Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Richmond, VA versus Cincinnati OH
Richmond, VA 66 46.15%
Cincinnati 77 53.85%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 11:31 AM

1,020 posts, read 909,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
What are the chances of Richmond getting better mass transit? From the looks of it, a connection between the Staple Mills station, once you TOD the **** out of it, to downtown Richmond and beyond would be pretty sensible.
Staples Mill Amtrak station? Right now you can catch a 3 min bus(rt18) to the Staples Mill Pulse BRT station to Downtown. It's a slow process but opening the BRT last year was a step in the right direction. I think that there has been some reluctance to focus mainly on the Staples Mill Amtrak station because the city is still flirting with the idea of putting money into the much-needed expansion of Main Street station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 08:20 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,019,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
...I can see several of its big corporations getting in trouble with increased squeeze from Bezos...call me craxy but companies like Macy's Kroger, and P&G in Cincy will all start feeling heat soon. At the same time, Richmond has NOTHING like these massive fortune 100 giants.
Your observations regarding Kroger, P&G and Macy's are on the mark, but it must be mentioned that these three retail powerhouses have been playing ball with Bezos for years; although none of them are impregnable fortresses impervious to "His Almighty Will," they're adopting strategies to counter more than Amazon's disruption of traditional bricks and mortar store operations. All of American business is being inundated by a tsunami of AI, robotics, Chinese hegemony and other Asian interests that are affecting CEO discussions in every boardroom across the nation, including Richmond. Perhaps this is a too broad and far-reaching topic to be discussed at length here.

Old 07-15-2019, 11:46 AM

48 posts, read 76,916 times
Default what do you love about Richmond VA (specifically)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
I prefer Richmond,VA but hey thats just me
-WT
I'd like to hear your thoughts on Richmond. You have or now lived there? I'm looking to leave the south (Florida). It's not for me. I also would prefer not to deal with harsh winters again but....as a NYer, born & raised on LI, the south is too much of a culture change for me. Too slow, too hot, too conservative, too "backwards" from northeast perspective. Others love it....which is great I'll be selling my house once I know where to go. (yes, I'll visit first, many times)

I'm open to all thoughts and opinions on Richmond.

Richmond has art studios I would join to meet people.
RE looks to be reasonable. (areas to avoid? No children so schools aren't an issue but resale value is always a consideration)
Hope to find some volunteer work to put my education and skills to work and keep my brain somewhat engaged.
Universities? for continuing ed, concerts, presenters open to the community. that sort of thing?
How liberal politically (or not) is Richmond. (Florida way way way too conservative for me)

I'm just starting to look so I don't know much at all. And why I'm asking here. THANKS.

RICHMOND
what you love?
what you hate?

Old 07-15-2019, 02:20 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sslainey View Post
I'd like to hear your thoughts on Richmond. You have or now lived there? I'm looking to leave the south (Florida). It's not for me. I also would prefer not to deal with harsh winters again but....as a NYer, born & raised on LI, the south is too much of a culture change for me. Too slow, too hot, too conservative, too "backwards" from northeast perspective. Others love it....which is great I'll be selling my house once I know where to go. (yes, I'll visit first, many times)

I'm open to all thoughts and opinions on Richmond.

Richmond has art studios I would join to meet people.
RE looks to be reasonable. (areas to avoid? No children so schools aren't an issue but resale value is always a consideration)
Hope to find some volunteer work to put my education and skills to work and keep my brain somewhat engaged.
Universities? for continuing ed, concerts, presenters open to the community. that sort of thing?
How liberal politically (or not) is Richmond. (Florida way way way too conservative for me)

I'm just starting to look so I don't know much at all. And why I'm asking here. THANKS.

RICHMOND
what you love?
what you hate?
Richmond love: It is close to DC
Richmond cons: Confederate culture honored, small town feeling, crime ridden run down areas persist, better cities to choose from in the region.

Old 07-15-2019, 04:44 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Richmond cons: Confederate culture honored, small town feeling, crime ridden run down areas persist, better cities to choose from in the region.
Regarding the "Confederate Culture," I did not see that from dealings with my coworkers (they were mostly other transplants and we always hung out in the DC area mostly).

