Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fastest evolving place of the three?
Greater Miami/Fort Lauderdale (MIA) 24 20.87%
Greater Toronto Area (the GTA) 44 38.26%
Greater Washington DC (the DMV) 47 40.87%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 10:15 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Toronto

Has to be T.O. ....2nd most construction cranes currently operating in the world after Dubai.

New condo buildings galore.

Washington DC growing ...who knew?

I visited DC a couple of years ago and it was sleepy compared to Toronto.
I have been in Toronto a few times over the last few years and agree that there are lots of cranes and new buildings sprouting. It reminded me of Miami: which has the same thing going on.

Regarding the word "evolving" in the tread title, I am not sure that I am convinced though of Toronto's evolution as a simple result of its growth. It's certainly becoming bigger but is it really evolving into something it wasn't previously?

Old 08-02-2016, 10:20 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,816,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
Very true, but to be fair population growth in Toronto has been healthy, the city itself gets 35-40K a year. Miami on the other hand gets 9-10K (20K in the county roughly). But yes Toronto is indeed a big market for foreign investors, but at least they have a diversified economy and a very strong population growth. Speaking of Dallas and Austin, many of my friends in business tell me about the growth of the cities, and i would love to know more and see it for myself.
Miami-Dade County gained 200k from 2010-2015. That's 40k per year, not 20k.

The City of Miami is only 36 square miles. The City of Toronto is 243 square miles. So comparing the city proper of Miami to the city proper of Toronto is a bit silly. That would be like me comparing Toronto at 243 square miles to Miami-Dade County at 2,431 square miles (though almost all development is in 800 square miles).

Old 08-04-2016, 08:38 PM

150 posts, read 215,152 times
What exactly is Washington DC evolving into? For the past 60 years it's been a divided city that is half wealthy bureaucrats, and half demilitarized zone.

Anyway, I was in Miami in May and it seems the city is really becoming much more white collar. It was a pretty big evolution compared to what the city was 15 years ago.

But neither DC or Miami have evolved like Toronto. Toronto went from a caker-white bread city, to a large cosmopolitan metropolis in about 10-12 years.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:04 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,654,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Miami-Dade County gained 200k from 2010-2015. That's 40k per year, not 20k.

The City of Miami is only 36 square miles. The City of Toronto is 243 square miles. So comparing the city proper of Miami to the city proper of Toronto is a bit silly. That would be like me comparing Toronto at 243 square miles to Miami-Dade County at 2,431 square miles (though almost all development is in 800 square miles).
Miami-Dade County Florida Demographics data population census, density, unwed Broward County and Monroe County

Nope, gained 104K from 2010-2014 and Miami-Dade county gained 21K last year, less than Broward and Palm Beach sooo.... And ok? Miami is still a small city, couldn't care less bout the county or metropolitan. If i talk about Miami, i'm strictly talking about city limits and Miami Beach and that's it, those are the city jurisdictional boundaries and i follow each city as is.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:20 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,428,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I have been in Toronto a few times over the last few years and agree that there are lots of cranes and new buildings sprouting. It reminded me of Miami: which has the same thing going on.

Regarding the word "evolving" in the tread title, I am not sure that I am convinced though of Toronto's evolution as a simple result of its growth. It's certainly becoming bigger but is it really evolving into something it wasn't previously?
That caught my eye also.Evolving in my opinion would be D.C out of all of them. The majority of D.C. was just coming out of some of the worst urban blight any major city has faced.Way worse than NYC in the 90's.
D.C. demographically and physically are night and day.

The poster who said D.C. was sleepy is ridiculous.I just got back from D.C. a few weeks ago and i toured the city with a friend that lived there as it had been a while and everywhere was just packed with people in the streets.
the Nightlife surely has gotten so much better as there are so many pockets of nightlife options throughout the city.
If any city is "evolving" out of these three,its D.C. hands down.Even the economy is diversifying more than government related jobs

Old 08-06-2016, 03:44 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey joe-joe View Post
What exactly is Washington DC evolving into? For the past 60 years it's been a divided city that is half wealthy bureaucrats, and half demilitarized zone.

