Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the better urban city lifestyle?
Atlanta 85 48.02%
Portland 92 51.98%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 08:48 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times

Advertisements

Include:

Walkability
Commercial shops in distance of prime living space
Public Transportation
Chain vs local shops
City Parks
Music Scene
Nightlife
Food Scene
Crime
Overall QOL?

City ONLY ...not metro areas. Just the livable city propers.

I picked these as they are on opposite coasts but similar stats

Here are official stats

Portland pop. 582,130 134 sq miles 4,344 density
Atlanta pop. 540,922 131.8 sq mi 4,104 density
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 08:52 PM

17 posts, read 20,771 times
I am not thrilled with either. If forced to choose then Portland because their downtown has more energy.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:36 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Interesting, I didnt realize that were taht similar on the stats. I have only been to Portland pnce and it was very brief. I actually would have assumed higher density but maybe it is the preserved greenspace for Portland

I do like how Midtown has been developing in Atlanta, seems like I would [prefer based on what I saw in my short time in Portland but am not voting as I don't feel like I know enough about Portland

Old 02-10-2011, 10:16 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times
Portland because of it's walkability and zoning laws......the latter help to keep sprawl in check.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:15 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
Neither although I do live in Portland, but I am leaving the end of the year. Portland is so in love with itself that its nauseating. One doesn't really feel the effects of that until they live here. Atlanta just sprawls on and on and on, and one spends all day in a car. Other than that I like Atlanta its not so in love with itself. At least not on the level Portland is. Atlanta just doesn't seem interested enough in dealing with all its growth, and the impact that neglect will have on it for future generations.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:11 PM

546 posts, read 1,177,141 times
I would think Portland would be a better place for an urban lifestyle over Atlanta, even if you're only talking about the city proper only and not the metro. Atlanta has a lot of suburbs, and Atlanta as a city still is affected because of its surrounding spawl is affected by it. Atlanta proper isn't a bubble that is completely unaffected by what is around it, so it is a city built too much for cars while Portland was made to be a biking, streetcar, and non-car place. Having less suburban sprawl and an urban growth boundary to protect the wildlands and farms can't hurt Portland either. Plus I think that Portland is known to have a lot of good non-chain local businesses too and they support them. Portland has great transit especially the streetcar, and it is a city also made for biking and walking.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:58 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,922,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Include:

Walkability
Public Transportation
Chain vs local shops
City Parks
Music Scene
Nightlife
Food Scene
Crime
Overall QOL?

Here are official stats

I really wish I knew more about Atlanta so I could make a fair comparison (lived in Portland for 18 years). But of the criteria Portland's best assets (imo) are its parks (I can't imagine a more spectacular urban park than Forest Park), food scene (surely one of the best in the country for a city its size), walkability, public transit, music scene, safety, and downtown (lots of shopping and close to residential areas).

Old 02-11-2011, 03:05 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Include:

Walkability
Public Transportation
Chain vs local shops
City Parks
Music Scene
Nightlife
Food Scene
Crime
Overall QOL?

Here are official stats

I have a real sweet spot for both of these cities.

As far as the urban living question, overall, Id probably say Portland, but Atlanta has good areas for urban living too.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:13 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Before I begin I'd like to say as far as the city propers go Portland and Atlanta strangely have a lot in common in the looks department. The big differences being that Portland has a waterfront and Atlanta has a much much larger skyline. I've never been there before, but there's nothing bad I can say about Portland.

With that said, I'd first like to counter the claim that the idea that Portland has better public transit than Atlanta. This oft repeated line really has no basis in reality. Not to say Portland has bad public transportation, in fact they do a pretty damn good job with it, but Atlanta is clearly ahead of Portland in this department.

First the stats from 2000:

Carfree Database Results

Portland
% of Population that Bikes to work: 1.84%
% of Population that Walks to work: 5.47%
% of Population that uses Public Transportation to go to work: 12.89%
Total percentage that does not drive to work: 20.2%

Atlanta
% of Population that Bikes to work: .33%
% of Population that Walks to work: 3.64%
% of Population that uses Public Transportation to go to work: 15.61%
Total percentage that does not drive to work: 19.58%

On these metrics alone, both cities are essential equal. Both owed to good public transit systems. But as we dig deeper into the stats, this where things start to diverge since getting to work is only one use of public transit.

Percentage of adults who do not own a car in Portland: 14.02%
Percentage of adults who do not own a car in Atlanta: 19.58%

So given that if you do not own a car you are likely using public transit, this means that more people use public transit in Atlanta thus Atlanta's public transit is the better system from the perspective of utilization. Let's step back a moment and examine who this is and what it really means by looking at what methods both cities employ:

Portland Trimet:

4 light rail lines - Daily ridership 127,900 (Average speed of vehicles 19.6 mph)
1 Streetcar line - Daily ridership 12,000
81 bus routes - Daily ridership 184,700
Commuter rail - Daily ridership 1,400

Total daily ridership for system: 317,500

System Map

Atlanta MARTA:

4 Subway lines - Daily ridership 258,800 (Average speed of vehicles 55 mph), top speed of 70 mph)
132 Bus lines - Daily ridership 224,700

Total daily ridership for system: 485,200

System Map:

So despite essentially serving the same population size, both cities having the same population density, and basically the same amount of people who commute by public transit, Atlanta public transit has the following over Portland's public transit:

-A subway that has higher rider capacity and faster speed
-A ridership higher than 100,000
-More connecting bus routes

In short, Atlanta has better public transit than Portland, but Portland is no slouch.

As for the "sprawl" comments by some, what relevance does that have in this discussion? Intown Atlanta, despite what an earlier poster asserted without actually knowing the answer, does not in fact mirror the suburban parts. People act like that Atlanta is just one big cul de sac, which is really odd.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:17 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
For those who just don't know what Atlanta looks like, here are two great photo journals:

- One Hour - One City: Atlanta - 5 Points! - - SkyscraperPage Forum

ATLANTA, Georgia - January 2011 - SkyscraperPage Forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City