Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: .
Atlanta 56 27.32%
Denver 36 17.56%
Houston 53 25.85%
Philly 60 29.27%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 04:37 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,427,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
^"highest poverty rate of any major city" so Baltimore, Detroit, etc aren't major cities? When people say that, it literally refers to the 10 biggest, which really aren't many of the city's post industrial peers. Poverty shouldn't even be measured unless you hate poor people. Violent crime rate is probably more important to most, which ATL has a higher rate than Philly.

"Competitive edge" literally just refers to taxes too. Which is important, but doesn't mean a better city. Especially considering the OPs request.
Poverty rate of course matters.Philly is the largest city which is what I meant by biggest.
Poverty rate lets you know the quality of the jobs being offered and its economy.Its not the only measurement but it matters a lot.

Philly has crime all around and inside.Chester,Camden,Wilmington are fairly large cities in there own right all in its CSA which skews things.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not ok
No city in Atlanta metro as cambden

Yes Atlanta proper has high crime rate that has dropped significantly and the cities phenomenal growth is a sign that its not the issue it once was but still needs work.

Philly's is a very provincial city like Boston.Its an asset as well as a liability because it turns new comers off.Boston again is an example but Boston does not have the negatives Philly has.

No its still very suggestive but there are facts also.
Here is a list by Harris Poll of cities "people want to live in".Philly no where but Atlanta is in the top 10.
Health & Life - The Beach Beckons: Florida, California, Hawaii Top States Where Americans Want to Live

Last edited by Yac; 09-09-2016 at 06:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 05:50 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post
Poverty rate of course matters.Philly is the largest city which is what I meant by biggest.

Poverty rate lets you know the quality of the jobs being offered and its economy.Its not the only measurement but it matters a lot.
That's actually not what it means at all. In reality, old industrial cities in the US offer a clear picture of the radical inequality that exists in the country, and how it often sadly runs along racial lines. PA's poverty level is 13% while GA's is near topping the country at 18.4%. Does that speak to the quality of jobs being offered? Considering the fact that the majority of "good" jobs in the state are in or around Philadelphia? In fact, one of Philadelphia's biggest problem, is a lack of manufacturing jobs and a lack of qualified workers. It is far from being a "quality of the jobs" problem.

Quote:
Philly has crime all around and inside.Chester,Camden,Wilmington are fairly large cities in there own right all in its CSA which skews things.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not ok
No city in Atlanta metro as cambden
Skews things? Philly is already 134 sq miles of extremely urban neighborhoods.

Quote:
Yes Atlanta proper has a higher violent crime rate than the city of Philadelphia, but has dropped significantly and the cities phenomenal growth is a sign that its not the issue it once was but still needs work.
FTFY

Quote:
Philly's is a very provincial city like Boston.Its an asset as well as a liability because it turns new comers off.Boston again is an example but Boston does not have the negatives Philly has.
what does this even mean?

Quote:
Here is a list by Harris Poll of cities "people want to live in".Philly no where but Atlanta is in the top 10.
Health & Life - The Beach Beckons: Florida, California, Hawaii Top States Where Americans Want to Live
ATL is a media darling. Why? Costs to businesses. It cheaper to set up shop in Atl than Philly. Atlanta and other New South places are a drain on NE cities. No unions, means paying workers less which in turn keeps COL low. And that's okay. Business will always keep moving to be competitive, that is why you always need to innovate. Philadelphia wants to emulate SF and Boston economically, not Atlanta. The city of Philadelphia has a ton of baggage that can only be compared to Chicago and NYC. It is headed in the right direction, but in past decades, it has performed somewhere in between Detroit and NYC.

Imo, as the harris poll suggests, philly needs to get the word out. It is an awesome super walkable city that is full of unique local shops, museums, art, companies, and an excellent food city.

It has massive plans for the future: SOM | Philadelphia 30th Street Station District Plan

Attracts really awesome exhibits: 'Jurassic World: The Exhibition' is coming to the U.S.

Attracts really amazing artists and musicians: The best graffiti across all of America | New York Post

This Parisian duo moved to Fishtown relatively recently and released a really great EP called "Seven Days" recalling the events of the terror attacks last Nov in Paris.
Watch The Nostalgic New Video For The Dove & The Wolf's "The Smell Of Us"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0UpXgB12Rg

Even though it is already very walkable, it is improving it's walkscore more than anyother city in the US.
https://www.redfin.com/blog/2016/08/...g-the-way.html

People are finding out though. It's good. but you still get a lot of threads like this on the internet: https://www.reddit.com/r/philadelphi...r_city_philly/

Last edited by Yac; 09-09-2016 at 06:38 AM..

