Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better city?
Denver, CO 69 44.81%
Portland, OR 85 55.19%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 08:44 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,127,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Denver also has tree-filled inner neighborhoods -- probably more than Seattle where I live, and probably more than Portland. But its mountain backdrop is one of the least impressive (far, brown, hill-like) of any city in the Western US, and the other 250 degrees are the Great Plains.
Even those, there are some pretty spots, mostly central east, but a lot of the metro isn't that way. Plus in the PNW they can grow way huge trees and tons of things that won't grow in Denver, which is one of the hardest big cities to get things to grow in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 10:26 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,698,966 times
Who cares that Denver isn't in the mountains? It's not billed as the most beautiful place in the country. Let's not downplay how great the Rockies are though! They're definitely not always brown. And the city is actually not as bad looking as people make it out to be. It's not natural beauty, but the city is not treeless
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
At least the city of Portland is in a pretty natural setting inside the Willamette valley. Denver's only pretty cause there happens to be mountains nearby that you can see sometimes through the haze.
What are you talking about? It's not LA, and smoggy days make up a very few days out of the year. Today for instance. Completely clear and this isn't a rarity at all.

Last edited by Mezter; 09-05-2016 at 10:34 PM..

Old 09-05-2016, 10:58 PM

5,977 posts, read 13,117,372 times
I choose Denver partly based on familiarity, having gone to grad school where Denver was the big city day trip, but also because of the more balanced, live and let live social/political atmosphere. Like another poster mentioned, I too am more over left-leaning, but I prefer liberals who at least are forced to defend their views amongst conservatives. I don't like political echo chambers of any kind, and I get the sense that, that is what Portland is like.

However, the Willaimette valley sounds prettier than any agricultural lands in Colorado.

Old 09-05-2016, 11:10 PM

270 posts, read 325,706 times
OP, if Portland's flavor of liberalism isn't your thing, consider the suburbs. They can be significantly different from Portland proper.

Back when I lived there, there were definitely gun enthusiasts in the suburbs and further out past them. I'm not sure how guns are viewed in Portland.

I'm not sure what the racial climate is like nowadays, but when I was there, I never encountered anyone yelling racial epithets.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:25 AM

650 posts, read 867,608 times
Denver. But again, you couldn't pay me to live in Oregon. Colorado is nice though.

Old 09-09-2016, 04:33 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,810,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Denver also has tree-filled inner neighborhoods -- probably more than Seattle where I live, and probably more than Portland. But its mountain backdrop is one of the least impressive (far, brown, hill-like) of any city in the Western US, and the other 250 degrees are the Great Plains.
I don't think I agree with you as far as the backdrop goes. Boise, ID has some of the ugliest Western US backdrop I've seen. The immediate hills are brown, dead grass and it doesn't appear that there are any snow-capped mountains anywhere like most Western U.S. cities minus a few exceptions (Billings, Phoenix). Now I'm not saying Boise is a bad place because of that, but the hills there remind me of California.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:30 PM

8,857 posts, read 6,856,075 times
I used to live in Boise. Denver's mountains look pretty similar to me, just a lot farther away.

Old 09-15-2016, 09:44 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,924,658 times
Portland got this one over Denver: better downtown, more hip neighborhoods, cooler vibe and great natural beauty

Old 04-16-2018, 10:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,034 times
I think that Denver CO is better because due to the reason that Denver is a large city where you can do many fun things. I went there and I love it the people the way how it the summer and the real Defintion of the winter in the cold winter night. I Agree that Denver is way better for many reason actally like going to collage here omg is the best thing ever trust me I went UCCS and its a one time life time. I think that if i had to chose between this great places I would go back to Denver Coloardo.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:48 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,937,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwaswondering12 View Post
I think that Denver CO is better because due to the reason that Denver is a large city where you can do many fun things. I went there and I love it the people the way how it the summer and the real Defintion of the winter in the cold winter night. I Agree that Denver is way better for many reason actally like going to collage here omg is the best thing ever trust me I went UCCS and its a one time life time. I think that if i had to chose between this great places I would go back to Denver Coloardo.
Have you ever been to Portland?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City