Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 12:52 PM

345 posts, read 530,831 times

Advertisements

I stay in Louisiana right now and I'm planning on relocating to one of these three cities soon. How do these three cities compare?

Economy/Growth

Shopping

Scenery/ Topography

Education

Weather

Sports

COL/QOL

Things to do

Nightlife

Old 08-24-2016, 01:19 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,418,793 times
Economy/Growth - Nashville, Austin, Memphis
Shopping - Austin, Nasvhille, Memphis
Scenery/Topography - Nashville, Austin, Memphis
Education - Nashville, Austin, Memphis
Weather - Austin, Memphis/Nashville
Sports - Nashville, Memphis, Austin
COL/QOL - Austin, Memphis, Nashville
Things to do - Nashville, Austin, Memphis
Nightlife - Austin, Nashville, Memphis

Old 08-24-2016, 01:24 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
Austin > Nashville > Memphis

Old 08-24-2016, 01:32 PM

1,733 posts, read 1,894,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funtraveler1 View Post
I stay in Louisiana right now and I'm planning on relocating to one of these three cities soon. How do these three cities compare?

Economy/Growth

Shopping

Scenery/ Topography

Education

Weather

Sports

COL/QOL

Things to do

Nightlife

Economy/Growth: 1 Nashville Some of the Strongest Growth in the Country, 2 Austin the Whole Texas thing going on, GDP Exploding, 3 Memphis Recently starting to pick up Major Projects going on throughout the city, But since Memphis and City Data are like Oil and Vinegar, Lot of people are going to Deny Memphis has any growth at all and are going to give you the Standard Memphis is the Pitts argument

Shopping: 1:Nashville 2 Memphis just got it's first cheesecake factory, First TN Ikea is Opening there in October, A New Mall just opened up in the Mississippi Suburbs and Memphis is finally getting a Nordstrom in 2017, about 20 years after other cities lol, So in Regards to Shopping Memphis is playing Catch Up. 3, cant really say any thing about Austin don't really hear much about Austin Shopping, Edge goes to Nashville it isn't playing catch up it already has everything

Scenery/ Topography NASHVILLE all day and Night, Gorgous Green Mountain looking Rolling Hills, Lakes the Cumberland River, If Nashville was on the Ocean it would be one of the Prettiest cities in the World, But even without the ocean Nashville Scenery is GORGOUS

Education Probably a tie between Austin and Nashville, Slight Edge to Austin because Texas" flagship University is in Austin where else Tennessee's Flagship School is in Knoxville

Weather: Tie/ Really doesn't matter they're too similar to really make a difference, Austin is going to be Hotter though

Sports :Nashville (Which just hosted the NHL all star game) unless your a Die Hard Grizzlies Fan, Austin Loses Big Time Here if you're into professional sports. It has NO team and is surrounded by 3 huge Metros (DFW HOUSTON, SAN ANTONIO) that Crowd out it's chances of EVER landing a Team in Any Sport, If College sports is your thing well that's a different story

COL/QOL Nashville is getting expensive but has a High Quality of Life Austin the Same, Memphis is the Cheapest

Things to do, Nashville and Memphis are PACKED with Things to Do. I don't know about Austin. With regards to Memphis you may get some hater that say all it is to do is Beale Street, yeah if this was 1990.

Nightlife: Tough One all three have night life's that can really compete against larger cities all 3 are better than a Houston or St Louis for example. Nashville DARE I SAY is geared more so to One Segment but is really fun but Austin and Memphis are more universal toward there night life

Old 08-24-2016, 02:01 PM

247 posts, read 336,506 times
Lived in Memphis and Nashville, visited Austin many times. I'd say Austin is the best of both worlds of Memphis and Nashville. Memphis is laid back, full of character, but high in crime. Nashville has a better job market, feels safer, but is very bland and generic.

