Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city would you want to spend your 20s in?
New York City 32 23.36%
Los Angeles 7 5.11%
Chicago 21 15.33%
Houston 0 0%
Philadelphia 12 8.76%
San Diego 4 2.92%
Dallas 0 0%
Austin 3 2.19%
San Francisco 4 2.92%
Atlanta 4 2.92%
Miami 9 6.57%
Denver 4 2.92%
New Orleans 2 1.46%
Seattle 8 5.84%
Charlotte 1 0.73%
Nashville 7 5.11%
Portland 2 1.46%
Minneapolis 1 0.73%
Tampa 0 0%
Other - OP left the city out 16 11.68%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 09:47 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,395,968 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQRy8oZpySc

it looks like you prefer large cities, but Greenville SC might be worth checking out. It is the most populated county, MSA and CSA in SC, near the Blue Ridge Mountains. it has a fantastic downtown.

Greenville hype video at the link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 09:50 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,957,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
For one, that sucks. Secondly, thats basically saying its expensive. Thanks for illustrating my point.
It's just a matter of lifestyle expectations it's just a matter of lifestyle expectations. I spend most of my 20s living with roommates on the Lower East Side and Fort Greene, Brooklyn. I can't imagine that I would've felt more for filled living alone in Austin or Atlanta. Hell, I could have lived alone in NYC, but being in some far-flung neighborhood wouldn't have fit my lifestyle. Even today, young people can afford to live alone in unpopular, but safe neighborhoods in Queens or the Bronx.

EDIT: Travel is also much cheaper when you live in NYC. NY has discount air deals that most other cities just can't match. I've flown rt to europe for under $300. Deals like that still arise. I saw Beijing for under $700 a few months back.

Last edited by gladhands; 09-15-2016 at 10:03 AM..

Old 09-15-2016, 09:51 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,806,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I can't imagine not spending your 20's in a big city. I live in NYC now and it's perfect. You don't have to live in a place like NYC, but most big cities in this country will do...as long as they aren't too sprawly/family friendly.
I lived in a midsized city in my mid 20s and loved it. It was a city that people commonly think of as family friendly, but it worked for me and those years were the most exciting years of my life (what I would give to relive them). Had to move back home at 26 (4 years ago) and have been miserable ever since.

I think the most important thing is to experience something different other than your hometown. Your twenties are at time to broaden your horizons and experience new things, and many times that's tough to do in your hometown. Though my time was cut short by the recession, I did that and am glad I did.

Old 09-15-2016, 09:57 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,169,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I lived in a midsized city in my mid 20s and loved it. It was a city that people commonly think of as family friendly, but it worked for me and those years were the most exciting years of my life (what I would give to relive them). Had to move back home at 26 (4 years ago) and have been miserable ever since.

I think the most important thing is to experience something different other than your hometown. Your twenties are at time to broaden your horizons and experience new things, and many times that's tough to do in your hometown. Though my time was cut short by the recession, I did that and am glad I did.
While I generally agree that yours 20s are meant to be an enjoyable part of your life, determining whether or not to relocate really depends where you're from, how much you travel, and what your career/life goals are. Not everyone wants or needs to move across the country and sometimes it's actually the wrong decision. I have NUMEROUS friends who have moved to the West Coast and are unable to find jobs to support their lifestyles. Some are fortunate enough to have parents capable of helping them (even with their parents are pressuring them to move back home), others are stressed and ready to move on. It's a big world and I recommend everyone explore, but relocating is highly romanticized IMO, especially for someone in their 20s.

I'm glad you enjoyed the place you decided to relocate to. I hope you can find happiness in your current living situation.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:48 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,736,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happernick View Post
I wonder if it is still possible to enjoy big city life in your 30s as much as you did in your 20s. Not sure if I will be able to live in a big city in my 20s due to some financial issues but I should get them worked out by 30, would love to enjoy it then.
Of course it is! Plenty of people in their 30s enjoy city-living.

Old 09-15-2016, 11:19 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,695 times
Probably NYC and Chicago. Huge, bustling cities with nearly everything imaginable to do, see and experience. If for only COL, Chicago 1a), New York 1b.). Then, the rest probably headed up by San Francisco, Seattle, Boston, etc.

Old 09-15-2016, 11:35 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,806,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
While I generally agree that yours 20s are meant to be an enjoyable part of your life, determining whether or not to relocate really depends where you're from, how much you travel, and what your career/life goals are. Not everyone wants or needs to move across the country and sometimes it's actually the wrong decision. I have NUMEROUS friends who have moved to the West Coast and are unable to find jobs to support their lifestyles. Some are fortunate enough to have parents capable of helping them (even with their parents are pressuring them to move back home), others are stressed and ready to move on. It's a big world and I recommend everyone explore, but relocating is highly romanticized IMO, especially for someone in their 20s.

I'm glad you enjoyed the place you decided to relocate to. I hope you can find happiness in your current living situation.
I do agree its different for different people. It's also good to keep expectations in line with reality. A lot of twentysomethings are running off to hot spots like Portland or Seattle that have very high CoL as well as extreme job competition and are finding themselves unable to make it. However, there is a middle ground between that and staying in a small midwestern or Southern town where they are expected to settle down at age 22, get married, and live the same mundane routine until retirement. Your twenties are your time to take risks and step outside of your comfort zone.

Old 09-15-2016, 11:36 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,412,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
For one, that sucks. Secondly, thats basically saying its expensive. Thanks for illustrating my point.
How does all of that suck? The only thing more expensive in NYC is the rent, everything else can be had for just as cheap.

Old 09-15-2016, 11:40 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,412,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
NYC actually isn't all that expensive for a twentysomething because:

You're EXPECTED to have a roommate. In a lot of cheaper cities, being 26 with a roommate makes you look like a loser, so you end up renting a 1400 1br, which could actually get you a decent share in NYC.

You are not expected to have a car, freeing a lot of money up for rent or social life.

Unlike a lot of cold weather cities, most New Yorkers don't pay for heat. This may seam insignificant, but it can save you $200/mo in the winter.

NYC, has a million FREE events and open bars. It's actually a fairly affordable city for nightlife.
Spot on. It would cost me more to live in smaller, less expensive cities than it does for me to live in NYC right now.

Old 09-15-2016, 11:44 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,909,459 times
I'd say either NYC or Chicago for top choices, but completely depends on how you're willing to live, how much you make, etc. Chicago would be my #1 actually because it's most affordable with having most options at the same time. if you are not opposed to living with roommates though and don't need to be in Manhattan though, NYC could be had for cheaper than you'd think.

Many other cities would be really fun though - I'm sure LA would be just as fun as these two - I am pretty familiar with LA but haven't lived there like the other two cities I mentioned. I'm sure other cities like Miami, DC, Miami, Austin, SF, Seattle, Denver, etc would be fun too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City