Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 02:40 PM

20,500 posts, read 33,299,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I know at least 5 Blacks from the Chicago area that have transferred to Dallas or Houston within the last 2 years.
Yeah I personally know many that went to DFW as well. Including my uncle and his family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 02:54 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,526,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Why is that? Pot meet kettle, you seem so open-minded......
Besides Uptown and Rogers Park I can't think of any neighborhoods on the north side that have a significant black population.

Old 08-13-2016, 03:24 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,801,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Besides Uptown and Rogers Park I can't think of any neighborhoods on the north side that have a significant black population.
So that means everyone else racist who doesn't live in uptown or RP? Stupid logic.

Old 08-13-2016, 04:01 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,526,356 times
Quote:
So that means everyone else racist who doesn't live in uptown or RP? Stupid logic.
More like stupidity on your part for drawing that conclusion from my statement.

Old 08-13-2016, 04:20 PM

2,992 posts, read 3,061,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
How do you know who is and isn't black?

I've never heard anyone argue that DALLAS, TEXAS has fewer racists than Chicago.
Well, "Black Irish," I'm sure you haven't heard anyone make that argument before, because I certainly didn't. But of course, you know that's not the point I was making. That was just your poor attempt at a diversion.

Old 08-13-2016, 11:32 PM

3,639 posts, read 8,269,028 times
Quote:
I know at least 5 Blacks from the Chicago area that have transferred to Dallas or Houston within the last 2 years.
Texas is probably the biggest destination among all chicagoans regardless of race but even more so for blacks. I know too many classmates and relatives that moved to texas.

Old 08-14-2016, 10:59 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,048,610 times
Quote:
Very interesting comment.

I can basically go to any bar in St Louis and enjoy myself without thought of race. Very seldom have I been to a restaurant and was the only one. That wasn't the case in Chicago. Where as many places in Chicago you would think Blacks didn't even exist in that city. When I lived in west Lakeview in Chicago (other than homeless people) I would go days without seeing any Blacks who live there.

St. Louis isn't loosing Blacks like you find in Chicago. As a matter of fact you find a lot of Blacks living in St Louis from Chicago.
When did you live I Lakeview? Just curious, I've lived here for around 12 years now and I see a great many black people ever single day, residents, workers and people going about their business. My area I'm in is mostly east of Southport, so maybe you were use to the western edges where it's probably more white. Around Halsted and Broadway I'm always a bit surprised at the large number of black people going about their business, just because the area doesn't have a large black resident population. This has been most noticeable in the past 5 years or so.

Just looking at stats as well - St Louis has lost 42% of it's actual black population since 1970. It's lost 17% of its black population since 2000, which is actually about the exact same loss as Chicago has seen.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:50 AM

2,250 posts, read 2,801,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
When did you live I Lakeview? Just curious, I've lived here for around 12 years now and I see a great many black people ever single day, residents, workers and people going about their business. My area I'm in is mostly east of Southport, so maybe you were use to the western edges where it's probably more white. Around Halsted and Broadway I'm always a bit surprised at the large number of black people going about their business, just because the area doesn't have a large black resident population. This has been most noticeable in the past 5 years or so.

Just looking at stats as well - St Louis has lost 42% of it's actual black population since 1970. It's lost 17% of its black population since 2000, which is actually about the exact same loss as Chicago has seen.
I spent the day yesterday in Wicker Park and Logan Square there were a lot of block people around especially at the bars.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:57 AM

131 posts, read 139,945 times
Quote:
I spent the day yesterday in Wicker Park and Logan Square there were a lot of block people around especially at the bars.
So like Lego's?

Interesting.

Old 08-14-2016, 12:08 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,889,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Well, the black people I'm talking about are mostly professionals and business owners who make plenty of money. I don't associate with uneducated, poor, ghetto people of any race. So, this idea that only poor blacks want to leave is nonsense. The poor ones want to stay so they can keep their Link cards and subsidized housing
I'm a black professional who lived in, and loves Chicago. I have lots of black professional friends in Chicago, and the only ones who want to leave are those who bought overpriced condos on the South Side, right before the bubble burst, because they thought an Olympic stadium was going up in Washington Park.

I've experienced more open racism in Boston, NY and even DC (housing discrimination) than in Chicago

Now that I think of it, the only black professionals I know who want(ed) to get out of Chicago live in Southside neighborhoods other than Bronzeville, Kenwood and Hyde Park.

Last edited by gladhands; 08-14-2016 at 12:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City