Old 08-30-2016, 07:56 PM

Quote:
That's actually not what it means at all. In reality, old industrial cities in the US offer a clear picture of the radical inequality that exists in the country, and how it often sadly runs along racial lines. PA's poverty level is 13% while GA's is near topping the country at 18.4%. Does that speak to the quality of jobs being offered? Considering the fact that the majority of "good" jobs in the state are in or around Philadelphia? In fact, one of Philadelphia's biggest problem, is a lack of manufacturing jobs and a lack of qualified workers. It is far from being a "quality of the jobs" problem.
You keep looking for an argument where there is none.
Actually YES.Georgia has low quality jobs overall.That one of the reasons the poverty rate is higher in the sate.High tech companies are not flocking to any Southern State like they are Massachusetts,California or Washington State.

Skews things? Philly is already 134 sq miles of extremely urban neighborhoods.
I did mention "CSA and Metros".

FTFY

what does this even mean? I lived in Raleigh for two years, so I do kind of know what it means. It's something for people live in the south to say about far away places to make them feel better about themselves. It's the Donald Trump mentality. Repeat something so many times, it truly convinces you that that has to be the truth. What if.. all humans were different? What if, Philadelphia is the more sophisticated city in reality?
You make assumptions.Ive lived in Deleware and many other places so you cant tell me Philly has does not have a strong native population.
Raleigh is Raleigh just like DC is DC,not Philly,
Atlanta is a big transplant city like D.C.,Houston,Miami,Dallas,etc.

I have no argument if you think Philly is more sophisicated.An argument could be made for all theses cities accept Denver IMO.

ATL is a media darling. Why? Costs to businesses. It cheaper to set up shop in Atl than Philly. Atlanta and other New South places are a drain on NE cities. No unions, means paying workers less which in turn keeps COL low. And that's okay. Business will always keep moving to be competitive, that is why you always need to innovate. Philadelphia wants to emulate SF and Boston economically, not Atlanta. The city of Philadelphia has a ton of baggage that can only be compared to Chicago and NYC. It is headed in the right direction, but in past decades, it has performed somewhere in between Detroit and NYC.

Ummm...One word.BOSTON. Boston innovates,creates business,retains them.DC also is booming with and is becoming more than just a political town.These cities and more are not loosing ANYTHING to the South,Philly is because its not competitive,Many of these cities are among the most competitive cities
Every city in the South is not Atlanta,Houston, Dallas or even Charlotte.Just look at Birmingham,Memphis.
Say what you want but any city not Dallas or Houston and the higher economies would LOVE to have Atlanta economy.
Why do many of you think the South has to "steal" companies?Atlanta biggest companies like CocaCola,Delta,Home Depot are all Atlanta grown companies yet why dis Scientific Atlanta get bought by Cisco.TBS by Time Warner etc.

No Unions which is a myth as we do have them.Learn before you speak.Georgia is a right to work state.Unions are optional.What works in NY or Vermont is not going to work in Georgia. SUch and tired and outdated excuse that has no bearing what so ever.Otherwise EVERY coun
In fact Atlanta is the regional capitol for many of these unions in the region so please stop the nonsense.
COL of living is not much different in Chicago than Atlanta but Chicago is a union town.
KY,NM,MO are all forced Union states so why is COL so low there?
There are many Right to Work states across the U.S. Like the Dakota,Michigan,Wisconsin etc..Not just the South so your points are invalid.
Also You know weather also plays a major role.

Imo, as the harris poll suggests, philly needs to get the word out. It is an awesome super walkable city that is full of unique local shops, museums, art, companies, and an excellent food city.

It has massive plans for the future: SOM | Philadelphia 30th Street Station District Plan

Attracts really awesome exhibits: 'Jurassic World: The Exhibition' is coming to the U.S.

