Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city overall
Baltimore 11 7.48%
Charlotte 9 6.12%
Chicago 44 29.93%
Boston 31 21.09%
Houston 19 12.93%
Seattle 19 12.93%
Pittsburgh 14 9.52%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 12:38 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,737,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIRAL View Post
1.) Houston's muggy summer heat gives way to winters far nicer and warmer than what is dealt with in all of the other cities.

2.)The magnitude of cold seen in all those other cities during winter is more severe than the heat magnitude in Houston.

3.) Sea breezes, storms, and vegetation alleviate Houston's summer heat.
Not nearly enough for me - I'll take 4 seasons and the ability to enjoy the outdoors from April - October.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 12:43 PM

470 posts, read 448,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Not nearly enough for me - I'll take 4 seasons and the ability to enjoy the outdoors from April - October.
Which is done thouroughly in Houston, all day, every day. It is all about using those mornings/evenings, as well as alleviating factors (shade, sea breeze, storms, etc) to the advantage.

Summer in Houston is far more lively than winter in all those other cities.

Old 07-31-2016, 01:12 PM

20,500 posts, read 33,311,608 times
Quote:
I don't know how anyone could take Houston's hot muggy weather even for a month let alone all year round. You must really love sitting around in air conditioned rooms.
Plenty of people. Heck I did it down in Georgia a couple weeks ago. You get use to it. I do like seasons though and that's one thing I do not like about Houston. Still they have a pleasant winter.

Old 08-01-2016, 05:08 PM

822 posts, read 844,907 times
Quote:
I'll take the 4 seasons as well .. but for me outdoor activities don't stop in October. Winter is the best time to go for a hike .. no sweat, no bugs, no people .. and can be quite magical when it's snowing in the woods

Old 08-02-2016, 09:48 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,737,829 times
Accuweather has the current Hosuton real feel temp (adjusted for dew point and breezes) as already 104 degrees at 9:30 AM. The afternoons in Houston all summer are consistently at real feel temps of 110 -115 degrees. It is not the slightest bit comfortable in summer, and there isn't any way you can convince me it is. I've been there and all over Texas and the south, even in the fall, and the air is just gross.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Accuweather has the current Hosuton real feel temp (adjusted for dew point and breezes) as already 104 degrees at 9:30 AM. The afternoons in Houston all summer are consistently at real feel temps of 110 -115 degrees. It is not the slightest bit comfortable in summer, and there isn't any way you can convince me it is. I've been there and all over Texas and the south, even in the fall, and the air is just gross.
AccuWeather is nonsense, so you've already lost all credibility by bringing it up.

A Houston/southern summer is far more comfortable than a winter up north.

Old 08-02-2016, 12:48 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,095,365 times
Quote:
1.) Houston's muggy summer heat gives way to winters far nicer and warmer than what is dealt with in all of the other cities.

2.)The magnitude of cold seen in all those other cities during winter is more severe than the heat magnitude in Houston.

3.) Sea breezes, storms, and vegetation alleviate Houston's summer heat.
1. Not worth it at all IMO.

2. I'd hardly call the cold in Baltimore, Charlotte, and Seattle "severe".

3. Storms don't do much besides increase the humidity once it's over, there's vegetation all over the Southeast, and Gulf of Mexico temperatures this time of year are in the mid to upper 80's. That "sea breeze" is going to do little if any especially since Houston is really inland.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:57 PM

20,500 posts, read 33,311,608 times
Quote:
It's best to go by NWS instead of accuweather. I highly doubt it felt that way at 9:30 AM. It's warm but it's not Dubai.

Old 08-02-2016, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
1. Not worth it at all IMO.

2. I'd hardly call the cold in Baltimore, Charlotte, and Seattle "severe".

3. Storms don't do much besides increase the humidity once it's over, there's vegetation all over the Southeast, and Gulf of Mexico temperatures this time of year are in the mid to upper 80's. That "sea breeze" is going to do little if any especially since Houston is really inland.
1.) It is, especially given the fact that it is the only place listed on this thread that averages 5 or less freezes in a typical winter, and has average highs above 60F in that season (with many days going above 70F).

2.)Winters in all those cities keep people indoors more than a summer in Houston does.

Charlotte has the warmest winter daytime highs out of all the other cities, but it is still too chilly for optimum. Seattle has less freezes than all the other cities, but it is still too cold, cloudy, and gloomy.

3.)Storms increase humidity, but also lower temps, and block out the strong sun rays (a major factor in how hot conditions can feel). They also come with gust fronts, which cool the environment down.

The water is still cool relative to the land, so even when the Gulf is warm, there is still a cooling effect from sea breeze, as per appreciation. And the breezes go well inland through Texas (they were described by historians as far inland as East Texas).

Old 08-02-2016, 10:18 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,496,900 times
Quote:
Boston, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Houston, Seattle, Charlotte, Baltimore
Viral ranked Baltimore last in higher education opportunities? Baltimore has a lot of problems, but lack of higher education opportunities is not one of them. In fact, that is probably the one complaint that I have never heard from anyone inside or outside of the Baltimore area. And believe me, I have heard a lot of complaints about the Baltimore area in this forum and elsewhere.

Is there something that VIRAL had in mind?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City