Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Battle of the Empire States
New York 77 69.37%
Georgia 34 30.63%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 05:41 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankOcean View Post
NY - NYC
Cali - LA, San Fran, San Diego, San Jose.
Texas - Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Austin.

Doesn't seem like an Empire State in 2016. NYC nor New York State isn't desired as it used to be decades ago, those days are gone.
NYC by itself is comparable to some of those areas combined. There are other areas in NY State that are growing, even if they growing like crazy, there are that are growing. Albany and Rochester are a couple of the bigger Upstate NY metros that have grown steadily over the years. Some of the smaller areas have as well(Ithaca, Watertown, Glens Falls, Plattsburgh).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 05:42 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,562,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankOcean View Post

Doesn't seem like an Empire State in 2016. NYC nor New York State isn't desired as it used to be decades ago, those days are gone.
Not true at all lol

Old 09-09-2016, 06:18 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,815,321 times
As a long time resident of both states, 19 years in GA and 10 years in NY (for the most part) I give the nod to NY in pretty much every category. Aside from Atlanta, GA doesn't have much to offer IMO.

I like Savannah for its history and charm, lived there for 8 months (between Ft Stewart and Savannah) and while I enjoyed it I couldn't wait to move back to NY. The other cities like Augusta, Macon, Columbus, etc can't compete with Buff, SYR, ROC, and Albany.

GA does have some good universities but education has a whole I give to NY.

Outdoor activities, north GA mountains are nice but nowhere close to the Adirondacks, Catskills, or Finger lakes.

Cost of living goes to GA if your talking about NYC but upstate is cheap to live. Also taxes are very high in NY.

Weather is subjective. I like winter and 4 seasons so I go with NY. Can't do the GA summers.

I prefer GA laws and Regulations, more conservative but whatever.

I'll always consider GA my "home" but I love upstate NY and don't plan on leaving.

Old 09-09-2016, 02:46 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
Not true at all lol
There is some truth to it. ..."lol"

Old 09-09-2016, 09:47 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
NYC by itself is comparable to some of those areas combined.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
Not true at all lol
I disagree...

Most of the foreigners I know, who've decided on moving to the states, instantly throw out NYC as an option with no hesitation. A few decades ago it was all about NYC, NYC, NYC; times are changing, there's more options, varied opportunities. Just for kicks, Drake spends more time in Houston and LA than he does in NYC lol.

Gone are the days of NY being the head state as well, Cali and Texas are definitely ahead of NY, I'd even throw in Florida.

Old 09-09-2016, 10:09 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
I disagree...

Most of the foreigners I know, who've decided on moving to the states, instantly throw out NYC as an option with no hesitation. A few decades ago it was all about NYC, NYC, NYC; times are changing, there's more options, varied opportunities. Just for kicks, Drake spends more time in Houston and LA than he does in NYC lol.

Gone are the days of NY being the head state as well, Cali and Texas are definitely ahead of NY, I'd even throw in Florida.
No.

Drake? Seriously?!

I could name a couple hundred A-list celebrities who are currently living in Atlanta and Georgia working on film or TV projects, but that does not take away from the fact that NEW YORK is the media, banking, business and cultural capital OF THE WORLD! Every major entertainment conglomerate / TV network / film studio / music company EXCEPT FOR DISNEY is headquaterd in New York City. It is THE most important and influential city IN THE WORLD! And it is in New York State!

I can't believe people are still arguing against this point.

Old 09-09-2016, 10:48 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,026 times
It's New York state. This coming from an Atlanta native. I mean one borough will take out most cities, let that sink in. ATL is 2 and after that Albany, Buffalo, and Rochester....no need to go on. In most metrics, NY State is the choice.

GA wins if you like peaches, pecans, and peanuts (and chicken) .

I'm familiar with Western NY and the Albany area...NY State is just more well rounded than GA.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:23 PM

102 posts, read 117,587 times
Somehow this went from a somewhat-close poll to a blowout...

Old 09-09-2016, 11:51 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
No.

Drake? Seriously?!

I could name a couple hundred A-list celebrities who are currently living in Atlanta and Georgia working on film or TV projects, but that does not take away from the fact that NEW YORK is the media, banking, business and cultural capital OF THE WORLD! Every major entertainment conglomerate / TV network / film studio / music company EXCEPT FOR DISNEY is headquaterd in New York City. It is THE most important and influential city IN THE WORLD! And it is in New York State!

I can't believe people are still arguing against this point.
Influential where? lol, not in 2016.

In your perspective, NYC is the Media, Banking, Business, or whatever capital of the world, yet it's still not desirable as it used to be decades ago, this isn't 1945, it's 2016. The US wouldn't be as popular as it is today if it was just NYC and NYC only; that gap between NYC and other major cities are shortening, been that way for a while honestly.

And as far as states go, I stand by my previous statement; California, Texas and Florida are all ahead of New York, that's pound for pound.

You must've also ignored where I stated "just for kicks," lol, but still it's relative to how NYC isn't as desirable, even to A-list celebrities.

Old 09-10-2016, 12:04 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Influential where? lol, not in 2016.

In your perspective, NYC is the Media, Banking, Business, or whatever capital of the world, yet it's still not desirable as it used to be decades ago, this isn't 1945, it's 2016. The US wouldn't be as popular as it is today if it was just NYC and NYC only; that gap between NYC and other major cities are shortening, been that way for a while honestly.

And as far as states go, I stand by my previous statement; California, Texas and Florida are all ahead of New York, that's pound for pound.

You must've also ignored where I stated "just for kicks," lol, but still it's relative to how NYC isn't as desirable, even to A-list celebrities.
I believe that in spite of FL just passing NY in population, their economy is smaller. CA is essentially Canada in terms of population, while TX is second in terms of land size and population. NY is 30th in land size and is still 4th in terms of population. Yet it has the Adirondack Park, which is bigger than several national parks combined. It has ocean and lakeside beaches. It has plenty of islands. It has canyons, dunes and caverns. It has a range in terms of cost of living, social and living environments. I could go on, but it is a very diverse state in many ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City