Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Connecticut or Oklahoma?
Connecticut 48 69.57%
Oklahoma 21 30.43%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 12:27 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Never try to talk logic, reason or facts with a right winger, you won't get anywhere
Its the exact same for you lefties. Youre too oblivious and self-centered to see the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 12:29 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Metro Chicago is still growing and still one of the largest economies in the U.S. "Rapid Decay"- where? Since you used Chicago as an example, can you provide some examples of parts of the city that are rapidly decaying (as in: worse than they were even a few years ago)? How about Boston, New York, San Francisco, Washington DC, LA, etc. which are all growing at exceptionally high rates.

Which specific policies doomed Detroit (which is doing far better than it was even a decade ago)? Detroit's fatal flaw- and this is true of most post-industrial cities that have yet to rebound- was a one-dimensional economy. Its success was too dependent on the automotive industry and when that industry changed and restructured, Detroit was hit hard. Boom towns going bust is a tale as old as time and Detroit is one of the largest and most recent examples. The most successful cities in the U.S., and the ones that are most resistant to economic slowdowns are the cities with the most diversified economies. Those tend to be so-called "blue" cities.
Very true. Granted, there are blue states that are in horrible shape right now, such as Connecticut, New Jersey, Illinois, Rhode Island and Michigan. But it's not necessarily because of Democratic policies. It's more likely due to major changes in industry, automation of labor, etc.

Old 08-01-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Metro Chicago is still growing and still one of the largest economies in the U.S. "Rapid Decay"- where? Since you used Chicago as an example, can you provide some examples of parts of the city that are rapidly decaying (as in: worse than they were even a few years ago)? How about Boston, New York, San Francisco, Washington DC, LA, etc. which are all growing at exceptionally high rates.

Which specific policies doomed Detroit (which is doing far better than it was even a decade ago)? Detroit's fatal flaw- and this is true of most post-industrial cities that have yet to rebound- was a one-dimensional economy. Its success was too dependent on the automotive industry and when that industry changed and restructured, Detroit was hit hard. Boom towns going bust is a tale as old as time and Detroit is one of the largest and most recent examples. The most successful cities in the U.S., and the ones that are most resistant to economic slowdowns are the cities with the most diversified economies. Those tend to be so-called "blue" cities.
Seriously? If you cant see the problems that Chicago (and IL in general) is facing, then there is absolutely no reason to talk to you. Ill let you simply Google, say, "Chicago problems" and see for yourself. If youre unaware of the corruption, crime, taxes, drugs, illegal immigration, pension troubles, bankruptcy, budget balancing woes, and skyrocketing debt, then I dont know what to say to you other than WAKE UP. Oh, people are leaving IL in droves in case you havent paid attention to that either.

Old 08-01-2016, 12:39 PM

12,823 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Never try to talk logic, reason or facts with a right winger, you won't get anywhere
Agreed. I'm p*ssing into the wind, but I'm bored on a Monday afternoon, and it's fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Seriously? If you cant see the problems that Chicago (and IL in general) is facing, then there is absolutely no reason to talk to you. Ill let you simply Google, say, "Chicago problems" and see for yourself. If youre unaware of the corruption, crime, taxes, drugs, illegal immigration, pension troubles, bankruptcy, budget balancing woes, and skyrocketing debt, then I dont know what to say to you other than WAKE UP. Oh, people are leaving IL in droves in case you havent paid attention to that either.
Which would of course explain why, according to the Census Bureau, that the population of IL is increasing. Or why the population of metro Chicago is increasing.

What facts are you bringing to the table? Still waiting to hear which "liberal policies" have doomed our nation's bluest cities.

Old 08-01-2016, 12:46 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,857,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well that's a stupid thing to say. The best performing economies are in BLUE states, like California, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Maryland, Virginia, Washington and DC. Boston, San Francisco, Seattle and Minneapolis are all thriving. California has the #1 job growth in the nation.
Virginia isn't a blue state.

Old 08-01-2016, 12:50 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Virginia isn't a blue state.
Yes it is. It went for Obama in 2012 and will go for Clinton in 2016.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Agreed. I'm p*ssing into the wind, but I'm bored on a Monday afternoon, and it's fun.

Which would of course explain why, according to the Census Bureau, that the population of IL is increasing. Or why the population of metro Chicago is increasing.

