Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you have as the new capital?
Denver 21 21.65%
Chicago 37 38.14%
Detroit 9 9.28%
St. Louis 28 28.87%
Oklahoma City 2 2.06%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 03:04 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,824,885 times

Advertisements

Let's pretend DC gets nuked or just something terrible happens to it. Which of these five cities would you pick to be the new capital?

-Denver - A city truly in the center of the country, very safe from outside attacks and natural disasters.

-Chicago - Solidifying the city as the third largest, ensuring Houston doesn't surpass, while the government buildings go on the southside to revitalize it and we get a blend of a capital city and large stereotypical city with big buildings, and fairly safe in regards to geographic location.

-Oklahoma City - A city so unknown to the international community with so much potential if expanded there.

-Detroit - SO much space to expand in, help revitalize a decaying city, and making the city great once again with a new strong economy.

-St. Louis - More central and safely located city. Help revitalize the city's poor areas. Good culture location too. Midwest, meets south, east meets west (historically) and with one of the most famous waterways cutting next to the city.

Some criteria:
-Consider geographic location in relation to safety from international attacks
-If the city has enough room to accommodate the memorials and all the government buildings, and Smithsonian museums
-The city's economic might
-How international the city is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 03:29 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,149,505 times
St. Louis is the easy winner here. It's perfect. Between the North and the South, between the East and the West. Very close to the U.S. center of population (Denver, while close to the geographic center, is not close to the center of population). Remember, when DC was chosen as the site of the capital, it was close to the nation's center of population.

St. Louis also wins in roominess (though Detroit would be a good pick here, too). As a city with a much smaller population than it once had, it's got the infrastructure but enough empty space to fill with monuments, new government buildings, etc.

I don't think "safety from international attacks" is particularly relevant -- if they're the capital, they all become equal targets. I mean, Denver's location next to the Rockies makes it harder to attack by land from the west, I guess, but this isn't 1940.

Other cities are better picks economically, but that's OK. The federal government becomes the economy. And none of the cities are that international except for possibly Chicago, which I think would be a poor choice for a variety of reasons.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:38 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
We did this before with a few different options: //www.city-data.com/forum/gener...pital-u-s.html

My answer is still the same: either St. Louis or Kansas City.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:39 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
Chicago has direct access to the Great Lakes, a strategic naval, transportation, and defensive advantage. It is an internationally known city. It's the railway hub of the US. It's dead flat, great for airport or air force base expansion. The city already has a large expanse of parks for memorials. The downtown business area has never gone downhill. Large subway system for bomb shelters.

Old 08-18-2016, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
We did this before with a few different options: //www.city-data.com/forum/gener...pital-u-s.html

My answer is still the same: either St. Louis or Kansas City.
KC is not on the poll sir.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:07 PM

10,753 posts, read 23,828,256 times
Denver. It's got an airport big enough to serve Tokyo, lots of open space and land to build on, a robust economy and well educated populace, middle of the country, and it already has a number of federal operations located in the area.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:18 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
KC is not on the poll sir.
I can read. I wanted to mention it as an option so I did.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I can read. I wanted to mention it as an option so I did.
Obviously you can read, I just wanted to tell you.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:22 PM

16,090 posts, read 10,753,057 times
If I remember right, St. Louis was once lobbying for, and considered, an alternative to DC....briefly.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:35 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,102,233 times
OP on a roll the past few days with DC...now he wants the city wiped off the map...just joking with you man...anyways as stated this poll has been done before and I will give the same answer as last time...Denver has already been given that designation, its already been picked...backup Fed sites are located in that area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City