Attracts really amazing artists and musicians: The best graffiti across all of America | New York Post

This Parisian duo moved to Fishtown relatively recently and released a really great EP called "Seven Days" recalling the events of the terror attacks last Nov in Paris.
Watch The Nostalgic New Video For The Dove & The Wolf's "The Smell Of Us"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0UpXgB12Rg

Even though it is already very walkable, it is improving it's walkscore more than anyother city in the US.
https://www.redfin.com/blog/2016/08/...g-the-way.html

People are finding out though. It's good. but you still get a lot of threads like this on the internet: https://www.reddit.com/r/philadelphi...r_city_philly/
Things is life does not begin and end in Center city.Philly has many parts still in serious decay.Why doo you keep glossing over this as if it does not exist.

I know Philly better than most who are not from there as I have many family members there.I was just there a month ago and wil be back in

Excuse the mistakes as I know they are several ,but my air conditioner just went out today and wont be fixed till hopefully tomorrow.I cant sleep its so hot.

Last edited by Othello Is Here; 08-30-2016 at 08:08 PM..

Old 08-30-2016, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Things is life does not begin and end in Center city.Philly has many parts still in serious decay.Why doo you keep glossing over this as if it does not exist.
Glossing over it? Okay. Forgot I can't talk my city up. You can bash it for being "Poor" but me mentioning the fact that Atlanta has even worse crime problem in the city and metro is too much. North Philly sucks, but I don't ever go there. A lot of lower north philly is gentrified and the bubble is only growing larger. University City generates just as many jobs as anywhere in Atlanta. South Philly has a dozen neighborhoods you can live comfortably in. The NW is the nicest part of the city if that's what you care about. The NE is the middle class haven. Philly is multiple times denser in every section compared to Atlanta.

Quote:
I know Philly better than most who are not from there as I have many family members there.I was just there a month ago and wil be back in
Cool, that makes you as knowledgable as me? what did I say that was wrong? I am sorry I legit think Philly blows Atlanta out of the water in terms of the OP's criteria. I guess if you were looking for clubbing or strip clubs I would without a doubt pick Atlanta, but that's about it for me.

AND buddy, if you say I am looking for an arguement, you straight up quoted me from a dead thread from pages ago and came out saying "Philly is the poorest city" . Was it me or you?

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 08-30-2016 at 08:15 PM..

Old 08-30-2016, 08:59 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,904 times
Quote:
Philadlephias Poverty stats are going to be skewed greatly in this Top 10 ranking. Its significantly smaller in land area. If Philadlephia had the vast city boundaries of Houston,LA or San Antonio it would encompass all the adjacent wealthy, low crime, highy functional suburbs. Its poverty + crime rate stats would plummet.

Its not rocket science . Its not a coincidence that the 2 cities with the highest poverty rate are also the 2 smallest area wise of the group Phil+ Chi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otheel Is Here
No they are not large . They are tiny cities. Chester is 6 sq mi, Camden 10 sq mi, Wilmington 16 sq mi and the high crime in those cities is probably relegated to a 1/3 of their respective cities.

In contrast Lower Merion Township which right on the border of Philadlephia is 30 sq miles and is one of the safest towns in the USA. Unlike other larger top 10 cities Lower Merion doesnt get a chance to knock down the poverty rate of small scaled, highly dense Philadlephia.

Cherry-picking 3 tiny cities out of a wealthy suburban area of nearly 500 sq miles is absurd.

Last edited by rainrock; 08-30-2016 at 09:32 PM..

Old 08-30-2016, 09:10 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,904 times
Top 10 Most Populated Cities

1.NYC- 305 sq mi
2.LA -503 sq mi
3. Chi- 234 sq mi
4. Hou-627 sq mi
5 Phila 135 sq mi
6.Phox 517 sq mi
7 SA 465 sq mi
8. SD 373 sq mi
9. Dall 390 sq mi
10,SJ

Old 08-30-2016, 09:20 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,798,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intheclouds1 View Post
Which city do you prefer?

Weather - Denver
Public Transportation - Philly
Nightlife - Philly
Activities - Philly/Denver
Cultural amenities - Philly
culture - Philly
economy - Houston/Atlanta
Downtown - Philly
Surrounding nature - Denver
ect.
I'd rank the cities like this:

1. Philadelphia
2. Denver
3. Atlanta
4. Houston

Old 08-30-2016, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Glossing over it? Okay. Forgot I can't talk my city up. You can bash it for being "Poor" but me mentioning the fact that Atlanta has even worse crime problem in the city and metro is too much. North Philly sucks, but I don't ever go there. A lot of lower north philly is gentrified and the bubble is only growing larger. University City generates just as many jobs as anywhere in Atlanta. South Philly has a dozen neighborhoods you can live comfortably in. The NW is the nicest part of the city if that's what you care about. The NE is the middle class haven. Philly is multiple times denser in every section compared to Atlanta.