While Austin clearly doesn't have the history Memphis does, it manages to feel like a big college town and still feel laid back despite the numerous transplants. I actually prefer the nightlife of Austin and Memphis to Nashville. It's just live music absolutely everywhere, which is not something I personally always want, especially given the genre. I feel like people go out in Nashville to be entertained, while they do so in the other cities to socialize. If you're looking for a cool dive bar in Nashville the options are much more limited.

As for QOL, it depends on what you want. Nashville is full of frustrated locals who hate all the transplants. Austin is much more welcoming, and far better to be single. Nashville seems to be popular for families, but it's way too expensive to recommend going in alone and many marry young there. I had many conversations with random people the few weeks I was in Austin, while it rarely happens in the years I've been in Nashville. Not very outgoing. Austin is very expensive as well, but your QOL would be better if you were single.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:02 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,964,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Economy/Growth - Nashville, Austin, Memphis
No.

Economy

Nominal Gross Domestic Product (GDP), 2014:
1. Greater Austin MSA: $115.262 Billion
2. Greater Nashville MSA: $106.695 Billion
3. Greater Memphis MSA: $69.882 Billion

Real Gross Domestic Product (GDP), 2014:
1. Greater Austin MSA: $106.704 Billion
2. Greater Nashville MSA: $98.467 Billion
3. Greater Memphis MSA: $63.611 Billion

Real Gross Domestic Product (GDP) Growth in from 2013 to 2014 (Percentages):
1. Greater Austin MSA: + 6.1%
2. Greater Nashville MSA: + 3.6%
3. Greater Memphis MSA: + 0.4%

http://bea.gov/newsreleases/regional..._metro0915.pdf

Job Growth in the last 12 months from June 2015 - June 2016 (Numerical):
1. Greater Austin: + 38,400
2. Greater Nashville: + 28,200
3. Greater Memphis: + 8,900

Job Growth in the last 12 from June 2015 - June 2016 months (Percentage):
1. Greater Austin MSA: + 4.0%
2. Greater Nashville MSA: + 3.1%
3. Greater Memphis MSA: + 1.4%

Table 3. Employees on nonfarm payrolls by state and metropolitan area

Unemployment Rate for Large Metropolitan Areas, June 2016:
1. Greater Austin MSA: 3.3%
2. Greater Nashville MSA: 4.0%
3. Greater Memphis MSA: 5.7%

Unemployment Rates for Large Metropolitan Areas

Growth:

Population Growth in City Proper from 2010-2015 (Numerical):
1. Austin: + 141,440
2. Nashville: + 53,382
3. Memphis: + 8,920

Population Growth in City Proper from 2010-2015 (Percentage):
1. Austin: + 17.89%
2. Nashville: + 8.88%
3. Memphis: + 1.37%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_population

Population Growth in Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) from 2010-2015 (Numerical):
1. Greater Austin MSA: + 284,571
2. Greater Nashville MSA: + 159,455
3. Greater Memphis MSA: + 19,298

Population Growth in Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) from 2010-2015 (Percentage):
1. Greater Austin MSA: + 16.58%
2. Greater Nashville MSA: + 9.54%
3. Greater Memphis MSA: + 1.46%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tistical_Areas
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Education - Nashville, Austin, Memphis
No.

Educational Attainment Level (High School Graduation Rate), 2014:
1. Greater Austin MSA: 88.90%
2. Greater Nashville MSA: 88.00%
3. Greater Memphis MSA: 86.30%

Educational Attainment Level (Bachelors Degree or higher), 2014:
1. Greater Austin MSA: 41.50%
2. Greater Nashville MSA: 32.10%
3. Greater Memphis MSA: 26.40%

American FactFinder - Results

Top Undergraduate Colleges & Universities in the World, 2016:
1. Greater Austin (#30: University of Texas -- Austin)
2. Greater Nashville (#74 Vanderbilt University)
3. Greater Memphis (None in the Top 100)

Top World University Rankings, p8 | US News Best Global Universities

Top 25 Graduate Schools for Business, 2016:
1. Greater Austin (#16: University of Texas -- Austin)
2. Greater Nashville (#22: Vanderbilt University)
3. Greater Memphis (None in the Top 25)

