Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 06:36 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
Here is the original post for reference:

Obviously my point to Mutiny77 was that population of MSA and CSA are not correlated to DMA households. Nor is population growth of an MSA and CSA correlative with number of household growth in DMA.

One of the examples I used were the San Francisco Bay Area versus Greater Philadelphia.

On one hand you have the Philadelphia DMA registering + 24,000 households in a year, whereas the San Francisco Bay Area is + 3,400 households in a year. Essentially Philadelphia DMA's household growth year-over-year is on another level than the San Francisco Bay Area's, Philadelphia's DMA grew 7X more than the San Francisco Bay Area.
Perhaps a glitch in number gathering, 1 year anomally.

Over the past 7 years. Neilsen Tv Viewer Stats

NYC -65,000
LA -174,000
Phil -32,000
SF + 9,000

If you havent noticed I didnt care for your point that a steady TV Market is a barometer of a dying city.Foolish argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactsKillRhetoric
However on population growth, the blowout becomes an inverse situation. The San Francisco Bay Area added + 110,000 people year-over-year in the latest year to Greater Philadelphia's + 18,000 people. So the San Francisco Bay Area essentially added 6X more people.
And SF's capturement area is probably 6x bigger. Philadelphia is probably the smallest MSA of all the big cities as NYC mooches into Philly territory. Thats the point. Philadlephias TV Market never changes and remains steady. Phillys MSA is suppressed by NYC infinging on Central jersey and Eastern PA. Philly has limited growth because it has nowhere to expand to.

Philly TV market = Trenton,Allentown,lScranton, Lancaster, Dover,Atlantic City.

Philly CMSA = None of the Above.

When it comes to rankings Philly gets the shaft. Micro regions just vanish. It would be like Oakland not being part of Bay Area.

Here is Lehigh Valley PA. Its about 1 M in its msa. Approx $50 B GDP goes to NYC. Allentown is 100 miles away and virtually no connection to NYC. This is why Philly cant grow statistically as the Lehigh Valley is part of NYC's CMSA , despite being directly connected to Phillys powerhouse NW suburbs

Last edited by rainrock; 09-05-2016 at 06:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 09:51 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,171,933 times
Dover and Atlantic City are in the CSA. But yea, I agree with you.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:59 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,813,609 times
I hate how Nielsen only reports by households. I'd like to see full population. What is the total population of these media markets? How many live in Washington vs. Boston? Households tells me nothing.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
I hate how Nielsen only reports by households. I'd like to see full population. What is the total population of these media markets? How many live in Washington vs. Boston? Households tells me nothing.
But a game of connect the dots via commuter patterns covering hundred or miles or more does tell you something? County A is connected to County B and so on and so on therefore County A and County Q are also part of the same metro. Bologna.

Sorry but the Neilsen TV Rankings is a better barometer for the cohesiveness and population of a region. You share the same news,follow the same sporting teams, go to the same events.

Where did the CMSA first start? Was it a think tank in Wash Dc who had the bright idea to make up a new category where they can add Baltimore + West Va so their metropolis isnt dwarfed as badly by NYC,La,Chi??

I absolutely despise the CMSA designation. Cheap Trick.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
2016 Avg household size is 2.54 people per household.

Quick calculation Total population.

1.NYC-18.7 M
2.LA- 14.4 M
Chi- 8.8 M
Phila- 7.5 M
Dal-- 6.6 M

SF-Bos-Houston-Wash all lagging behind in the 5 -6 M range.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:29 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,152,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Philly TV market = Trenton,Allentown,lScranton, Lancaster, Dover,Atlantic City.

Philly CMSA = None of the Above.
Scranton isn't in the Philadelphia TV market. It has its own TV market with Wilkes Barre, just behind New Orleans and ranked #54. I own a house in the mountains of NE Pennsylvania and I get no Philadelphia television stations up here. My cable company offers a NYC station though along with all the Scranton and Wilkes Barre stations. The county just east of us, Pike, is actually a part of the NYC television market.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:37 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,217,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Yes, true. As I understand it, a DMA has their own full boat, (or almost full boat) of affiliated stations.
Unless West Palm stations all go dark they will never be part of the Miami market.
West Palm Beach's television market covers not only Palm Beach County, but Indian River (Vero Beach) and Martin (Port St. Lucie) Counties to the north. Additionally, several parts of Palm Beach County are extremely distant from Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. Boca Raton is the only area in PB County I could think of that has a direct relationship with Broward county. I used to think that WPB had a relationship to Miami the same way San Bernardino and Riverside are related to Los Angeles, but its more like how Baltimore is related to DC (and even then, there are huge differences).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City