Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More important/influential/innovative/global of the two now and in the future?
the Greater San Francisco Bay Area 65 76.47%
Greater Boston 20 23.53%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 08:15 AM

1,122 posts, read 923,470 times

Advertisements

Who said Boston is number 1? All i said was Boston ranks closer to SF than many people will think.
or
that Boston's numbers will surprise a good number of people.

Bostons' tech is oriented toward's medicine, defense and it's universities... Obviously SF is very strong in defense as well..... One thing i strongly admire San Francisco for is the host of turnkey legal, marketing, and organizational services to help startups move forward with lightning speed.... By comparison, Boston is far behind SF in this area.

and yes, Red John's list was fantastic and thoughtful, even if he craps on Boston like a horse's ass.

here's a short drone vid of Fort Point Channel and Rose Kennedy Greenway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr6s2GQGquM

Last edited by odurandina; 08-21-2016 at 08:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 11:49 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,108,060 times
EDIT: nevermind, found what i was looking for

Old 08-21-2016, 01:47 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,954,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
and yes, Red John's list was fantastic and thoughtful, even if he craps on Boston like a horse's ass.
I think Boston is a fine city. Nothing wrong with it. I was there as recent as yesterday morning. I spent three days in Greater Boston, two in the city itself and one on the coast. I think it is a fantastic city and have always maintained that. It has one of my favorite street-level feels in all of America, along with Chicago and New York. Especially its peak high density areas in the core of Boston. Few streets as beautiful as Newbury.

My only actual criticism for Boston has always been that its smaller than I'd have liked for it to be and that it is cold. Boston nor its people have any control of the latter, so I don't hold that against them. I do get a sense though that Bostonians want their city to remain the size it is now and that they're averse to becoming a significantly larger metropolis. That's a shame, with the way Boston's core is built, I'd have liked for it to be 3X larger, it would've had a spectacular feel to it. I do like visiting Boston, even though I'm not sure I could live there. The San Francisco Bay Area, in contrast, appears to embrace getting larger, more so the rest of the Bay Area than San Francisco the city itself but the region seems to want to be a large scale draw. It is very good at it too right now.

I think Boston is the #6 most important city in all of America. Any other country in the world and it would've been in the Top 5.

Old 08-21-2016, 02:59 PM

6,804 posts, read 6,027,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylover94 View Post
Boston is a very influential city in specific fields but it is not as influential or important as San Francisco.
And, OP, you really shouldn't be too concerned by Boston's current lack of prestige. Boston hasn't been among the top of the top cities in the nation since 1730. However, it has managed to stay surprising relevant for a very very long time.

If someone in 1920 had suggested that Boston was more influential than Detroit or Saint Louis, they probably would've been ridiculed just as much as someone in 2016 who suggests that Boston is more relevant than SF or DC.

Now there's no reason to think that SF and DC will end up going the way of STL and Detroit. My point here is that Boston has done very well for itself over the last 4 centuries regardless of it losing a spot in the top 5, and that's something to be more or less proud of I guess.

Old 08-21-2016, 03:22 PM

6,804 posts, read 6,027,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
I do get a sense though that Bostonians want their city to remain the size it is now and that they're averse to becoming a significantly larger metropolis. That's a shame, with the way Boston's core is built, I'd have liked for it to be 3X larger, it would've had a spectacular feel to it.
What would you have us do exactly?

Tear down people's homes in Roxbury, Dorchester, and Mattapan in order to build modern apartment buildings and highrises?

The city of Boston already did that once. In the 1950s the city of Boston tore down the entire West End in order to build highrises and trendy brutalist buildings. That decision is currently thought to be one of the biggest mistakes in all of Boston's history, and one that won't be repeated any time soon.
We're currently building up the Seaport, Fenway, Northpoint, Kendall Square areas but in general there just isn't enough build able space for us to increase the size of the city's core by a factor of 3 without tearing a lot of stuff down.

Old 08-21-2016, 03:28 PM

Top 100 Non-Art Museums in the World by Annual Attendance, 2014:

+ Greater Boston:
- Museum of Science: 1.446 Million

+ San Francisco Bay Area:
- California Academy of Sciences: 1.4 Million

http://www.aecom.com/content/wp-cont...heme_Index.pdf

Top 100 Most Visited Art Museums in the World by Annual Attendance, 2014:

- Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco: 1,586,480

+ Greater Boston:
- Museum of Fine Arts, Boston: 1,132,206

https://www.museus.gov.br/wp-content...anking2014.pdf

Top 1000 Most Visited Art Museum Exhibitions in the World by Annual Attendance, 2014:

- Matisse from SFMoMA (358,369)
- Project Los Altos: SFMoMA in Silicon Valley (314,048)
- David Hockney: A Bigger Exhibition (239,462)
- Georgia O’Keeffe and Lake George (200,484)
- The Art of Bulgari: La Doke Vita and Beyond (174,397)
- Modernism from the National Gallery of Art (110,108)
- Anders Zoom: Sweden’s Master Painter (97,895)
- Yoga: the Art of Transformation (81,860)
- Jim Dine and Claes Oldenburg (68,099)

+ Greater Boston:
- Jamie Wyeth (177,986)
- John Singer Sargent: Water Colours (175,686)
- Quilts and Colour (137,466)
- Boston Loves Impressionism (131,565)
- She Who Tells a Story (115,671)
- Magna Carta (80,973)
- Visiting Masterpieces (51,938)

https://www.museus.gov.br/wp-content...anking2014.pdf

Tony Award Winning Plays:

+ Greater San Francisco Bay Area:
- Angels in America: A Gay Fantasia on National Themes

+ Greater Boston:
None

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...-winning_plays

Regional Theater Tony Award:

- American Conservatory Theater (33rd Tony Awards, 1979)
- San Francisco Mime Troupe (41st Tony Awards, 1987)
- Berkeley Repertory Theater (51st Tony Awards, 1997)

+ Greater Boston:
- Trinity Repertory Company (35th Tony Awards, 1981)
- American Repertory Theater (40th Tony Awards, 1986)
- Huntington Theater Company (67th Tony Awards, 2013)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Region...tre_Tony_Award

Research and Development Spending for Companies in the World’s Top 20, 2015:

- Intel: $11.5 Billion
- Google: $9.8 Billion
- Cisco Systems: $6.3 Billion
- Apple: $6.0 Billion

+ Greater Boston:
None

Innovation 1000 Study | Innovators and spenders | PwC’s Strategy&

Top 50 Global Pharmaceutical companies by Prescription Sales, 2015:

- Gilead Sciences: $32.15 Billion

+ Greater Boston:
- Biogen: $9.19 Billion

Top 50 Global Pharmaceutical companies by Research and Development Spending (R&D), 2015:

- Gilead Sciences: $3.02 Billion

+ Greater Boston:
- Biogen: $2.01 Billion

• Top pharma companies by Rx sales and R&D spending 2015 | Statistic

Old 08-21-2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
What would you have us do exactly?
Allow the free market to dictate what remains and what gets knocked down. Allow development and developers to build to their capacity without the stringent opposition from NIMBYs and the like. NIMBYism has a positive purpose on some occasions, keeping urban blight and questionable facilities out of desired areas but from my viewpoint with American cities, it serves as an impediment to the evolving urban fabric of the city by keeping it limited in size and scope or delaying rapid infill. Cities with strict zoning and restrictive ordinances already have put forth their requirements to developers on how to design their infill, if they meet those requirements, then it is fair game and it should be allowed to get built without the NIMBY opposition that often comes with it. That's how the free market should work.

Toronto and Sydney are able to do what they do by burying the opposition, I can't speak for Toronto but in Sydney's case it is done at the city government level. This is why both are enlarging their cores, becoming more structurally dense, and increasing their respective core densities at much more rapid pace than any American city currently.

As soon as Sydney came to realize that its lack of supply in housing is putting stress on renters in the city and keeping a larger number people out and unable to enter, it started giving more leeway to residential developers. Some in Sydney still oppose development but have increasingly become much more powerless to do much about it. The city's track record in the last 5-6 years is a complete 180 of what it had been the 30 years prior to that.

These metropolises are more or less "in the same size range" as Boston in the present or maybe just a smidgen to decent bit larger, but if you come back and revisit the topic in just 10 years from now, it'll feel different, they'll feel a pretty good bit larger.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 08-21-2016 at 04:52 PM..

Old 08-21-2016, 05:28 PM

411 posts, read 719,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Allow the free market to dictate what remains and what gets knocked down. Allow development and developers to build to their capacity without the stringent opposition from NIMBYs and the like. NIMBYism has a positive purpose on some occasions, keeping urban blight and questionable facilities out of desired areas but from my viewpoint with American cities, it serves as an impediment to the evolving urban fabric of the city by keeping it limited in size and scope or delaying rapid infill. Cities with strict zoning and restrictive ordinances already have put forth their requirements to developers on how to design their infill, if they meet those requirements, then it is fair game and it should be allowed to get built without the NIMBY opposition that often comes with it. That's how the free market should work.

Toronto and Sydney are able to do what they do by burying the opposition, I can't speak for Toronto but in Sydney's case it is done at the city government level. This is why both are enlarging their cores, becoming more structurally dense, and increasing their respective core densities at much more rapid pace than any American city currently.

As soon as Sydney came to realize that its lack of supply in housing is putting stress on renters in the city and keeping a larger number people out and unable to enter, it started giving more leeway to residential developers. Some in Sydney still oppose development but have increasingly become much more powerless to do much about it. The city's track record in the last 5-6 years is a complete 180 of what it had been the 30 years prior to that.

These metropolises are more or less "in the same size range" as Boston in the present or maybe just a smidgen to decent bit larger, but if you come back and revisit the topic in just 10 years from now, it'll feel different, they'll feel a pretty good bit larger.
NIMBYism is far worse in the Bay Area than any other major US city. If SF has been growing faster than Boston, it's only because the underlying pressure for change/growth is tremendous. Without NIMBYism here, we'd easily see another 100k housing units (housing 200k residents) built within the next decade

Old 08-21-2016, 07:03 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Not bad...

Top 15 US Colleges by Medals Earned,
Rio 2016 Summer Olympics

Stanford 25
UC Berkeley 19

USC 18
Florida 13
Texas 11
Georgia 10
UCLA 9
Indiana 7
Penn State 7
UConn 6
Oregon 6
West Virginia 6
Arkansas 5
Tennessee 5
Washington 5

Rio Olympics: Which college won the most medals?

Old 08-21-2016, 10:22 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,567,370 times
k-12 education and median home values ?

open source contributions (bsd vs. gpl) ?

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 08-21-2016 at 10:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City