Best Business School Rankings | MBA Program Rankings | US News

Top 25 Graduate Schools for Engineering, 2016:
1. Greater Austin (#10: University of Texas -- Austin)
2. Greater Nashville (None in the Top 25)

Best Engineering School Rankings | Engineering Program Rankings | US News

Top 25 Graduate Schools for Pharmacy, 2016:
1. Greater Austin (#3: University of Texas -- Austin)

Search: Health Programs | US News

Top 25 Graduate Schools for Law, 2016:
1. Greater Austin (#15: University of Texas -- Austin)
2. Greater Nashville (#16: Vanderbilt University)

Best Law School Rankings | Law Program Rankings | US News

Top 25 Graduate Schools for Computer Science, 2016:
1. Greater Austin (#9: University of Texas -- Austin)

Search: Sciences Programs | US News

Top 25 Graduate Schools for Chemistry, 2016:
1. Greater Austin (#12: University of Texas -- Austin)

Top 25 Graduate Schools for Math, 2016:
1. Greater Austin (#14: University of Texas -- Austin)

Top 25 Graduate Schools for Physics, 2016:

Top 25 Graduate Schools for Political Science, 2016:
1. Greater Austin (#21: University of Texas -- Austin)

Search: Social Sciences Programs | US News

Top 25 Graduate Schools for History, 2016:
1. Greater Austin (#17: University of Texas -- Austin)

Top 25 Graduate Schools for Psychology, 2016:

Top 25 Graduate Schools for Sociology, 2016:

Top 25 Graduate Schools for English, 2016:
1. Greater Austin (#17: University of Texas -- Austin)

Top 25 Graduate Schools for Social Work, 2016:
1. Greater Austin (#7: University of Texas -- Austin)

Search: Health Programs | US News

Top 25 Graduate Schools for Fine Arts, 2016:
1. Greater Austin (#6: University of Texas -- Austin)

Search: Graduate Programs | US News

Top 25 Graduate Schools for Education, 2016:
1. Greater Nashville (#5: Vanderbilt University)
2. Greater Austin (#10: University of Texas -- Austin)

Best Education School Rankings | Education Program Rankings | US News

Top 25 Graduate Schools for Medical Research, 2016:
1. Greater Nashville (#15: Vanderbilt University)
2. Greater Austin (None in the Top 25)

Best Medical Schools | Research Rankings | Top Medical Schools for Research | US News Best Graduate Schools

Austin, both city and its suburbs, have among the best public school systems for a major American city in America (K-12). That's quite impressive actually and the students are among the most educated in the country. So it takes that too.

I don't think economy, growth, or education at any level is debatable honestly.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:08 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,877,527 times
Never been to Austin but if it's between Nashville and Memphis I would chose Nashville. I would never bad mouth a city because every city has its pro's and con's but Memphis is not my scene. I heard Austin is amazing and it's one of the fastest growing cities in the country but the cost of living is getting expensive in Austin from what I have heard. i have never been to Austin. They have close to a million people now in their city proper. I have heard Austin is similar to Nashville but only for the live music other than that Austin is a more liberal city from what I heard. Nashville is a nice mix of liberals and conservatives but most everyone is open minded the city is getting more and more diverse every year.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:14 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,518,151 times
1. Nashville, 2. Austin, 3. Memphis

Old 08-24-2016, 03:17 PM

97 posts, read 122,940 times
Economy/Growth: Nashville/Austin........Memphis. Nashville and Austin are both growing fast. Cranes are all over each city. Both have great, similar economies. Memphis is behind, but slowly coming up.

Shopping: Nashville, Austin, Memphis. Nashville has lots of malls. Don't know to much about Austin's shopping but doesn't seem like nothing special. Memphis is behind both these cities.

Scenery/ Topography: Nashville, Austin Memphis. Texas Hill country is nice, but the hills and lakes that Nashville have are much prettier than Austin's. Memphis has the Mississippi, that's it.

