Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 12:26 PM

234 posts, read 142,254 times

Advertisements

Toronto would probably need 30-40 years to fully catch up to Chicago.

Toronto gains around 100k per year, and metro is in the 6-7 million range. Even assuming Toronto continues its strong growth, and assuming Chicago continues to lag, it would still take decades. Chicago is still significantly bigger, richer, more important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 12:38 PM

63 posts, read 75,125 times
Do people actually use the CSA metric these days? Its garbage. UA Urban Area is much better and consistent.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:47 PM

234 posts, read 142,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointer212 View Post
Do people actually use the CSA metric these days? Its garbage. UA Urban Area is much better and consistent.
The CSA is derived from the Census, and officially no better or worse than any other metric.

IMO, it's the best apples-to-apples comparison, at least within the U.S.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloomfield1 View Post
The CSA is derived from the Census, and officially no better or worse than any other metric.

No its not the best. People argue all the time about what should be and what should not be included in CSA's all the time. To me its useless and UA or Metro is better. I never hear people argue about UA or Metro area. Its only convenient for certian cities to use CSA and alot of the time it includes huge areas of low density emptiness.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:14 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,171,462 times
Quote:

Toronto gains around 100k per year, and metro is in the 6-7 million range. Even assuming Toronto continues its strong growth, and assuming Chicago continues to lag, it would still take decades. Chicago is still significantly bigger, richer, more important.
If by city-proper urban population, downtown core population, Toronto has already surpassed Chicago more than 5 years ago back in 2011:

NBC Chicago: Keeping up with Toronto

The Globe: City of Toronto surpasses Chicago to become fourth largest city in North America

The Chicagoist: First Toronto Surpasses Chicago In Population, Now Brooklyn Is Eyeing Us

NBC Chicago: City of Toronto Surpasses Chicago in Population

The census by Statistics Canada puts City of Toronto at 2,791,140 in 2011, and Chicago at 2,707,120. Since it's been 5 years, I'd imagine the gap is even bigger now.

I think Chicago's combined CSA/MSA population including its far-flung suburbs will always be bigger and higher than Toronto, even 20, 30 years from now. It's hard to catch up to decades of sprawling suburban expansion. Toronto, however, will always come out ahead in terms city-proper and urban core population.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:21 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,875,216 times
I do not think your numbers are quite right but whatever

Old 09-07-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:

Look at this map of the CSA's, do you really think this is a good representation of the populations of metro areas? Urban Area is better because it shows the unbroken urban development, and does not include numbers of people just because they drive from far away to work in the urban area.

Last edited by pointer212; 09-07-2016 at 01:33 PM..

Old 09-07-2016, 01:38 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,585,101 times
Quote:
Look at this map of the CSA's, do you really think this is a good representation of the populations of metro areas? Urban Area is better because it shows the unbroken urban development, and does not include numbers of people just because they drive from far away to work in the urban area.
I think it's laughable that San Benito and Santa Cruz counties are part of the Bay Area CSA, especially considering that all San Benito county is is Hollister, and then the Diablo Range!

And only like 5% of San Bernardino Co, 1/3rd of Riverside Co and maybe 1/2 of Ventura Co should really be considered part of the LA CSA

Old 09-07-2016, 02:29 PM

18 posts, read 44,242 times
Quote:

OK here are some, you know, facts.

Some easily found various government planning stuff here:

http://tinyurl.com/govtcrap

One of those page #1 references here .. an updating which says GGH population estimated to be 12.0 million in 2031

http://tinyurl.com/ontariocrap

The current population is about 9.7 million or so, higher than I previously stated. This is a link to a PDF

http://tinyurl.com/moreGGHcrap

9.7 million to 12.0 million is a gain of about 2.3 million, spread over 15 years, or 153K per year (I was working with out-of-date figures, and a lower current population, to hit my quoted 200K, so I apologize for that. But my main point, that GGH will eclipse Chicagoland in a few years is still valid.

That previous link also shows actual GGH population increasing from 7.8 million in 2001 to the current 9.7 million, an average actual increase of about 125K.

OK now what is going on in Chicagoland? Having trouble finding current info. Everything I Google is about Chicago's rapid decline. There is this wiki thing:

http://tinyurl.com/smalllincrease

The wiki starts by saying Chicagoland population is 9.9 million. That kind of fits with the lower chart saying population in 2000 was 9.3 million and 9.7 million in 2010. From 9.3 to 9.9 (say that is 2015 value) is 0.6 million in 15 years, or about 40K per year, and I understand that is declining.

So in 2020, say, Chicagoland population will be about 9.9 + (40x5) or 10.1 million. The GGH population will be 9.7 + (150x5) or 10.4 million or whatever, and thereafter rapidly outpacing Chicagoland.

Toronto’s growth is guaranteed … the Fed are going to open up the immigration faucets to about 300K per year, and half of those will settle in the GGH.

You can pick nits with this value or that .. but you can’t argue (at least not rationally) with the overall premise.

Old 09-07-2016, 03:06 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,545,940 times
Quote:
Urban area too has its flaws as a metric, and there is no consistent explanation for density levels/ what defines "urban". Its definitions are very vague. You can have a pretty solidly urban suburb, and a town 10 miles down the road with less density that may or may not be included into the urban area. If it's not included then we have to make believe that the town does not exist, when in reality it does. On top of this you may go another 10 miles down the road and have a new town with heavy density that is part of a separate urban area, all in a 30 mile stretch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City