Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's the seventh most important city in the US?
Houston 72 23.92%
Philadelphia 94 31.23%
Phoenix 12 3.99%
Dallas 19 6.31%
Seattle 33 10.96%
Detroit 9 2.99%
Atlanta 41 13.62%
Miami 21 6.98%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 06:16 PM

150 posts, read 215,205 times

Advertisements

Brooklyn, apparently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 07:10 PM

311 posts, read 314,004 times
What many fail to realize is that Philly's numbers are shortchanged in many areas because of its proximity to NYC, whereas Boston's are enhanced due to it having control over its region. Just a thought.
That being said, I assumed Boston as sixth even though it was a close call for the sake of poll parity. I'm sure many would have placed Houston, Philly, or some other city as sixth had I placed Boston in the poll. Boston would have probably won pretty handily, however, and less cities would have gotten a number of votes and been in the conversation.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:05 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterestingPerson View Post
Is Boston's economy as diverse as Philadelphia's? Serious question.
No it isn't. Boston ranked .65 for economic diversity out of 1. Philly ranked .73. Those numbers were done by a Prudential Economic survey.

But I hardly think thats a measure of importance. San Antonio and Denver came out as the most diverse economies in the US. I don't think anyone would argue they are more important than any of the cities talked about here.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:35 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,089,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innit View Post
All anyone cares about are economical numbers which is kind of shallow because there is way more to a city than just that
Well, this thread is about importance. So far, no one has given me any reason to believe people, followed by money, are not the most important things to a country.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:25 PM

173 posts, read 198,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
That means you're bumping either SF or DC to 6, which I strongly disagree with. You'd also be rating it higher than Boston and Houston, when it should be considered about 8 or 9, ranked even with DFW.
I honestly think arguments can be made for Philadelphia being as high as 3rd or 4th. The cities commonly listed on here from #3 down to #9 are very comparable in many respects, and so I find it odd when posters comment on this topic saying things like "it's indisputable" as to a particular order or call their lists "consensus", etc. - city data forum polls and opinions can be fun, but these are by no means official or indisputable.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Culture, museums, institutions of higher learning, the arts, sciences, cuisine, etc all are pretty important.

The almighty dollar continues to rule. Very sad.
You seem to be ignoring the fact that I put the most weight on the number of people, not the economy. Neither Philadelphia nor DFW are slouches in any of those categories, but DFW has between a third of a million to a million more people.

Personally, I find it more shallow that you value the above more than people, but agree to disagree, I suppose.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Cuisine for example, doesn't nominate two clowns for President, so how I value people and how do you are quite different. Less people the better.
Are you trying to also say that better equates to important? You say stuff to support your points, but they are rhetoric without any sort of data to back it up. Some people have made good points as to why Philadelphia may be more important than DFW, but you haven't said any facts to lead people to believe Philadelphia is so far ahead of DFW or Houston that they should not be mentioned together.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:53 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
You seem to be ignoring the fact that I put the most weight on the number of people, not the economy. Neither Philadelphia nor DFW are slouches in any of those categories, but DFW has between a third of a million to a million more people.

Personally, I find it more shallow that you value the above more than people, but agree to disagree, I suppose.

I think people is a tough for Philly as there are close to 2 million people arguably in the greater philly area not included and add to the area around Philly

Trenton, Allentown etc are all very close Trenton is I believe as close or closer to philly then FW is to Dallas yet not included in the population counts

Old 09-29-2016, 09:58 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Trenton, Allentown etc are all very close Trenton is I believe as close or closer to philly then FW is to Dallas yet not included in the population counts
Its about 5 miles further, but I do understand your point.

Either way, I think by most measurements, Philly and DFW are equally as important to the US as one another. They come out about equal in just about every measurement.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:02 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Its about 5 miles further, but I do understand your point.

Either way, I think by most measurements, Philly and DFW are equally as important to the US as one another. They come out about equal in just about every measurement.

I think there are quite a few cities today in a similar range so makes sense

Philly is part of a much larger region then the population as a stand alone shows. This is a blessing (greater job access) and maybe a curse - shortchanged on actual size by some measures
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City