Education: Nashville, Austin, Memphis. Yes, Austin has UTA, but that's all that known. Nashville, known as the Athens of the South, is clocked full of colleges. Most popular one being Vanderbilt, one of the best universities in the county, probably best in the south (Duke and Vandy fighting for that spot) Did I mention it's an $EC school? However, for K-12, Austin beats Nashville. Memphis can't compete in this category.

Weather: Nashville, Memphis, Austin. Nashville and Memphis both have 4 seasons. Memphis gets too hot in the summer for me personally but still nice in the winter. Austin is nice in the winter but in the spring-summer, it's horrible..Lived here for awhile, everyday in summer has been 100+. Can't go outside for more than 30 seconds without sweating. The sunshine of Austin is nice tho.

Sports: Nashville, Memphis....... Austin. Nashville has NHL and NFL, and may be getting an MLS team. And like I said before, $EC school nearby. A Memphis has a great NBA team (makes the playoffs everywhere), and also has Tigers basketball and football. Austin just has Longhorn's sports.

COL/QOL: Nashville, Austin, memphis. Austin has great QOL, but it's getting wayyyyyy to expensive. Same for Nashville, but not as expensive yet. Memphis is cheap, but lacks QOL. Nashville has the best of the three.

Things to do: Austin/Nashville,Memphis. Austin and Nashville are full with stuff to do and both have yearly big festivals. Memphis doesn't slack either, but these 2 cities have more.

Nightlife: Tie. All three have streets well known (Broadway, Beale, 6th). I had fun with all three.

Tried to be non-bias as possible. Lived in all 3.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:28 PM

97 posts, read 122,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Economy/Growth: 1 Nashville Some of the Strongest Growth in the Country, 2 Austin the Whole Texas thing going on, GDP Exploding, 3 Memphis Recently starting to pick up Major Projects going on throughout the city, But since Memphis and City Data are like Oil and Vinegar, Lot of people are going to Deny Memphis has any growth at all and are going to give you the Standard Memphis is the Pitts argument

Shopping: 1:Nashville 2 Memphis just got it's first cheesecake factory, First TN Ikea is Opening there in October, A New Mall just opened up in the Mississippi Suburbs and Memphis is finally getting a Nordstrom in 2017, about 20 years after other cities lol, So in Regards to Shopping Memphis is playing Catch Up. 3, cant really say any thing about Austin don't really hear much about Austin Shopping, Edge goes to Nashville it isn't playing catch up it already has everything

Scenery/ Topography NASHVILLE all day and Night, Gorgous Green Mountain looking Rolling Hills, Lakes the Cumberland River, If Nashville was on the Ocean it would be one of the Prettiest cities in the World, But even without the ocean Nashville Scenery is GORGOUS

Education Probably a tie between Austin and Nashville, Slight Edge to Austin because Texas" flagship University is in Austin where else Tennessee's Flagship School is in Knoxville

Weather: Tie/ Really doesn't matter they're too similar to really make a difference, Austin is going to be Hotter though

Sports :Nashville (Which just hosted the NHL all star game) unless your a Die Hard Grizzlies Fan, Austin Loses Big Time Here if you're into professional sports. It has NO team and is surrounded by 3 huge Metros (DFW HOUSTON, SAN ANTONIO) that Crowd out it's chances of EVER landing a Team in Any Sport, If College sports is your thing well that's a different story

COL/QOL Nashville is getting expensive but has a High Quality of Life Austin the Same, Memphis is the Cheapest

Things to do, Nashville and Memphis are PACKED with Things to Do. I don't know about Austin. With regards to Memphis you may get some hater that say all it is to do is Beale Street, yeah if this was 1990.

Nightlife: Tough One all three have night life's that can really compete against larger cities all 3 are better than a Houston or St Louis for example. Nashville DARE I SAY is geared more so to One Segment but is really fun but Austin and Memphis are more universal toward there night life
Austin has better college education then Nashville?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City