Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 01:29 PM

404 posts, read 904,563 times

Advertisements

Looking for the pros and cons of each location. I'm a 24 year old single guy who loves to snowboard. I like to drink beer and listen to live music, but I don't require crazy nightlife. I've ski bummed in Summit County, CO but I am looking for a place that is a lot less crowded. I am also considering SLC, however it doesn't sound like I will be avoiding any crowds there. I am single with no plans to have kids, so I don't care about schools or anything like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 03:18 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,175,822 times
Bellingham. You have Mt Baker about an hr East of the town. I was told, Canadians prefer that over Whistler (??) for skiing/snowboarding etc.. (ski area holds the record for the greatest recorded snowfall in the world in one season, 1,140 inches (95.0 ft; 29.0 m), recorded during the 1998–99 season.) You also have the ocean/Puget Sound/San Juan Islands(cold but very picturesque). Right across from Victoria and about 60 miles from Vancouver BC. The Fairhaven area has many bars. Might want to post to the WA forum too.

Old 08-09-2016, 06:09 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,873,269 times
Bellingham offers a mild climate during winter, but still close to major skiing at Mt. Baker, not overly crowded.
Plus if you need a big-city fix, Seattle is just 90 mintes away.

Bozeman is quite isolated, nearest big city is Denver, about 10 hours away. Big Sky is a premiere ski area, but with that comes high prices. Bozeman is also much colder than Bellingham during the winter.

Old 08-11-2016, 11:42 AM

What about Salt Lake City?

Old 08-11-2016, 05:22 PM

131 posts, read 141,454 times
Bellingham quite easily.

Old 08-11-2016, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a bag of it View Post
What about Salt Lake City?
Salt Lake City is a bit closer to Bozeman than Denver, but not by much, if that is your question. Salt Lake has world class skiing, but again, very expensive. Nightlife is, well, you can probably guess...but since this is not that important to you, then I think Bellingham is still your best bet.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Salt Lake City is a bit closer to Bozeman than Denver, but not by much, if that is your question. Salt Lake has world class skiing, but again, very expensive. Nightlife is, well, you can probably guess...but since this is not that important to you, then I think Bellingham is still your best bet.
Since when is SLC expensive? I've heard the exact opposite, very cheap COL.

Old 08-12-2016, 10:57 AM

I was referring to the ski areas.

Old 08-12-2016, 11:26 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,937,733 times
I live in Bellingham, and several of my family members live in Bozeman. I used to live in CO. I think this is a interesting matchup, I feel like Missoula is more of a direct comparison and it sounds like Bend, OR would be another possibility for you.

Anyway, it would probably help if you told us what else you're into. Bozeman is smaller, isolated with more of a "cowboy country" feel to it. They both have similarly sized universities, but Bellingham is definitely more artsy, quirky- more Portland-y overall. Outdoors recreation is what Bozeman is known for, but it is also huge here, with excellent hiking and biking in town and rugged skiing an hour away. And Bellingham is the only place where the Cascades touch the water, as the Chuckanuts on the south side of town drop directly into the Salish Sea. So if you like water AND mountains, there's no comparison.

There's a great beer scene here, nearly a dozen strong with several good tap houses and several more places about to open, including WY's Melvin Brewing. Here's a link to the local beer news: Tap Trail | Craft Beer News, Map, and Events. Music-wise, I'm not sure about Bozeman, but with the university here and a location between Vancouver and Seattle, many acts visit the area and sometimes add last minute dates in Bham. There are decent venues here, buskers on the street, lots of people playing in small bands, etc.

Anyway, adding SLC makes this an even more interesting comparison, since it's nothing like the other two cities that you're considering. I think it's underrated as a metro, but I'd have a tough time recommending it to a mid-twentysomething who likes beer culture and doesn't want kids. Great skiing, though living there wouldn't be my cup of tea. But it has some good city amenities, like transportation options and an emerging restaurant and music scene.

I still think Bellingham is a great option, but again I think we need more information. What are you doing for work? What's your housing budget? Bham isn't cheap and rental vacancies are extremely low- it's a desirable place to be. It's very chill, though (the city's nickname is "The city of subdued excitement") and could easily be what you're looking for....

Old 08-12-2016, 05:50 PM

128 posts, read 267,857 times
No nightlife in SLC? Over 120 bars and clubs in the downtown area. Many microbreweries opening up and a fun cultural scene. Come check it out and then make a decision about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City