Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: .
Atlanta 56 27.32%
Denver 36 17.56%
Houston 53 25.85%
Philly 60 29.27%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 10:24 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I'm familiar with both cities and it's absolutely not more "crowded and bustling". Downtown Houston is pretty dead and Houston really has no other dense urban neighborhoods other than Downtown and a very small part of Midtown.
You're not familiar with Houston. It shows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 12:18 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I mean unless there are crowding and bustling neighborhoods outside of the urban core of Houston, then that really doesn't matter to be honest.
It doesn't matter to you. It makes quite the difference to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
You're not familiar with Houston. It shows.
I would have to agree.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:58 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
It doesn't matter to you. It makes quite the difference to me.
Not that I've been to every Sunbelt city, but none that I'm familiar with truly have crowded and bustling neighborhoods on the outskirts like you find within the core of the city proper--not even older cities like Charleston and Savannah. Is Houston an exception here? It's a genuine inquiry. I could see it in theory since it has enormous city limits.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:20 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Haha, Viral is that you?

It's okay I just got a message couple minutes ago that I will be banned in a couple of hours. Can't wait!
a LOL...

Old 08-30-2016, 12:00 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,926,301 times
Philly>Denver>Houston>Atlanta: Philly and Denver have great downtowns, lots of energy, All sport teams and walkable

Old 08-30-2016, 03:39 AM

1,462 posts, read 1,429,621 times
Which city do you prefer?

Weather-ATL,HOU,DEN,PHL
Public Transportation-PHL,ATL,HOU,DEN
Nightlife-ATL,PHL,HOU,DEN
Activities-ATL,PHL,HOU,DEN
Cultural amenities -PHL,HOU,ATL,DEN
culture-PHL,ATL,HOU,DEN
economy-HOU,ATL,DEN,PHL
Downtown-PHL,DEN=ATL,HOU
Surrounding nature-DEN,ATL,PHL,HOU

Last edited by Othello Is Here; 08-30-2016 at 03:57 AM..

Old 08-30-2016, 08:38 AM

574 posts, read 689,634 times
Philly
Atlanta
Houston
Denver

Old 08-30-2016, 01:16 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,518,049 times
Quote:
you can walk to more highly rated places but how often does the average person go to these places?Remember we talking about living not VISITING in which case Philly in mind would be closer to winning if not winning..
Most of Philly is not walking distance to "highly rated places."

I dont like Miami but you are delusional of you think Philly is building more or that its any way more pleasant than what being built in Atlanta as far as cityscape.
No offense, but you seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of who is actually moving to cities and where they move to. The average person that is moving to and living in Philadelphia is living in the greater DT area or areas adjacent to it. In which case, it is available to the average person.

Also just rereading the OP, I have no idea why you said "remember we are talking about living not VISITING" he was pretty vague. To act like Atlanta doesn't have its share of problems is interesting too.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:02 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,429,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
No offense, but you seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of who is actually moving to cities and where they move to. The average person that is moving to and living in Philadelphia is living in the greater DT area or areas adjacent to it. In which case, it is available to the average person.

Also just rereading the OP, I have no idea why you said "remember we are talking about living not VISITING" he was pretty vague. To act like Atlanta doesn't have its share of problems is interesting too.
Im sorry but where did I "act like Atlanta does not have its share of problems"?I just made comments about Philly because you did.Feel free to address Atlanta's problems if you like.All cities have them.

I understand very well.Philly is doing well now and is going to get better but the flaws Atlanta have are not as consequential as Philly's.
There is NO WHERE in Atlanta where blight is in places like North Philly, or even Kennsington ,Germantown or other Philly neighborhoods.

Ill say this: What Philly has that is good is better than what Atlanta has.Such as a larger most vast urban fabric,cultural amenities,and educational institutions.
However Philly's negatives are overwhelmingly more to overcome :
1)The highest poverty rate of any major big city in America.
2)Blight,Housing
3)Competitive edge

Philly ranks low and behind many cities like Houston,Dallas,Atlanta constantly when it comes to number 3.Its working on it but it lost so much ground.I have no doubt Philly has potential to get to where Boston is,but its nowhere there yet.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:30 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,518,049 times
^"highest poverty rate of any major city" so Baltimore, Detroit, etc aren't major cities? When people say that, it literally refers to the 10 biggest, which really aren't many of the city's post industrial peers. Poverty shouldn't even be measured unless you hate poor people. Violent crime rate is probably more important to most, which ATL has a higher rate than Philly.

"Competitive edge" literally just refers to taxes too. Which is important, but doesn't mean a better city. Especially considering the OPs request.

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 08-30-2016 at 02:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City