Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 01:45 PM

57 posts, read 74,782 times

Advertisements

Bakersfield, CA

$76,000 annual salary
$5,000 Sign-on
Relocation is paid
Full benefits

Tucson, AZ

$68,000 annual salary
No sign on
Relocation paid
Full benefits

Approximate salary after taxes in Tucson per month (4,062.15)

Approximate salary after taxes in Bakersfield per month (4,337.70), yes I included the CA SDI in this.

1) Where will my salary stretch the farthest? I want to be able to afford a nice 1 bedroom apartment.

2) Best nightlife and dating scence. I'm a 25 year old single male so this important.

3) How is the traffic in each city?

4) Best daytime activities: shopping, restaurants, outdoor entertainment, etc?

5) What are the politicAl and religious views in each city?

6) Any other tips or advice would be appreciated.

Note: The salaries are pretty much the same (Bakersfield is only a tad more) but I do get a sign on bonus. However, that won't make or break my decison. I want to go where I will be the happiest. I am from the midwest and work in healthcare if that matters. I also hold no prejudices and I'm opened minded but I am conservative/libertarian in my political beliefs.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 02:10 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
This is actually a pretty close one, because Tucson has stuff Bakersfield doesn't and vice versa.

Tucson, a bigger city, proximity to Mexico and Phoenix, and Mt Lemmon right nearby

Bakersfield, only 100 miles from Downtown LA, and better climate overall, but smaller city, with more blight.

I would choose Bakersfield, but only by a hair, mainly because if you wanted to get a job in LA or the Bay Area eventually, it would help your chances.

Also, CA is not a right to work/right to starve state like Arizona is, so there's that...

Old 08-14-2016, 11:07 AM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times
At your age, one thing that Tucson has that Bakersfield doesn't is the perks of having THE state University there. Bakersfield has one of those non descript Cal State Schools but it certainly doesn't provide as much as the University of Arizona would in terms of athletics and entertainment.

Another advantage I think Tucson has is that the mountains are right on top of you so you can go out in them after work as opposed to only being able to access them on weekends.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:15 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,973,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
At your age, one thing that Tucson has that Bakersfield doesn't is the perks of having THE state University there. Bakersfield has one of those non descript Cal State Schools but it certainly doesn't provide as much as the University of Arizona would in terms of athletics and entertainment.

Another advantage I think Tucson has is that the mountains are right on top of you so you can go out in them after work as opposed to only being able to access them on weekends.
Agree, Bakerfield has a bad rep in California for having bad weather and being poor. The weather is probably no worse than Tucson, but it is considered hot/dusty by Coastal Californians. The main industries there are oil and agriculture, so a lot of blue collar and farm laborers. Bakersfield has the lowest percentage of college graduates of the largest 100 metros (14.7%). I had a friend that used to work up there. She made good money, but decided she was happier commuting from LA 2 hrs each way for 3 days a week than she would be living in Bakersfield. The dating scene is limited, especially if your looking for someone who went to college. It's a quiet city without a whole lot of entertainment options unless you want to drive a couple of hours. The main reason people live there is because it's cheap. If you had a big family and wanted a big house for cheap, Bakersfield is a place it could happen. Unless you think you can parlay a one year stint into a job in LA or SD, I wouldn't do it.

I haven't spent a ton of time in Tucson, but I have to imagine any city with a flagship state university has got to have a better economy, dating scene, and entertainment options than Bakersfield.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:24 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,519,579 times
I'd go with Tucson

Old 08-16-2016, 11:54 AM

515 posts, read 558,415 times
Bakersfield. L.A. + Sierra Nevadas nearby

Old 08-16-2016, 01:37 PM

84 posts, read 146,854 times
There's nothing in Tucson other than U of A, NOTHING. If you want to party and can get in with some of the college crowd down there, you could have a nice couple of years, but it's not really anywhere to build a professional life. You're next job, you will have more than likely have to relocate again. I lived in phx for 7 years, went to tucson a few times, couldn't get out of there fast enough. It's basically a rural mexican town, so if you like that kinda thing, you should be fine.

