Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the cleanest big city in America?
New York 6 1.48%
Los Angeles 5 1.23%
Chicago 73 18.02%
Washington 33 8.15%
Miami 12 2.96%
Philadelphia 8 1.98%
Boston 27 6.67%
San Francisco 5 1.23%
Dallas 31 7.65%
Houston 3 0.74%
Atlanta 19 4.69%
Detroit 4 0.99%
Phoenix 41 10.12%
Seattle 38 9.38%
Denver 25 6.17%
Minneapolis 75 18.52%
Voters: 405. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 10:36 AM

536 posts, read 639,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Been visiting Seattle for years. They have a problem with graffiti which they cover/paint over it fast but don't remember seeing a lot of trash on roads. They also have an issue with homeless but overall cleanliness is not bad for the size of the city(feels a lot bigger than the population it has).
Thanks for the info. Haven't been to Seattle and wasn't really sure how clean it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 02:03 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,596,930 times
Did people really vote for Chicago? I must have been in a different Chicago the other month, or they recently decided to implement some trash cans.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:16 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
Did people really vote for Chicago? I must have been in a different Chicago the other month, or they recently decided to implement some trash cans.
Chicago is overall very clean. There are trash cans and recycle bins everywhere in that city, and they existed even before you visited (believe it or not)!

Old 08-04-2016, 05:29 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,596,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Chicago is overall very clean. There are trash cans and recycle bins everywhere in that city, and they existed even before you visited (believe it or not)!
It was a joke. However, the least they can do is get some of their prisoners out on the side of the freeway and clean up the litter.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:43 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,884,157 times
If this discussion had been held a couple of years ago, I would have said Austin, the population of which is almost 1 million in the city itself. Something has happened recently; the city is absolutely filthy and weedy, with lots of graffiti.

I know this thread is regarding clean cities, though. I've always been impressed with Phoenix, at least north of I-10. Beautifully landscaped and clean freeways. Oklahoma City is pretty clean as well. Portland is clean overall. Most of the really large American cities are dirty. Haven't been to Chicago but it has a good reputation for being clean.

Old 08-05-2016, 12:13 AM

470 posts, read 454,289 times
All Sunbelt cities are clean (Houston, Dallas, Miami, Atlanta, Phoenix, etc).

Old 08-05-2016, 08:16 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
It was a joke. However, the least they can do is get some of their prisoners out on the side of the freeway and clean up the litter.
I've found by far the dirtiest time of the year in Chicago is April. They don't do street cleaning and trash pickup on the streets much in the winter, and from time to time there can be snow and ice piling up for a few weeks at a time.

Come spring there's a big need in many areas for a "spring clean". Usually in May, always before Memorial Day, they do a massive cleanup of the highways and all the litter patrols, weekly street cleaning and crews are deployed through October and keep things quite tidy.

Winter has less litter thrown down since it's quieter with most tourists coming all at once during the summer, but over the course of 3-4 months of cold weather it can accumulate in areas by spring.

Old 08-05-2016, 03:30 PM

23,459 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Neither is Toronto(lots of graffiti-they had a mayor who hated it), also Vancouver had some (when I visited 10 yrs back).

Factoring in metro population, the Tampa Bay area(about the same size as metro Seattle/Phoenix) is graffiti free, with very little trash on streets(same with Orlando, though it's smaller).

Seattle has graffiti here and there but they are quick to paint over and cover it, especially on highways.
Seattle's problem with regard to this topic is its' very large homeless population. It's not uncommon to see tents, dirty clothes and scattered belongings on the grades abutting I-5.

Old 08-05-2016, 03:55 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,984,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Of the ones on the list, I'd pick Minneapolis. I really like how well it's kept up. But, I would have to say Charlotte as well. Even though I live in the area, I have to say it's one of, if not the, cleanest large cities I've ever been to. They're not on the list, even though as a CITY, they're larger than several on the list.
Yes, Charlotte is very clean. As far as Charlotte being larger than several cities on the list, if those cities had the land area that Charlotte does, they would be much larger than the it. Charlotte's land area is bigger than Miami's, D.C.'s, San Francisco's, Seattle's, and Minneapolis's combined.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:10 PM

536 posts, read 639,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Seattle's problem with regard to this topic is its' very large homeless population. It's not uncommon to see tents, dirty clothes and scattered belongings on the grades abutting I-5.
How clean is Seattle in the core areas of downtown? Haven't been there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City