Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 11:55 AM

11,044 posts, read 12,310,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
It's two easy miles that can be covered either on foot or by public transit.

Honestly, which location you'd choose depends on you. I might go with the waterfront because it's closer to most of the sights, but I'd agree with another poster that said Back Bay would give you a more "local" experience. As a first time visitor, I'd go with the waterfront. If you ever come back, go with Back Bay. No matter where you stay, you'll have easy access to other parts of the city. It's dense and compact.

Did you say how long you were staying? There's plenty to see in Boston itself, but it might be nice to get out a bit. If you stay near the waterfront, definitely take a day trip to Provincetown (at the tip of Cape Cod) on the fast ferry from Boston. If you're staying 3 days or more, it's worth spending a day that way. In P-Town you can rent bikes and head to the beach. I'd recommend riding out to Race Point or Herring Cove beach. There's a good chance you'll see whales right from the beach.

*edit*
I love Boston (I live here), and I'd definitely choose Boston over Austin, but I'm surprised at some of the "Boston, hands down!" posts that I've seen. Austin's a cool city. It's one of those places that when you go back home, most of the people you know that have visited the U.S. probably haven't been. There aren't a ton of touristy sites, per se, but it's a vibrant, active and unique city. I think Rainey Street is one of the coolest collection of bars/restaurants I've spent time in (lots of old homes and yards coverted to neat bars/restaurants). I also think Lake Travis is a pretty unique place to get outdoors. We rented a boat (cheap) for a day and explored the nooks and crannies. I'd prefer Cape Cod and the Ocean, but Lake Travis was a unique experience. I'd still go with Boston, but I feel like Austin was a bit overlooked in this thread.
However, I think you might only have that opinion since you're already so well versed in Boston. There would have to be a pretty specific case for me to recommend Austin over Boston for a tourist. For example, if they wanted to check out music festivals, SxSW>Boston Calling (LOL not even remotely close!!!). But for the general tourist looking to get a taste of America? I think there are a few cities that you HAVE TO go to first (NYC, DC, Boston, Philly) then I totally think people should get out and see places like Austin, Minneapolis, Seattle, etc. But for someone's first time here, gotta make priorities.

For a tourist from America, I think it's less important that they go to east coast places. Just my 2 cents!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 12:12 PM

515 posts, read 551,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
However, I think you might only have that opinion since you're already so well versed in Boston. There would have to be a pretty specific case for me to recommend Austin over Boston for a tourist. For example, if they wanted to check out music festivals, SxSW>Boston Calling (LOL not even remotely close!!!). But for the general tourist looking to get a taste of America? I think there are a few cities that you HAVE TO go to first (NYC, DC, Boston, Philly) then I totally think people should get out and see places like Austin, Minneapolis, Seattle, etc. But for someone's first time here, gotta make priorities.

For a tourist from America, I think it's less important that they go to east coast places. Just my 2 cents!
+1. But I would have to throw in New Orleans for a truly unique experience

Old 07-29-2016, 12:29 PM

12,564 posts, read 21,726,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post

No that's fair. I agree with you. I'd certainly recommend Boston over Austin. But I thought Austin got a tough rap in this thread.

Old 07-29-2016, 12:43 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,185,040 times
I find it hard to believe that anyone would recommend Austin over Boston to a visitor from Australia. There is an asterisk that should be placed on the reputational claims of Austin as some sort of hip, liberal city. The facts are that Austin is indeed a hip, happening place.* If Austin were in another state, it would be indistinguishable from any other sunbelt city like Phoenix or college town like Columbus.

*For a Texas city.

Old 07-29-2016, 04:07 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,093,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I find it hard to believe that anyone would recommend Austin over Boston to a visitor from Australia. There is an asterisk that should be placed on the reputational claims of Austin as some sort of hip, liberal city. The facts are that Austin is indeed a hip, happening place.* If Austin were in another state, it would be indistinguishable from any other sunbelt city like Phoenix or college town like Columbus.

*For a Texas city.
On top of that, Rainey Street isn't even that special. You can find similar streets with houses converted into restaurants and bars in Dallas and Houston. People in Austin tend to be myopic about what's outside their city.

Old 07-29-2016, 05:25 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,902,945 times
Id rather be lost in Boston than Austin. Bam! How'd ya like that bit of cleverness? lolol j/k

Old 07-29-2016, 09:15 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,518,278 times
university of boston ?

Old 07-29-2016, 09:23 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,698,238 times
In the summer, boston. In the winter miami, but if you must austin. Boston is hell in the winter.

Old 07-30-2016, 12:07 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,148,754 times
I would vote for Boston as well. One thing I like to point out in which I find very comical and it happens alot is that people have to degrade another place because: 1. They either never stepped foot in 2. Or just drove right past.

Old 07-30-2016, 01:56 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,631,157 times
I know Boston is clearly the bigger, older, more established city, but Austin should be given a bit more credit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City