Old 07-15-2019, 07:29 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Who from Richmond severely abused your beloved pet? Like, you really hate that place.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:19 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,681,950 times
Richmond is almost perfect.
It’s very liberal in the city. The suburbs are center left to center. Exurbs are center right.

It’s home to the premier art museum in the South (CD idea of South)

Virginia Commonwealth University (32k students) is downtown. Also in the city is University of Richmond and Virginia Union University. VCU has the top ranked arts program of all public universities (5th among public and private). So there are lots of artists and art enthusiasts in the metro.

Richmond is a top tier beer city and is within striking distance of becoming a top tier foodie city.

The built environment is lovely. It’s attractive and walkable (very big, contiguous urban landscape)

The confederacy is in no way honored here. The monuments still exist (and won’t be going anywhere) but the city divested in them around 1991. They’ve been maintained and managed by private funds since then. They aren’t on public land. The museum of the confederacy hired the woman who brought the slave market exhibit to Colonial Williamsburg. It was the first attempt by any museum in the country to tell the story of enslaved Americans. She joined the museum’s collection with the national civil war museum (also here in Richmond) which teaches about the war from the North, South and domestic (enslaved Americans, women) perspectives. There’s a Lincoln monument in town too.
This new 30 feet monument will change the conversation even more.

https://www.richmond.com/entertainme...6fde4532e.html

The natural setting is embarrassingly rich too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_7QRT0-MOQ

The location is superb. It’s just under 2 hours to DC, right around 4 to Philadelphia and 6 to New York City. Beaches and mountains are close.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:13 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Richmond is almost perfect.
It’s very liberal in the city. The suburbs are center left to center. Exurbs are center right.

It’s home to the premier art museum in the South (CD idea of South)

Virginia Commonwealth University (32k students) is downtown. Also in the city is University of Richmond and Virginia Union University. VCU has the top ranked arts program of all public universities (5th among public and private). So there are lots of artists and art enthusiasts in the metro.

Richmond is a top tier beer city and is within striking distance of becoming a top tier foodie city.

The built environment is lovely. It’s attractive and walkable (very big, contiguous urban landscape)

The confederacy is in no way honored here. The monuments still exist (and won’t be going anywhere) but the city divested in them around 1991. They’ve been maintained and managed by private funds since then. They aren’t on public land. The museum of the confederacy hired the woman who brought the slave market exhibit to Colonial Williamsburg. It was the first attempt by any museum in the country to tell the story of enslaved Americans. She joined the museum’s collection with the national civil war museum (also here in Richmond) which teaches about the war from the North, South and domestic (enslaved Americans, women) perspectives. There’s a Lincoln monument in town too.
This new 30 feet monument will change the conversation even more.

https://www.richmond.com/entertainme...6fde4532e.html

The natural setting is embarrassingly rich too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_7QRT0-MOQ

The location is superb. It’s just under 2 hours to DC, right around 4 to Philadelphia and 6 to New York City. Beaches and mountains are close.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=93yLhCBtbTI

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Aiy_8NbJRGA

https://www.visitrichmondva.com/list...nfederacy/891/

https://hqudc.org/

Old 07-15-2019, 10:17 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,691,596 times
That's not the norm or what you would encounter on a normal day. The city is pretty liberal and left leaning but surrounded by alot of conservative/red.

Keep in mind that VA is overall a Blue state now so instances like the videos you are showing are becoming rare. Your home state of TN is more reminiscent of what you're trying to portray.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:23 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,619,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
That's not the norm or what you would encounter on a normal day. The city is pretty liberal and left leaning but surrounded by alot of conservative/red.

Keep in mind that VA is overall a Blue state now so instances like the videos you are showing are becoming rare. Your home state of TN is more reminiscent of what you're trying to portray.
People have told her this for years. For some reason she still thinks she knows the city better than its locals. I'm convinced a suave brother from Richmond broke her heart before...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City