Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 11:25 AM

2,419 posts, read 4,725,521 times

Advertisements

By urban core I don't necessarily mean just downtown, I mean the greater metropolitan core in general(downtown+adjacent neighborhoods). The criteria I took into consideration was size(commercial and residential), infrastructure, architecture, education, and global recognition.

lmo.
NYC
SF
Chicago
Toronto
Philadelphia

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 11:27 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
New York City, Toronto, Mexico City, Vancouver, San Francisco

Old 08-24-2016, 11:30 AM

591 posts, read 821,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
New York City, Toronto, Mexico City, Vancouver, San Francisco
Replace Vancouver with Chicago and that's a solid list

Old 08-24-2016, 11:33 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,765,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
By urban core I don't necessarily mean just downtown, I mean the greater metropolitan core in general(downtown+adjacent neighborhoods). The criteria I took into consideration was size(commercial and residential), infrastructure, architecture, education, and global recognition.

lmo.
NYC
SF
Chicago
Toronto
Philadelphia

Thoughts?
When you say size, do you mean height of buildings?

At what height of building's would the core end?

Also, what kind of structures can be included? Highrise's? Rowhouse's? Single Family Homes?

What is the criteria for continuity? Can there be breaks? (e.g. cross rivers? highrise neighborhoods to rowhouse neighborhoods back to highrise neighborhoods?)

Old 08-24-2016, 11:36 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,970,037 times
Cities listed are listed in order (in my opinion).

United States:
- New York
- Chicago
- Philadelphia
- San Francisco
- Los Angeles

Mexico:
- Mexico City
- Puebla
- Guadalajara
- Monterrey

Canada:
- Montreal
- Toronto
- Vancouver
- Calgary

Overall North America:
- New York
- Mexico City
- Montreal
- Chicago
- Toronto

Old 08-24-2016, 11:39 AM

431 posts, read 522,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
Cities listed are listed in order (in my opinion).

United States:
- New York
- Chicago
- Philadelphia
- San Francisco
- Los Angeles

Mexico:
- Mexico City
- Puebla
- Guadalajara
- Monterrey

Canada:
- Montreal
- Toronto
- Vancouver
- Calgary

Overall North America:
- New York
- Mexico City
- Montreal
- Chicago
- Toronto
Montreal over Philly?

Old 08-24-2016, 11:41 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,970,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intheclouds1 View Post
Montreal over Philly?
I was in Montreal the day before yesterday and in Philadelphia last week. Seen them both on this trip along with Boston, New York, Washington D.C., and currently I am in Toronto. Will be going to Chicago soon too.

Yes, Montreal is more vibrant and has what feels like slightly more peak high density zones in the central core of the city. After New York, it is the second most urban city, overall, in the United States and Canada, in my opinion. Most definitely the second most vibrant with regards to pedestrian activity, most definitely. I have Philadelphia pegged down as the #6 most urban city, overall, in all of North America and #5 when only comparing United States and Mexico.

Old 08-24-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
When you say size, do you mean height of buildings?

At what height of building's would the core end?

Also, what kind of structures can be included? Highrise's? Rowhouse's? Single Family Homes?

What is the criteria for continuity? Can there be breaks? (e.g. cross rivers? highrise neighborhoods to rowhouse neighborhoods back to highrise neighborhoods?)
I mean the aggregate of elite socio-economics and population density over an expanse, peak density, and daytime population/density. Also peak urban infrastructure over an expanse. I left out mexico. I do believe that Philly is debatable at number 5.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:00 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,765,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
I mean the aggregate of elite socio-economics and population density over an expanse, peak density, and daytime population/density. Also peak urban infrastructure over an expanse. I left out mexico. I do believe that Philly is debatable at number 5.
So only census tracts with very high income?

Do you want to just judge residential population density and daytime population density and not the built environment?

When you say urban infrastructure, what do you mean? Places with roads and sidewalks?

Do you care about zoning requirements meaning building setbacks and automobile infrastructure like driveways etc.?

I assume since the buildings don't matter, it can look and feel anyway as long as the population density is high correct?

With this criteria, here is my list below:

1. New York (Very high income, population density, highly educated, globally recognized)
2. Toronto (Very high income, population density, highly educated, globally recognized)
3. San Francisco (Very high income, population density, highly educated, globally recognized)
4. Washington D.C. (Very high income, population density, highly educated, globally recognized)
5. Boston (Very high income, population density, highly educated, globally recognized)

I would have included Mexico City, Chicago, and Philadelphia, however, based on your requirements, their income was considerably lower than these 5 cities even though their population density was higher than Boston and D.C and their education level was way lower also. They weren't recognized as highly globally either.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 08-24-2016 at 12:11 PM..

Old 08-24-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
So only census tracts with very high income?

Do you want to just judge residential population density and daytime population density and not the built environment?

When you say urban infrastructure, what do you mean? Places with roads and sidewalks?

Do you care about zoning requirements meaning building setbacks?
Urban cores largely do not include poor neighborhoods. Built environment and infrastructure go hand in hand. The entirety of the core does not have to be skyscrapers because of perserved neighborhoods and parks. By infrastructure I mean major transportation hubs that lend themselves to metropolitan levels of access, as well as roads and bridges. As for zoning it would mean areas with property values too high to waste land on things such as setbacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City