Last edited by CXT2000; 02-03-2018 at 03:16 PM..

Old 02-03-2018, 03:03 PM

615 posts, read 600,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geographybee View Post
I have been to Toronto many times. I have also been to DC and Miami many times. DC was a crime-filled disaster with the federal government completely dominating the economy 20 years ago. The economy has diversified, and the city has gentrified crazily. Toronto has changed a ton; there has obviously been a ton of growth there. However, Toronto was never as unsafe as DC, and its core was worse 20 years ago, but it did not feel too different. But yes, Toronto has grown a ton, but its feel has not changed as much as DC, IMO. Thanks to the above posters who defended my post from the vultures who love to disagree just to disagree. They have nothing to back up their arguments.
DC may have changed a lot on a micro level, but its cityscape has not compared to Toronto or Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City