Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: America's second favorite city?
Boston 8 5.56%
Chicago 24 16.67%
Los Angeles 45 31.25%
Philadelphia 9 6.25%
San Diego 6 4.17%
San Francisco 40 27.78%
Seattle 5 3.47%
Washington DC 7 4.86%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 07:13 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Actually you are wrong. There are very few Americans that I know where NYC is their favorite city. For sure NYC is the country's most dynamic, exciting, and the city people want to visit the most. It's the city probably with the most character and a world of its own. But I think you are overreaching when you say its Americans' favorite city. For sure I have found it to be one of many favorites for most people, but rarely do I find it to be #1 for most Americans.

This is anecdotal, but cities that I found that tend to be people's favorite city in the US are San Francisco, San Diego, Chicago, Boston. NYC is usually within the top 5 too. But I find more people having San Francisco as their favorite city in the US over NYC, significantly.

In all honesty, I would put San Francisco as #1, and then #2 really is up for grabs depending on the person, but usually can easily be NYC, Chicago or San Diego. Philly, LA and DC for the most part people like them, but far and few I have found have them as their #1 or #2. I think New Orleans also is another favorite.
The OP's point was that if you make a thread/poll on here asking which city has the best whatever, then NYC will win on 99 percent of the topics. It's just not fair to include NYC in those.

But yes, NYC is far and away the best city in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 07:15 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,822,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
The OP's point was that if you make a thread/poll on here asking which city has the best whatever, then NYC will win on 99 percent of the topics. It's just not fair to include NYC in those.

But yes, NYC is far and away the best city in America.
No he didn't. He said favorite. Best and favorite are not the same thing. Also awfully arrogant to assume NYC is the best city in the country. It's not the best for everything...

Old 08-12-2016, 07:19 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,908,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL63 View Post
if this is anecdotal as you said, then you can't say whether this wrong or not. most of city data thinks its top and the label as "best city in the world" is common. as i said obviously this is not everyone's opinion and you may not agree with it and neither do i, but it's the majority opinion, and a few anecdotes that you had doesn't change that.

and new orleans??? in terms of night life, you could have an arguement, but with all the other factors...dont think it's close
Something can be regarded as a "best city" in terms of various rankings, but still not be one's favorite city. A lot of people find NYC overwhelming and prefer smaller, or manageable-sized, cities. This is one reason why I hear many people prefer SF over NYC, for instance.

Old 08-12-2016, 07:24 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,563,890 times
Quote:
No he didn't. He said favorite. Best and favorite are not the same thing. Also awfully arrogant to assume NYC is the best city in the country. It's not the best for everything...
NYC is certainly better than whatever lil country town you live in.

Old 08-12-2016, 07:24 PM

5 posts, read 3,619 times
Quote:
So you post a blog that is someone's personal opinion? Also, you should read the comments from the blog, as many people who commented on there actually stated they do not like NYC or that it is overrrated.....Weak source, and next time do a better job of seeing people's feedback to it, because the only thing it has helped is to prove my point...

Really that's the best you can do too? A blog that is called "stuff white people like"?!
I agreed.....You asked America's most loved city, not best city.....there is a distinction. You can say that a city is the best city, however that doesn't mean it's your favorite......
Where is your confirmation that it's America's most loved city at any rate? In any event I concede my experience is anecodtal, however I discover a greater number of individuals like SF than they do NYC. NYC is an astounding city, however in the meantime an exceptionally overpowering, costly, filthy and unpleasant spot, so I wouldn't give it the grant of best.
http://zapatodos.top/40/thanks.png
I think urban communities like Boston, Chicago, and Philly are really the best, since they offer urban situations, with great frameworks, with steady employments, sensible COL (aside from Boston), without out all the negative things of NYC. So I don't think NYC is the best for everybody, unless you are hoping to work in Wall Street, design or in the media.
NYC is one of the best urban communities in the US yet I truly wouldn't say it's the best. Incompletely due in light of the fact that it's not the most effortless city to live in either. Urban communities like Philly, Chicago, Seattle, Boston, and I would say even DC offer a superior personal satisfaction than NYC. NYC has an awesome personal satisfaction on the off chance that you are searching for that NYC buzzing about rodent race life. At that point its the best. A great many people are not searching for that.

Old 08-12-2016, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
NYC is certainly better than whatever lil country town you live in.
Says the person who lives in the Bronx of all places. I would be aggressive and defensive too if I had to live with all the cockroaches and rats too. Bronx is disgusting. Love the rest of NYC though

Old 08-12-2016, 08:08 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathleenvarela View Post
I agreed.....You asked America's most loved city, not best city.....there is a distinction. You can say that a city is the best city, however that doesn't mean it's your favorite......
Where is your confirmation that it's America's most loved city at any rate? In any event I concede my experience is anecodtal, however I discover a greater number of individuals like SF than they do NYC. NYC is an astounding city, however in the meantime an exceptionally overpowering, costly, filthy and unpleasant spot, so I wouldn't give it the grant of best.

I think urban communities like Boston, Chicago, and Philly are really the best, since they offer urban situations, with great frameworks, with steady employments, sensible COL (aside from Boston), without out all the negative things of NYC. So I don't think NYC is the best for everybody, unless you are hoping to work in Wall Street, design or in the media.
NYC is one of the best urban communities in the US yet I truly wouldn't say it's the best. Incompletely due in light of the fact that it's not the most effortless city to live in either. Urban communities like Philly, Chicago, Seattle, Boston, and I would say even DC offer a superior personal satisfaction than NYC. NYC has an awesome personal satisfaction on the off chance that you are searching for that NYC buzzing about rodent race life. At that point its the best. A great many people are not searching for that.
You bring up a good point about cities like Philly, Boston, and DC being good "urban communities"...I'm not sure what the exact term is for that, but I'll go with that. But at least for me, those cities are still too limiting compared to NYC. I'd get bored quickly. However I suspect that most people would definitely have a better life in urban cities not named NYC.

Old 08-12-2016, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathleenvarela View Post

Did you just plagiarize my previous post?

Old 08-12-2016, 08:27 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,471,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
LA. It's the 2nd most loved and most hated
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 08-12-2016, 11:37 PM

54 posts, read 63,835 times
Public transport, amenities, economy, urbanization, density, and proximity to other major urban centers are all better in NYC than SF and the other cities on this list, so yes I would put it ahead in terms of being the better (best) city. Not to mention the higher violent crime rate in SF, which is honestly just embarrassing.

I think second after NYC would be Boston or Chicago depending on who you ask. LA would be up there because from afar people are enamored by its fame and entertainment influence, though imo what's the point of living in a city if you need a car to get anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City