Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 11:40 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,857,896 times

Advertisements

I'd argue Kansas City and Omaha to be very similar cities. Both heavily involved in the meat-packing industry, both known for their quality meats...KC bbq and Omaha steaks, both on the Missouri River, etc. Though I could also argue Omaha is very similar to Des Moines as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 11:45 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
Des Moines and Omaha, as well as Columbus and Indianapolis.

Old 09-12-2016, 12:10 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,017,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Cleveland is not fairly flat I don't know where you're getting that idea. Compared to Cincinnati and Pittsburgh I would agree, but Cleveland has plenty of hills, particularly on the East side. Chagrin Falls is very hilly.
Cleveland is fairly flat. There are some ravines which cut their way through the city (most notably around the Cuyahoga River) but the neighborhoods themselves have very little topographic relief.

Chagrin Falls is a suburb and not part of Cleveland at all.

Old 09-12-2016, 12:53 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,654,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
I would argue St. Louis and Cincinnati are very similar, in built form, culture/attitude, and heritage & history.
Certainly St. Louis and Cincinnati have a lot in common, but I think culturally and politically St. Louis is more similar to Cleveland.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:05 PM

436 posts, read 521,003 times
Columbus and Indianapolis is a good comparison. Cleveland and Pittsburgh maybe. St. Louis has the most southern and country influence of any of these making it tough to compare really.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:55 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,165,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjmars View Post
Columbus and Indianapolis is a good comparison. Cleveland and Pittsburgh maybe. St. Louis has the most southern and country influence of any of these making it tough to compare really.
Don't even start. St. Louis is not "southern" and it is not "country." Its rich history of industrialization and mass immigration from many corners of Europe, as well as a logistics-based economy established since before the Civil War, ensure that it is neither country nor southern by any measure. There are influences, but they're about as prevalent as they are in, say, Columbus. The only "country" part of the greater StL area is found in the Jefferson County and Illinois exurbs.

Old 09-12-2016, 03:27 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
St Louis / Cincinnati
Kansas City / Omaha (although KC is much larger, dense core, river city, sprawling metro, similar topography)
Indianapolis / Des Moines (although Indy is much larger, low density core and metro, flat, small river running through)
Milwaukee / Cleveland (industrial lake cities, I feel they are similar even though Cleveland is larger and more industrial)
St Paul / Columbus (maybe it's just the river fronts, not sure, but feel they are similar at least downtown)
Peoria / Tulsa (OKC not in midwest, but tulsa seem midwestern, simlar in size and feel, mid sized river)
Fort Wayne / Wichita (similar topography, similar size, similar importance)

Chicago and Minneapolis are the two big urban centers, but Chicago is in a different league.

Old 09-12-2016, 05:14 PM

408 posts, read 580,638 times
Cincy - St Louis
Omaha - Kansas City
Columbus - Indianapolis
Cleveland - Detroit

Old 09-12-2016, 05:31 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,122,775 times
Families:

1. Great Plains cities: Minneapolis, Kansas City, Omaha. Sprawling, mostly Evangelical, mostly White, not much heavy industry
2. Mid-Sized, Rust Belt: Cleveland, Milwaukee, St. Louis. Large Catholic populations, ethnic immigrant centers, Great Migration destinations, blue collar, fallen on hard times, but rising again
3. Midwest Metropolis: Chicago, Detroit. Mega-cities compared to the others; have more wealth in their regions than the others, although more poverty and crime as well.
4. Shining capitals: Indianapolis, Columbus, Madison. All have seen lots of state investment dollars due to their being the state capital. Sprawling, centrally located, not traditional centers of industry in their states.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:18 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,041,115 times
Interesting note on Cleveland vs Pittsburgh topography. The counties of both cities have altitude differentials (hightest point - lowest point) that are pretty much the same.
Cleveland: 1287 - 570 = 717 ft for Cuyahoga
Pittsburgh: 1420 - 690 = 730 ft for Allegheny

Cuyahoga county has plenty of hills, in fact, even Cleveland has a few hills comparable to Pittsburgh, they're just not downtown, they're south of downtown about 6 miles. Check out the view on I-480 as you head west into the I-77 interchange, just before you go over the I-480 bridge over the valley. That bridge itself is about 200ft above the valley floor. Technically though, that view is in Garfield Heights, an inner ring suburb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City