Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city overall
Baltimore 11 7.48%
Charlotte 9 6.12%
Chicago 44 29.93%
Boston 31 21.09%
Houston 19 12.93%
Seattle 19 12.93%
Pittsburgh 14 9.52%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 09:04 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times

Advertisements

Which City would you choose and why?
Which city feels offers:
Abundance of higher education opportunities
Lowest crime rate and safer suburbs
Low property cost more bang for your buck
Healthy city: Farmers market, exercise events, top hospitals, wellness fairs, abundance of gyms
Opportunities to walk and bike around town
Best school system to raise children (Including suburbs)
Best weather all year round
Religiously diverse
Most activities to do: Aquarium, zoo, museums, parks, and so forth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 10:05 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,472,289 times
The cities you listed appeal to me in the following order:
Chicago
Boston
Seattle
Baltimore
Charlotte
Houston
Pittsburgh

Old 07-27-2016, 10:28 AM

I think Boston tops the list. Resin being is crime is low compared to other cities mentioned. May or may not feel you get the best bang for your buck. However, feel in New England Mass and Boston suburbs offer up a lot of properties. Mass is the 3rd lowest and 3rd highest State for taxes in New England. It's property cost are average can find a decent 3 bdr for $200K to $250K in a nice suburb of Boston or North Shore. Jobs pay towards the average COL, offer credit if you use public transportation, and decent transportation services. Good colleges/universities are abound. Not too far from the outdoors and great place to kayak/swim in Boston Harbor. Can easily run or bike in the area. Great beaches are nearby. Can find some of the best shopping and food near or in Boston.

Only downside is winter's in Boston, which is only 4 month's of the year.

I pick Chicago as second, Seattle for third, Charlotte/Houston tied for fourth, Pittsburgh for fifth, and Baltimore has sixth.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:33 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,518,151 times
Here are how these cities rank with me in terms of where I'd perfer to live given the points in your post. The different catagories have different weight in my choices. I'm familiar with each area, especially Charlotte (where I live) and Boston (where my in-laws live):
1. Charlotte
2. Chicago
3. Pittsburgh
4. Houston
5. Boston
6. Seattle
7. Baltimore

Old 07-27-2016, 10:34 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Which City would you choose and why?
Which city feels offers:
Abundance of higher education opportunities
Lowest crime rate and safer suburbs
Low property cost more bang for your buck
Healthy city: Farmers market, exercise events, top hospitals, wellness fairs, abundance of gyms
Opportunities to walk and bike around town
Best school system to raise children (Including suburbs)
Best weather all year round
Religiously diverse
Most activities to do: Aquarium, zoo, museums, parks, and so forth
I like to look at these things practically. It makes more sense to look at each city based on my actual household and career. Having actually lived in Chicago, Pittsburgh and Boston, as well as conducting a lot of research into Baltimore (seriously entertained a job offer), My preference for my family of four is:

Chicago
Pittsburgh
Seattle
Boston
Baltimore
Houston
Charlotte

Seattle would be number 2, if not for the cost of living. Houston and Charlotte aren't urban enough for me. I was not particularly fond of Boston. I should also add that daycare costs of 2500/mo for ONE child was a big part of the reason we left Boston.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:35 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rund1987 View Post
i think boston tops the list. Resin being is crime is low compared to other cities mentioned. May or may not feel you get the best bang for your buck. However, feel in new england mass and boston suburbs offer up a lot of properties. Mass is the 3rd lowest and 3rd highest state for taxes in new england. it's property cost are average can find a decent 3 bdr for $200k to $250k in a nice suburb of boston or north shore. jobs pay towards the average col, offer credit if you use public transportation, and decent transportation services. Good colleges/universities are abound. Not too far from the outdoors and great place to kayak/swim in boston harbor. Can easily run or bike in the area. Great beaches are nearby. Can find some of the best shopping and food near or in boston.

Only downside is winter's in boston, which is only 4 month's of the year.

I pick chicago as second, seattle for third, charlotte/houston tied for fourth, pittsburgh for fifth, and baltimore has sixth.
No.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:54 AM

431 posts, read 521,903 times
Boston
Chicago
Baltimore
Charlotte
Seattle
Pittsburgh
Houston

Old 07-27-2016, 11:56 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
1. Chicago
2. Boston
3. Seattle
4. Pittsburgh
5. Baltimore
6. Charlotte
7. Houston

Old 07-27-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
No.
I found a few in Salem/Danvers area, but not sure if that count as Boston suburbs.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:50 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,272,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I think Boston tops the list. Resin being is crime is low compared to other cities mentioned. May or may not feel you get the best bang for your buck. However, feel in New England Mass and Boston suburbs offer up a lot of properties. Mass is the 3rd lowest and 3rd highest State for taxes in New England. It's property cost are average can find a decent 3 bdr for $200K to $250K in a nice suburb of Boston or North Shore. Jobs pay towards the average COL, offer credit if you use public transportation, and decent transportation services. Good colleges/universities are abound. Not too far from the outdoors and great place to kayak/swim in Boston Harbor. Can easily run or bike in the area. Great beaches are nearby. Can find some of the best shopping and food near or in Boston.

Only downside is winter's in Boston, which is only 4 month's of the year.

I pick Chicago as second, Seattle for third, Charlotte/Houston tied for fourth, Pittsburgh for fifth, and Baltimore has sixth.
Perhaps the fact that your comparing Boston to other New England cities, that you've came to that conclusion. However to me and apparently to many others, it actually is a very expensive city. https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...C5J/story.html Even just visiting and doing some of the attractions you listed make it very expensive:
Boston Ranked 4th-Most Expensive City To Visit In US « CBS Boston

If I was rating things I would place Chicago first, Boston second, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Seattle, Houston, Charlotte. This is based on quality of live with a middle class income (Chicago has much more to do then Boston, is more affordable, has more job opportunity, more attractions/amenities the third biggest city in the country so definitely a bang for your buck). Boston has good schools, less crime, and is a pretty city with slightly better weather but I can't rate it above Chicago. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City