Old 08-16-2016, 01:42 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livedeverywhere123 View Post
There's nothing in Tucson other than U of A, NOTHING. If you want to party and can get in with some of the college crowd down there, you could have a nice couple of years, but it's not really anywhere to build a professional life. You're next job, you will have more than likely have to relocate again. I lived in phx for 7 years, went to tucson a few times, couldn't get out of there fast enough. It's basically a rural mexican town, so if you like that kinda thing, you should be fine.

Old 08-16-2016, 01:56 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osufootballfan32 View Post
Bakersfield, CA

$76,000 annual salary
$5,000 Sign-on
Relocation is paid
Full benefits

Tucson, AZ

$68,000 annual salary
No sign on
Relocation paid
Full benefits

Approximate salary after taxes in Tucson per month (4,062.15)

Approximate salary after taxes in Bakersfield per month (4,337.70), yes I included the CA SDI in this.

1) Where will my salary stretch the farthest? I want to be able to afford a nice 1 bedroom apartment.

2) Best nightlife and dating scence. I'm a 25 year old single male so this important.

3) How is the traffic in each city?

4) Best daytime activities: shopping, restaurants, outdoor entertainment, etc?

5) What are the politicAl and religious views in each city?

6) Any other tips or advice would be appreciated.

Note: The salaries are pretty much the same (Bakersfield is only a tad more) but I do get a sign on bonus. However, that won't make or break my decison. I want to go where I will be the happiest. I am from the midwest and work in healthcare if that matters. I also hold no prejudices and I'm opened minded but I am conservative/libertarian in my political beliefs.

Thank you!
I live in Tucson currently and Tucson is significantly cheaper than Bakersfield. Tucson is about 25% less than the median COL cost of the whole nation and housing is incredibly affordable. At your salary you'll be able to afford something very nice here. The cream of the crop.

Tucson has more girls than guys. This is because of the U of A. So dating will most likely revolve around the college which you aren't too far away from age wise. Many grad students and medical students your age. Nightlife in Tucson is good, lots of dive bars and a couple clubs along 4th avenue. Generally the best nights to go out are Thursday and Saturday. Friday for some reason is not as popular though there will be people.

Traffic is pretty much limited to the surface streets. Rush hour on the I-10 is pathetic and practically laughable. It's the East-West surface streets, mostly Grant, Speedway, and Broadway with the most traffic. Oracle can also get pretty bad as its the best road to Oro Valley. If you work in DT I do not recommend the East side suburbs solely for this reason. I'd actually recommend no further East than Wilmot if you need to be in DT at a reasonable time. If you work along one of the freeways then realistically you can live almost anywhere no worries. The I-19 is decent and so is the I-10 from either Vail or Marana most of the time.

I have no experience with Bakersfield but I do imagine Tucson having better outdoor activities as you can ski here (short season though) with plenty of hiking, caves, camping, etc. that can be done here. Tucson's location also puts it in a favorable location to visit many of the oldest settlements in Arizona like Tombstone and Bisbee with lots of historic structures. I also recommend visiting Old Tucson on the west side of the Tucson Mountains, many old Westerns were filmed there. Shopping is good here in Tucson with the best in the Foothills area. Restaurants are mostly mom and pops or local Tucson-only chains with some more national chains in the suburbs. If you prefer to support local then Tucson is one of the easiest cities to do that in.

Politically Tucson is center though it is reliably Democratic in local elections. Tucson just appears liberal in comparison to the conservative-leaning Phoenix metro. You'll find that Tucson is apolitical as a whole, like most of Arizona, and most people don't care. Same with religion, while it is a Christian-majority like most places in the country they play little influence and most people keep it to themselves here.

Old 08-16-2016, 03:33 PM

57 posts, read 74,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livedeverywhere123 View Post
I'm from a small town. 30,000-40,000 people. Tucson will be huge to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City