Anyway, I was in Miami in May and it seems the city is really becoming much more white collar. It was a pretty big evolution compared to what the city was 15 years ago.

But neither DC or Miami have evolved like Toronto. Toronto went from a caker-white bread city, to a large cosmopolitan metropolis in about 10-12 years.
In 25 years Washington DC has probably evolved from top to bottom more than any city in the US. It is clearly one of the top 5 most cosmopolitan city/ metro areas in the wealthiest nation on Earth. There is more business activity going on in DC than has ever in its history. Over the last 25 years entire neighborhoods have been revitalized and not numerous "blighted" spaces have gentrified into complete urban oasises. The thing that excites most people in DC is that it's best years are still ahead of, no where near its peak. Evolving also does have to do with more than just urban towers going up, school systems, government efficiency, transit, etc all should be considered. DC has also arguably diversified as much as any other major metro area on a percentage basis in comparison to where it was 25 years ago.

In comparison to Toronto however it's a tough call.

Old 08-06-2016, 05:06 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,960,126 times
All three places have evolved tremendously along the way and all have done so in several facets, which is why I thought it was a great idea to compare the MIA, the GTA, and the DMV. They have this one central theme in common.

For example, Southeast Florida has come a long way. It wasn't long ago when all of the Southeast Florida wasn't considered much. Today it really is something significant. It went from nothing to something, perhaps faster than anywhere in modern history in America. Today it serves its role as the converging point of the two Americas, the city that is most connected to the overall culture, economy, social being of both American continents; North America and South America. It is one of the lead cities in all of the world for private investment and is home to several Latin American financial institutions. On top of all of that, it has become the United States #2 tourist magnate overall, with over 5 million overseas visitors and that number grows incredibly each year. It has cultivated its own culture; be it fashion, be it lifestyle, be it music, be it night scene, be it film and television.

Rewind a couple of decades and you'll see a different Toronto from what is there today. Toronto as recent as just a few decades ago was an afterthought in its own country. Today? It is THE epicenter of its entire country. The dominant economical force. The lead metropolis. The corporate center. The entertainment center. The film and music center. The largest. The most cosmopolitan place in all of Canada. In addition to that it has become a driving force for Canada on the world stage as its become a hotspot for private overseas investment activity and host to several important global events and sporting events.

If you go back a few decades in the United States; the Washington DC and the DMV wasn't all the much either nor all that significant. It had a weak economy, lots of blight and poverty and dysfunction and crime. It had a reputation for being a small government town that senators and congressmen actively filed out of after legislation to go back to their home states. Today it is one of the most vital economies on planet Earth. It has elevated its portfolio, America's capital is seen as a sophisticated and well to do place now. It has diversified its population enormously and today is one of the few places in America that has the ethnic composition that is considered "all-inclusive" for all races and nationalities. It gets a bit of everything.

Oh and it also helps that all of them are currently very larger (and getting larger really fast) and currently have a lot of development activity underway as well as in the pipeline.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:58 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,240,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Rewind a couple of decades and you'll see a different Toronto from what is there today. Toronto as recent as just a few decades ago was an afterthought in its own country. Today? It is THE epicenter of its entire country. The dominant economical force. The lead metropolis. The corporate center. The entertainment center. The film and music center. The largest. The most cosmopolitan place in all of Canada. In addition to that it has become a driving force for Canada on the world stage as its become a hotspot for private overseas investment activity and host to several important global events and sporting events.
Yes, but even three decades ago Toronto was the largest metropolitan area in Canada (it surpassed Montreal in the mid 70s), but since then it has pulled so far ahead that it truly does dominate Canada now almost like London dominates the U.K.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:11 PM

Miami

Old 08-06-2016, 09:13 PM

Toronto

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City