Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's the seventh most important city in the US?
Houston 72 23.92%
Philadelphia 94 31.23%
Phoenix 12 3.99%
Dallas 19 6.31%
Seattle 33 10.96%
Detroit 9 2.99%
Atlanta 41 13.62%
Miami 21 6.98%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 10:42 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtutaaa View Post
Most or all of those people working in those categories you mentioned are policy makers , regulatory or administrative in nature .No real science or medical research going on or creativity . Just how many patents were produced by all those Federal Employees ?
"No real science or medical research going on" at the NIH, Goddard, etc.? I'd disagree with that.

In 2011, at least 300 patents were produced by all those federal government employees.

https://www.brookings.edu/interactiv...litan-america/

Here's a more up-to-date source but patents aren't broken down by source: https://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/ac...allcbsa_gd.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee2 View Post
Go-go happened nearly 50 years ago. That's like saying San Fransisco is still a place to find cheap rent and hang out in the Haight braiding flower crowns
I think you missed the part of my post that said "historically."

I'm a young Gen X Black guy mostly into Black culture, so I may not be up to speed on authentically new 'mainstream' cultural trends happening now in cities like SF. But in cities like DC that have been majority Black for a large part of its history, things like Go-Go are quite representative of unique, local cultural hallmarks, unless you include the newest dance craze like NOLA Bounce (which really isn't so new) or the 'new school' running man. DC isn't much different from several other cities in that respect.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:01 PM

231 posts, read 226,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think you missed the part of my post that said "historically."

I'm a young Gen X Black guy mostly into Black culture, so I may not be up to speed on authentically new 'mainstream' cultural trends happening now in cities like SF. But in cities like DC that have been majority Black for a large part of its history, things like Go-Go are quite representative of unique, local cultural hallmarks, unless you include the newest dance craze like NOLA Bounce (which really isn't so new) or the 'new school' running man. DC isn't much different from several other cities in that respect.
Right, but the black population being forced out means that that innovation is no longer happening or able to happen like it was.

Additionally, my point still stands. I am white so that affects my experience as well but I think many of the creative natives of DC who had the financial means to live elsewhere did so. They moved places where making a living as an artist wasn't a completely foreign concept largely looked down upon by the government workers who form the basis of DC's largest industry.

And DC attracts a very unique group of transplants. The art kids from the midwest, the punks from the south, the kid who wants to make a startup- those people aren't moving to DC (and never have). They are moving to LA, NYC, San Fran- cities where that kind of creative innovation is rewarded and considered cool, not lame and weird.

As such, DC misses out on a hugely influential group of people- and, like I said, the people that largely make a city look and feel "world class". Without the creative young people, so many cities would not have the vibrant identities they do. And as such, I think DC has really been held back and can never truly reach a position as a world class city, at least not as I conceive of them.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee2 View Post
Right, but the black population being forced out means that that innovation is no longer happening or able to happen like it was.
It wasn't even happening before rampant gentrification took hold though. Those unique cultural hallmarks are a product of a particular time and particular circumstances.

Quote:
Additionally, my point still stands. I am white so that affects my experience as well but I think many of the creative natives of DC who had the financial means to live elsewhere did so. They moved places where making a living as an artist wasn't a completely foreign concept largely looked down upon by the government workers who form the basis of DC's largest industry.

And DC attracts a very unique group of transplants. The art kids from the midwest, the punks from the south, the kid who wants to make a startup- those people aren't moving to DC (and never have). They are moving to LA, NYC, San Fran- cities where that kind of creative innovation is rewarded and considered cool, not lame and weird.

As such, DC misses out on a hugely influential group of people- and, like I said, the people that largely make a city look and feel "world class". Without the creative young people, so many cities would not have the vibrant identities they do. And as such, I think DC has really been held back and can never truly reach a position as a world class city, at least not as I conceive of them.
Point taken. Well hey, at least Baltimore is right up the road.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:10 PM

231 posts, read 226,849 times
Quote:
It wasn't even happening before rampant gentrification took hold though. Those unique cultural hallmarks are a product of a particular time and particular circumstances.

Point taken. Well hey, at least Baltimore is right up the road.

