Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can Baltimore ever achieve the type of vibrance and major city quality of its 4 northeastern peers?
yes it can 52 42.28%
no it can't 71 57.72%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 02:26 PM

406 posts, read 481,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I need to take my laptop down to City Hall and make them binge read this, and all other websites, blogs, documentaries, surverys, or anything else I can get my hands on to show how the world views Baltimore, and why they veiw it that way.

Maybe then they'll attempt to change their way of thinking.

Most of the other cities are doing long-jumps, and Baltimore is playing hopscotch.
There's at least one person inside of City Hall reading this thread.

It's amazing to me just how many people are asleep when it comes to Baltimore.

Google Port Covington.

Forget the west coast comparisons...it's only a matter of time before Under Armour takes the sports apparel throne from Nike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 02:38 PM

406 posts, read 481,899 times
Posting this link for all of the lazy City-Data folks:

Port Covington | We Will Build It. Together.

You're welcome!

Old 09-13-2016, 02:41 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,017 posts, read 7,400,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyCarcetti View Post
There's at least one person inside of City Hall reading this thread.

It's amazing to me just how many people are asleep when it comes to Baltimore.

Google Port Covington.

Forget the west coast comparisons...it's only a matter of time before Under Armour takes the sports apparel throne from Nike.
Thanks Homer Simpson, love the optimism.

Port Covington is going to be epic, but isn't it like 40 years from full build out?

Old 09-13-2016, 03:49 PM

13,685 posts, read 15,586,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Thanks Homer Simpson, love the optimism.

Port Covington is going to be epic, but isn't it like 40 years from full build out?
The amount of phases is in the double digits according to the developers from Sagamore. They told me they didn't want to suck up all the demand by delivering too much supply. It's going to be a very long time for this development to finish. DC proper will have close to 1,000,000 people by the time they finish.

Old 09-13-2016, 03:59 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,238,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyCarcetti View Post
Posting this link for all of the lazy City-Data folks:

Port Covington | We Will Build It. Together.

You're welcome!
I don't see what this has to do with the thread topic.

This is just some proposed development project. If it's built, why would Baltimore be a fundamentally different city?

Old 09-13-2016, 04:19 PM

10,071 posts, read 9,841,047 times
Yes, Baltimore can achieve the type of vibrancy of the other cities except NYC depending where in NYC we're talking about.

Old 09-13-2016, 04:43 PM

13,685 posts, read 15,586,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Yes, Baltimore can achieve the type of vibrancy of the other cities except NYC depending where in NYC we're talking about.
Any city could achieve the vibrancy of other cities if it builds enough density and adds enough people. The question is will that city do that? Do you believe Baltimore is going to start growing that fast? If so, when do you think that will happen and how many people do you think the city will need to add? Also, do you think Baltimore is going to start building apartment buildings in all those row house neighborhoods?

Old 09-13-2016, 04:53 PM

10,071 posts, read 9,841,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Any city could achieve the vibrancy of other cities if it builds enough density and adds enough people. The question is will that city do that? Do you believe Baltimore is going to start growing that fast? If so, when do you think that will happen and how many people do you think the city will need to add? Also, do you think Baltimore is going to start building apartment buildings in all those row house neighborhoods?
It's just as much about the types of people a place adds as it is how many. However, in Baltimore's vibrant neighborhoods you'd be hard pressed to top them if you're not NYC (in the cities we're comparing). Also, the majority of your post has nothing to do with my comment. I'm talking about vibrany, and you're talking about Rowhouses.

Old 09-13-2016, 05:10 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,247,862 times
Matching NYC vibrancy is almost impossible in any city. Matching Philly, Boston, and DC is possible because Baltimore has the built environment to handle it. It has good bones, unlike most cities.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:13 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,496,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Did Baltimore steal your lunch money? Is there some other reason that you need to trash Baltimore all the time about every subject?

Clearly Baltimore needs to find its own way. Also, to me anyway, it doesn't need to compete with DC in every way. If Baltimore does something well every now and then, there is no reason for DC folks to get worked up about it. Since DC is the nation's capital, and there is only one, DC and its suburban residents should feel secure about their exalted position and stop worrying so much about Baltimore. If need be, you folks can just look down on us with quiet disgust. Just be quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City