Cool, that makes you as knowledgable as me? what did I say that was wrong? I am sorry I legit think Philly blows Atlanta out of the water in terms of the OP's criteria. I guess if you were looking for clubbing or strip clubs I would without a doubt pick Atlanta, but that's about it for me.

AND buddy, if you say I am looking for an arguement, you straight up quoted me from a dead thread from pages ago and came out saying "Philly is the poorest city" . Was it me or you?
You are not able to take criticism.In fact I agreed with mush of what you said about Atlanta.
Ive hardly "bashed Philly" and only stated truths.If I lied please tell me.Why you so upset?
You are so defensive.What do you want?I said Phillys urban fabric is far better and even said I had no problem with Philly being considered more sophisticated as I could see the arguments for or against.
It was YOU that made the statements that pretty much stated other cities in this poll had nothing to offer.

I not once said I knew more than you but YOU said multiple things that were assumptions about people in the South or somehow because you lived in Raleigh you know what Atlanta is like.
You had no idea about my background but have made several remarks while I have only delt with what you have said.
My family moved to Philly in the 1900's from Georgia while half stayed back.Guessing,more than 50% ofmy Philly family have grandchildren who have their own kids today have moved back to Georgia or particularly Atlanta.
None in Georgia have EVER moved back to Philly accept one after livng in Atlanta in 97=99.It was too slow then for her.
As far as your clubbing on strip cub remark,lets not be ignorant.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Philadlephias Poverty stats are going to be skewed greatly in this Top 10 ranking. Its significantly smaller in land area. If Philadlephia had the vast city boundaries of Houston,LA or San Antonio it would encompass all the adjacent wealthy, low crime, highy functional suburbs. Its poverty + crime rate stats would plummet.
Really?So no Chester,Camden or Wilmington with their very high crime rates.

Its not rocket science . Its not a coincidence that the 2 cities with the highest poverty rate are also the 2 smallest area wise of the group Phil+ Chi.

No they are not large . They are tiny cities. Chester is 6 sq mi, Camden 10 sq mi, Wilmington 16 sq mi and the high crime in those cities is probably relegated to a 1/3 of their respective cities.
OMG. Population wise they are large suburban cities.

In contrast Lower Merion Township which right on the border of Philadlephia is 30 sq miles and is one of the safest towns in the USA. Unlike other larger top 10 cities Lower Merion doesnt get a chance to knock down the poverty rate of small scaled, highly dense Philadlephia.

Cherry-picking 3 tiny cities out of a wealthy suburban area of nearly 500 sq miles is absurd.
You mean how you just did?lol

Old 08-30-2016, 10:49 PM

Quote:
You are not able to take criticism.In fact I agreed with mush of what you said about Atlanta.
Ive hardly "bashed Philly" and only stated truths.If I lied please tell me.Why you so upset?
You are so defensive.What do you want?I said Phillys urban fabric is far better and even said I had no problem with Philly being considered more sophisticated as I could see the arguments for or against.
It was YOU that made the statements that pretty much stated other cities in this poll had nothing to offer.

I not once said I knew more than you but YOU said multiple things that were assumptions about people in the South or somehow because you lived in Raleigh you know what Atlanta is like.
That's nice, but just to end this conversation and fully explain my responses: you do realize that I wrote that original statement in comparison to each cities Downtowns? That is what this thread was about Hence why, I didn't really get why you responded by "most people can't walk to places that are highly rated". The other statement you seem to get caught up by is the Union statement. And no offense, but if you don't believe that Unions are way more powerful in Philly than Atlanta, we will just have to agree to disagree. In terms of sophistication, you literally said "Philly is provincial in a bad way". Provincial literally means being a narrow minded, dumb, small town mentality. Hence why I responded by saying that Philadelphia might just be more sophisticated than Atlanta. Meaning the opposite of Provincial.

Also don't take my writing style so seriously. I come off aggressive on here because it is a subforum dedicated to arguing. I like to win because I think I am right Also writing is a hobby of mine, so it's actually entertaining for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City