Haha. True! And they certainly have their fair share of "creative types"...

Old 08-17-2016, 03:10 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times
Quote:
But it's not just perception; again, the Bay Area used to be a singular MSA before the Census Bureau/OMB revised the criteria and statistically split up the region. So there's statistical precedence at work here.
I looked into this argument, it was inaccurate on two accounts.

First count being where it was stated the San Francisco Bay Area was 1 unified MSA (the part in bold). Which it hasn't ever been in its entire history. San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland have only been unified as a CSA and the predecessor to CSA from 1990 to 2003, the CMSA (the predecessor metric to CSA).

The San Francisco Bay Area has never been one unified MSA (or any of the predecessor metrics to the MSA; the PMSA, the SMSA, or the SMA). In fact, in several instances in the past, San Francisco and Oakland themselves used to be two different PMSAs (precursor to MSAs).

All historical tables are provided for here (Tables for 1950, 1960, 1963, 1971, 1973, 1981, 1983, 1990, 1993, 1999, and 2003):

http://www.census.gov/population/met...pastmetro.html

The second count being your argument about a precedence. According to the data provided for by the government, the Washington DC-Baltimore area became a CMSA (predecessor of the CSA) as early as 1993; only 10 exact years after the San Francisco Bay Area gained the same distinction (as a CMSA) and in both cases neither Washington DC-Baltimore nor San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland have been recognized as 1 singular MSA/PMSA, they've only been identified as a CSA/CMSA. So both areas have been a CMSA/CSA for well over 20 years now and neither have ever been anything more than a CSA/CMSA.

1993 definitions for both Washington DC-Baltimore CMSA and San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland CMSA (you can see the separate Oakland PMSA, the separate San Francisco PMSA, the separate San Jose PMSA, the separate Washington DC PMSA, and the separate Baltimore PMSA in the screenshots under their CMSA branch):

I'll reiterate my entire point from earlier, while you may choose to criss cross and use CSAs for some cities and MSAs for others (which is fine; it's your decision); I personally don't operate that way and will only use either all MSA for all cities or all CSA for all cities. I don't believe in criss crossing and picking or choosing which cities to use specific metrics on. I collect data from an objective point of view for fair comparisons, and using two different metrics for different cities isn't really fair in my book. So if you're telling me about your reasoning for using whichever metric it is that you personally use, then that is fine, by all means do whatever you want. Your life, your rules. However, if your point is to make a suggestion to me to do the same, as in use CSAs for some cities and MSAs for others; I'll have to politely pass on that for the reasons just stated earlier in this post.

Also yes, in actual life I do think the San Francisco Bay Area is obviously more cohesive and culturally unified than Washington DC-Baltimore, but I don't get paid by the government nor have a degree for demographical analysis nor work for an agency that redefines these metrics. I go with what they give me because that's their job and personally speaking, I only like to compare cities using the same metric for all. Criss crossing between metrics to me is an unbalanced comparison since the metrics are applied to each city with the same standards and same guidelines.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 08-17-2016 at 04:14 PM..

Old 08-17-2016, 03:19 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,516,649 times
I'm going to start a conversation and say that Houston's monolithic economy isn't as important as Philadelphia's. This year is a pretty great example given the fragile nature of Houston's economy. If people think that Houston's oil resources are a big boon, just remember Pennsylvania sits on top of the largest natural gas deposit in the world with the marcellus shale

Philly's companies are extremely influential in their given markets. Urban Outfitters decides what American's wears, Comcast is the world's largest media company (Before Comast, it was Bell Atlantic which is easily one of the most influential and important companies of all time), Aramark decides what schools/businesses eat, AmerisourceBergen has enormous influence in the prescription drug space, Vanguard is the second largest investment company in the world, and the fastest growing. UPenn, Temple, and Jefferson are some of the biggest hospital systems in the country What Philly is missing a homebrewed super bank and the VC culture that dominates SF and Boston. We use to have so many different banks, insurance companies, and elite law firms. A few still exist but they aren't nearly as influential as they were in the past. The area is also the NA HQs or hubs for a fair number of multinational corps like SAP, AstraZeneca, GSK, HSBC, Subaru, Seimiens Healthcare, JPMC, TD N.A., TEVA, ACE, etc.

