Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which American city is the best for African Americans?
Atlanta, GA 70 50.36%
Washington, D.C. 26 18.71%
Baltimore, MD 1 0.72%
Raleigh, NC 2 1.44%
Charlotte, NC 5 3.60%
Richmond, VA 5 3.60%
Virginia Beach, VA 2 1.44%
Orlando, FL 0 0%
Miami, FL 1 0.72%
San Antonio, TX 2 1.44%
Houston, TX 12 8.63%
Philadelphia, PA 5 3.60%
New York City, NY 6 4.32%
Boston, MA 1 0.72%
Chicago, IL 1 0.72%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 02:40 PM

155 posts, read 206,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I think you're conflating Black Meccas with best cities for Black people. Atlanta and Houston are definitely the current draws, but as a Black professional, I think NY, DC and Chicago offer better opportunities, and SHOULD be bigger draws. I don't know much about Philadelphia.

Atlanta has Black political power, but so does Detroit. It's easy for Black people to obtain political power in a majority-black city. The political strength of Chicago's black community is more impressive to me.
Just a question How is the political strength of Chicago's black community impressive? I feel like if it had such a strong political strength then it would be like Atlanta's black political strength whereas now half of Metro Atlanta is predominantly Black. They're not just centered in one area of the metro region.Even Houston and DC have impressive political strengths. Also Dallas. I think ALOT of people are sleeping on Dallas. With the current growth, It may become a Black Mecca in its own right. This is just one article:

Aaron M. Renn: Where do black residents matter? | Dallas Morning News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 03:10 PM

184 posts, read 235,171 times
Atlanta and DC by a long shot.
Notable mentions are Houston, Charlotte, Dallas, Raleigh NC, Jacksonville FL, Richmond VA, Norfolk VA, New Orleans, Philadelphia, and NYC.

Old 08-01-2016, 03:18 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,769,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaddeus_Hewitt View Post
Just a question How is the political strength of Chicago's black community impressive? I feel like if it had such a strong political strength then it would be like Atlanta's black political strength whereas now half of Metro Atlanta is predominantly Black. They're not just centered in one area of the metro region.Even Houston and DC have impressive political strengths. Also Dallas. I think ALOT of people are sleeping on Dallas. With the current growth, It may become a Black Mecca in its own right. This is just one article:

Good article.

Houston has grown by more blacks than DFW in recent years. Check the Criteria thread for the source.

Old 08-02-2016, 02:25 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,458,888 times
As a Black man from the west coast, no city in the southeast appeals to me. Black culture is definitely stronger there though.

Old 08-02-2016, 02:28 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
As a Black man from the west coast, no city in the southeast appeals to me. Black culture is definitely stronger there though.
What about cities in the Northeast or Midwest?

Old 08-02-2016, 02:31 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,784,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Well, Seattle is way out there and would probably feel like a different country to me. I'm closer in driving distance to Montreal.

Old 08-02-2016, 04:01 PM

93,204 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaddeus_Hewitt View Post

What this article is really saying, if you really pay attention, is that Black people do better under conservatism. While there are a lot of good points in the article, if leaves out the cultural aspect.

It also leaves out the fact that similar policies are having an effect on Black residents in many Southern cities, as gentrification is a reality in that region as well.

It also leaves out that many "refugees" of Hurricane Katrina went to areas in other regions like Minneapolis and Salt Lake City, among others, with some staying in those areas.

There are some other things that come to mind, but those are a few that I got from the article.

Old 08-02-2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Well, Seattle is way out there and would probably feel like a different country to me. I'm closer in driving distance to Montreal.
In terms of the Seattle metro, from around the Central District/South Seattle going south through those suburban cities(Kent, Federal Way, Renton, Des Moines, Lakewood, etc) into Tacoma is where the Black population is concentrated. Some of this is historical and due ro the pretty strong military presence in that part of the metro.

It is also a metro that has has Black people in general leadership positions within the last 25-30 years or so. It also has Black owned media and I believe it is one of a handful of metros that has more Black men than Black women(likely due to the military presence).

BTW- SW Montreal is where the historic Black neighborhood is located, with some concentrated in other parts of that metro. Montreal Community Contact | Serving Quebec's Black and Caribbean community for the past 20 years

BlackMontreal.com

Festival International du Film Black de Montréal | 10e anniversaire

Black Montreal

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-02-2016 at 05:12 PM..

Old 08-02-2016, 05:39 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,784,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
In terms of the Seattle metro, from around the Central District/South Seattle going south through those suburban cities(Kent, Federal Way, Renton, Des Moines, Lakewood, etc) into Tacoma is where the Black population is concentrated. Some of this is historical and due ro the pretty strong military presence in that part of the metro.

It is also a metro that has has Black people in general leadership positions within the last 25-30 years or so. It also has Black owned media and I believe it is one of a handful of metros that has more Black men than Black women(likely due to the military presence).

BTW- SW Montreal is where the historic Black neighborhood is located, with some concentrated in other parts of that metro. Montreal Community Contact | Serving Quebec's Black and Caribbean community for the past 20 years

BlackMontreal.com

Festival International du Film Black de Montréal | 10e anniversaire

Black Montreal
I have yet to visit these cities, but both are in my top 5 of places I want to visit soon. Not sure I could live in either.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I have yet to visit these cities, but both are in my top 5 of places I want to visit soon. Not sure I could live in either.
I understand....I'm showing that just about any major North American metro is going to have at least a visible Black population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City