Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's the next cool city
New Orleans 22 6.63%
Providence 16 4.82%
Baltimore 16 4.82%
Pittsburgh 74 22.29%
Richmond 29 8.73%
Detroit 46 13.86%
SLC 38 11.45%
Nashville 91 27.41%
Voters: 332. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 03:13 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Portland is beyond "it." It's overdone to the point of tacky. It's just all spoiled white people who want to be coddled around other PC, well-off white people who are outdoorsy and eat vegan just like them. You couldn't pay me enough to live in Portland or Seattle. The hipsters are totally overdone and over the top and overrun in those cities.

On top of that, Portland still suffers from a massive diversity and racism problem.
Portland is an "it-ness" super nova. It has everything a Millennial could possibly want: streetcars, light rail, yoga studios, organic groceries, hundreds of miles of bike lanes. It's the city that C-D urbanistas hate but secretly (or not so secretly) want their cities to be like. Who in their right mind wouldn't want more fair trade coffee, more microbreweries, more indie bands, more artists, etc?

Also, Portland has plenty of diversity. I believe it was near the top of my list for Asian fusion restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 03:17 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Portland is an "it-ness" super nova. It has everything a Millennial could possibly want: streetcars, light rail, yoga studios, organic groceries, hundreds of miles of bike lanes. It's the city that C-D urbanistas hate but secretly (or not so secretly) want their cities to be like. Who in their right mind wouldn't want more fair trade coffee, more microbreweries, more indie bands, more artists, etc?

Also, Portland has plenty of diversity. I believe it was near the top of my list for Asian fusion restaurants.
The usefulness of all these industries is questionable at best. When we enter a recession again and people don't have the disposable income to pay for organic dog hotels and repetitive beers, Portland will be no more. Giant bubble.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:18 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,518 times
August 17, 2016. 10 Best Craft Beer Towns in America

The 10 best craft beer towns in America - Matador Network

Quote:
WE’RE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE CRAFT BEER revolution. 10 years ago, if you went into a bar, there was a fair chance they would just serve two types of beer: “light” and “foreign.” Mercifully, the era of bad beer is over. Beer is good pretty much everywhere, now. IPAs, DIPAs, Black IPAs Porters, Kolschs, Marzens, Browns, Reds, Sours — all right there on the menu of your local watering hole.

There’s really no bad place to be right now. But we’ve picked 10 cities that we think are truly stand-outs. There are obvious ones, yes — but we’ve tried to pay attention to less appreciated cities, as well.
Cincinnati
Chicago
Portland, Maine
Fort Collins
San Diego
Grand Rapids
Charlotte
Pittsburgh
Birmingham
Bend

Old 08-18-2016, 03:24 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,020,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
August 17, 2016. 10 Best Craft Beer Towns in America

The 10 best craft beer towns in America - Matador Network

Cincinnati
Chicago
Portland, Maine
Fort Collins
San Diego
Grand Rapids
Charlotte
Pittsburgh
Birmingham
Bend
^

Old 08-19-2016, 05:19 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Quote:

These kinds of things are increasingly to the point of "can you afford it?" There are few metros that are hip like this and tons of people wanting in, so prices skyrocket.

Old 08-19-2016, 08:57 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
These kinds of things are increasingly to the point of "can you afford it?" There are few metros that are hip like this and tons of people wanting in, so prices skyrocket.
But Portland hasn't become that way...yet.

How Portland's Cost of Living (and Beer) Compares to Major U.S. Cities | News & City Life | Portland Monthly

You can get a Blazers ticket for less than you could a Pelicans ticket. And a pint of craft brew costs $3 less than it does in Boston.

Old 08-19-2016, 09:02 AM

16 posts, read 17,148 times
Nashville has to be the next..I can't see Pitt simply because of the weather differential

Old 08-19-2016, 09:08 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
Quote:
I don't care for beer all that much. So I'll take your word for it.
I don't normally drink beer, but when I do, I drink microbrews from Portland.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:57 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,087,913 times
I wouldn't call Portland super diverse, especially by using its good scene. I know plenty of Asian Americans from San Francisco, Houston, Los Angeles, Seattle, and Dallas who have moved there and complain about the lack of Asian food establishments.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:01 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,087,913 times
Quote:
But Portland hasn't become that way...yet.

How Portland's Cost of Living (and Beer) Compares to Major U.S. Cities | News & City Life | Portland Monthly

You can get a Blazers ticket for less than you could a Pelicans ticket. And a pint of craft brew costs $3 less than it does in Boston.
This list includes Boise, Portland, Maine, and New Orleans, but not other cities like Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, any Florida city, or the dozens of other larger cities. I'm not saying Portland is cheap, but what sort of weird, selective set is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City