Idk, I am sure you could make a pretty convincing argument for the other cities too.

Old 08-18-2016, 01:58 PM

1,122 posts, read 925,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I know this sounds elitist-ignorant, but I am surprised at how any city besides Seattle, Philadelphia, Houston, and Dallas are getting votes for national importance. I mean, basically all the cities on the list are great places to live in, but most important (out of those)?
in order of national importance;

NYC
LA
Chicago
DC
SF
Boston

next tier down kinda (and no. none of these is cracking the top 6 anytime soon)...

Seattle/Houston (a pick-em)
Dallas/Ft Worth
Miami/South FL
Philadelphia
Inland Empire (GOT MEXICO)???
Sunn Diego ???
Orange County ???
NC Triangle ???
Minnesota Twin drinking cities. ???

Last edited by odurandina; 08-18-2016 at 03:25 PM..

Old 08-18-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
I looked into this argument, it was inaccurate on two accounts.

First count being where it was stated the San Francisco Bay Area was 1 unified MSA (the part in bold). Which it hasn't ever been in its entire history. San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland have only been unified as a CSA and the predecessor to CSA from 1990 to 2003, the CMSA (the predecessor metric to CSA).

The San Francisco Bay Area has never been one unified MSA (or any of the predecessor metrics to the MSA; the PMSA, the SMSA, or the SMA). In fact, in several instances in the past, San Francisco and Oakland themselves used to be two different PMSAs (precursor to MSAs).

All historical tables are provided for here (Tables for 1950, 1960, 1963, 1971, 1973, 1981, 1983, 1990, 1993, 1999, and 2003):

http://www.census.gov/population/met...pastmetro.html

The second count being your argument about a precedence. According to the data provided for by the government, the Washington DC-Baltimore area became a CMSA (predecessor of the CSA) as early as 1993; only 10 exact years after the San Francisco Bay Area gained the same distinction (as a CMSA) and in both cases neither Washington DC-Baltimore nor San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland have been recognized as 1 singular MSA/PMSA, they've only been identified as a CSA/CMSA. So both areas have been a CMSA/CSA for well over 20 years now and neither have ever been anything more than a CSA/CMSA.

1993 definitions for both Washington DC-Baltimore CMSA and San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland CMSA (you can see the separate Oakland PMSA, the separate San Francisco PMSA, the separate San Jose PMSA, the separate Washington DC PMSA, and the separate Baltimore PMSA in the screenshots under their CMSA branch):

I'll reiterate my entire point from earlier, while you may choose to criss cross and use CSAs for some cities and MSAs for others (which is fine; it's your decision); I personally don't operate that way and will only use either all MSA for all cities or all CSA for all cities. I don't believe in criss crossing and picking or choosing which cities to use specific metrics on. I collect data from an objective point of view for fair comparisons, and using two different metrics for different cities isn't really fair in my book. So if you're telling me about your reasoning for using whichever metric it is that you personally use, then that is fine, by all means do whatever you want. Your life, your rules. However, if your point is to make a suggestion to me to do the same, as in use CSAs for some cities and MSAs for others; I'll have to politely pass on that for the reasons just stated earlier in this post.

Also yes, in actual life I do think the San Francisco Bay Area is obviously more cohesive and culturally unified than Washington DC-Baltimore, but I don't get paid by the government nor have a degree for demographical analysis nor work for an agency that redefines these metrics. I go with what they give me because that's their job and personally speaking, I only like to compare cities using the same metric for all. Criss crossing between metrics to me is an unbalanced comparison since the metrics are applied to each city with the same standards and same guidelines.
I stand corrected about SF and SJ having formerly been a singular standard metropolitan area (MSA or any of its predecessors). But still, it's quite obvious that the Bay Area has an overarching regional identity and a very interconnected economy. For all intents and purposes, I consider it one region but that's not true for other multinodal CSAs (e.g., DC-Baltimore). We'll agree to disagree here.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:33 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
So people are starting to overrate Boston now. Still do no think it is certifiable number 6 at all.

Last edited by Spade; 08-18-2016 at 02:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City