Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most ignored by residents?
East Oakland 3 5.77%
Harlem/South Bronx 0 0%
North Philadelphia 10 19.23%
Dorchester/Roxbury/Mattapan 1 1.92%
South (Central) Los Angeles 2 3.85%
South Side of Chicago 19 36.54%
Southeast Washington, DC 12 23.08%
Other 5 9.62%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 05:23 PM

8 posts, read 6,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

I feel like VA people just go to Georgetown and maybe some other areas and that's it.
Well yeah, most people aren't gonna go traipsing through the ghetto unless they have to. Outsiders want to see the "pretty" part of DC and thus ignore half the city. I don't blame them; I'd rather see the monuments and the zoo too if it were my vacation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 05:27 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyStinger View Post
Well yeah, most people aren't gonna go traipsing through the ghetto unless they have to. Outsiders want to see the "pretty" part of DC and thus ignore half the city. I don't blame them; I'd rather see the monuments and the zoo too if it were my vacation.
Brightwood, Petworth, Columbia Heights, Bloomingdale and Woodridge are ghettos?

Old 08-18-2016, 07:18 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,562,959 times
SE DC, east of the river in general because there is NOTHING over there and this is coming from a person that's born and raised on that side of DC.

The South Bronx has Yankee Stadium and it's on a come up.
Harlem has been popping for the last ten or so years now. Lots of yuppies and tourists around there now.

North Philly at least has Temple University.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:21 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,875,478 times
North Philadelphia is really bad and so is West Baltimore, it was sad to see. The worst city ever thou is still Gary IN that place is near 3rd world living conditions at least North Philly and West Baltimore are super close to other great parts of the city.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:24 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,562,959 times
North Philly and West Baltimore are cool places to me IMO. If I ever moved to those cities those would be my #1 sections to live in, specifically Mondawmin or Upton in Bmore or Hunting Park in North Philly.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:40 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
North Philadelphia is really bad and so is West Baltimore, it was sad to see. The worst city ever thou is still Gary IN that place is near 3rd world living conditions at least North Philly and West Baltimore are super close to other great parts of the city.
I was thinking that. It's sort of hard to put North Philly completely out of mind since it's in relatively close proximity to more gentrified areas.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:48 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Gary does have Miller Beach in the NE corner of the city, which is actually solidly middle class. There are some lower middle class areas in the NW and far southern end of the city as well.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:29 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,099,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
SE DC, east of the river in general because there is NOTHING over there and this is coming from a person that's born and raised on that side of DC.

The South Bronx has Yankee Stadium and it's on a come up.
Harlem has been popping for the last ten or so years now. Lots of yuppies and tourists around there now.

North Philly at least has Temple University.
Yeah but you have admitted you have an abject hatred of the city so people should view your posts on the city with that in mind
FYI Harlem has been popping for decades

Old 08-18-2016, 09:49 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Quote:
I was thinking that. It's sort of hard to put North Philly completely out of mind since it's in relatively close proximity to more gentrified areas.
And as much as people separate these neighborhoods-Fairmount, Art Museum, Spring Garden, Poplar, Francisville, "Eraserhood", even Fishtown and Northern Liberties-they are "North Philly". There are many popular concert venues and Eastern State Penitentiary is a very popular tourist attraction.

In some ways parts of the Northeast and Northwest and especially Southwest Philly are the most ignored parts of Philly.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:41 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,098,877 times
Quote:
Anacostia is essentially the next frontier since places like Trinidad, Eckington, and H Street are being tapped out. Among DC residents, I think it's very much on the radar as the next gentrification target, and it's already seen a decent amount of investment. To say it hasn't received as much investment as, say, Shaw is ridiculous because those areas are getting more investment than virtually everywhere else in America.

The Gentrification Debate in Anacostia - The Kojo Nnamdi Show

You said you lived in Northern Virginia, right? I feel like VA people just go to Georgetown and maybe some other areas and that's it.
Personally I found Trinidad to be straight up ghetto, at least off of Bladensburg Rd. That's not to say there isn't development taking place in the neighborhood but I would certainly hesitate from calling it a "nice" area or far along in the gentrification process.

Anyway back to the original question.

New York City- Staten Island easily
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City