What facts are you bringing to the table? Still waiting to hear which "liberal policies" have doomed our nation's bluest cities.
Your IL population figures is a year old. People are escaping by the truckload, day after day. One source I read awhile back estimated 500 people a day (!!!!) are leaving IL.
The Incredible Shrinking Illinois | Chicago magazine | Politics & City Life February 2016

Your Chicago jobs data contradicts what Ive seen and read. IL and CHI lost an astronomical 16K jobs in December '15 alone. Right from CBJ:
http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/n...sing-jobs.html

As for how Dem policies have destroyed IL? They spend money when we didnt have it. They are destroying the middle class. They raise taxes to the point of ridiculousness. They encourage welfare. They give major corporations tax breaks and punish self-starter business. This is blatantly obvious. Rauner has a HUGE task of turning the state around. Hopefully he can follow Walker's footsteps in WI and start reducing IL's deficit. Quinn and in-jail-for-corruption Blagojevich ran the state into the ground while masking just how bad IL's situation is. Their solution? Like Obama, SPEND! SPEND! SPEND! Friggin idiots. And welcoming illegals as a "sanctuary city" is only adding to the problem. No clue, I tell ya.

Old 08-01-2016, 02:09 PM

Or from your own kind if you prefer an allies' look at just how bad it is:
Chicago Tribune

Old 08-01-2016, 02:35 PM

12,823 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Your IL population figures is a year old. People are escaping by the truckload, day after day. One source I read awhile back estimated 500 people a day (!!!!) are leaving IL.
The Incredible Shrinking Illinois | Chicago magazine | Politics & City Life February 2016
NEAT! You provided links to actual information instead of just ranting against the left. A few minor gripes, however (sad face :-( ):

1) As I mentioned before, Illinois is actually growing. My "Year Old Figures" happen to be more recent than the numbers in your article which are 2010-2014 figures.

2) Your article deals in county-by-county population changes, not overall state totals. It highlights the fact that rural areas are losing population ( which are the more republican counties in IL), whereas the growth is focused around counties that are A) more urban (especially around Chicago) or B) higher educated/have a college or university. From your own article: Across the rural-urban continuum, recovery from the recession has generally been more successful in counties where the working-age population has relatively high education levels. Nonmetro counties in the top quarter ranked by college completion in 2007-2011 tended to gain population in 2010-2013, while lower ranked counties tended to lose population. One likely reason is that the occupations and industries associated with higher education, such as education and health services, have done relatively well since the recession, providing high-education counties with more jobs to support a growing population.

3) The article fails to mention that many people who are leaving the "shrinking counties" are moving to other counties in Illinois, specifically "collar counties" around Chicago. That's part of the reason why although some, particularly more rural (and republican if you want to make it about politics) counties are shrinking, the state is still growing.

Quote:
Your Chicago jobs data contradicts what Ive seen and read. IL and CHI lost an astronomical 16K jobs in December '15 alone. Right from CBJ:
http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/n...sing-jobs.html
Well, I didn't provide Job data so I don't know what I was contradicting. But again, your article seems to contradict more recent state data which shows that Illinois is actually adding jobs:

News and Announcements - Article
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...th-in-illinois

Quote:
As for how Dem policies have destroyed IL? They spend money when we didnt have it. They are destroying the middle class. They raise taxes to the point of ridiculousness. They encourage welfare. They give major corporations tax breaks and punish self-starter business. This is blatantly obvious. Rauner has a HUGE task of turning the state around. Hopefully he can follow Walker's footsteps in WI and start reducing IL's deficit. Quinn and in-jail-for-corruption Blagojevich ran the state into the ground while masking just how bad IL's situation is. Their solution? Like Obama, SPEND! SPEND! SPEND! Friggin idiots. And welcoming illegals as a "sanctuary city" is only adding to the problem. No clue, I tell ya.
Still waiting to hear about any actual policy, not just rants...

Old 08-01-2016, 11:02 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
I grew up in CT and it was an alright place to live (a bit boring where I lived however) though I left after high school. This was back in the 90's. I have no idea how it is now. I've since lived in NYC, NJ, and now WA. I have no idea how Oklahoma is and tbh you are probably the first person I've seen say it is their favorite state. No offense of course, I've literally just never heard anyone say that. The only thing I know about it is what I've seen in movies e.g. tornadoes and such. I will however say I doubt you will get better pizza in Oklahoma! lol. I googled Ouachita Forest and the pics look pretty cool. If you are into outdoor activities, CT kinda sucks tbh. I did a lot of hiking and "mountain" biking growing up there and it was kinda meh. The terrain is pretty much flat everywhere. Also, the thing about CT forests is you are never too far away from civilization compared to other places in the country. Where I am now there is a 91,650 acre state forest 10 minutes down the street to play in. And that is small compared to other places around here. You won't get anything like that in CT. I also imagine the COL is significantly cheaper in Oklahoma compared to CT...even compared to New England in general. The whole northeast US is pretty pricey to live in.
You've clearly never been to Oklahoma then because we love our State. Most people I know, who are born and bred Okies, think of Oklahoma as their favorite state. I'm certainly one of 'em as are most in my family and extended family. Sure we're a bit biased. There is a lot of State pride here.

Come check it out and see for yourself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City