Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What rust belt city has the brightest future?
Cleveland 18 10.71%
Detroit 25 14.88%
Pittsburgh 69 41.07%
Buffalo 3 1.79%
Rochester 8 4.76%
Cincinnati 23 13.69%
Toledo 0 0%
Milwaukee 12 7.14%
Grand Rapids 10 5.95%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 03:18 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,876,783 times

Advertisements

I grew up in the Cincinnati area granted it was the suburbs but I never knew it was a Rust Belt City. Everyone in my town was a Dr, Lawyer, CEO or some other type of professional. Cincinnati is not as poor as people think it is even the city. Pittsburgh is my answer thou even thou it is not considered Rust Belt any longer as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 03:30 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
I grew up in the Cincinnati area granted it was the suburbs but I never knew it was a Rust Belt City. Everyone in my town was a Dr, Lawyer, CEO or some other type of professional. Cincinnati is not as poor as people think it is even the city. Pittsburgh is my answer thou even thou it is not considered Rust Belt any longer as well.
Every "Rust Belt" area has towns like that and even nice city neighborhoods. So, that isn't unique or unusual to find similar places in such metro areas.

If anything, most Rust Belt cities are small in terms of land size to where if they were in the South or a state where annexation is possible, many first and even second ring suburbs would be outer city neighborhoods for those cities. Many of these Rust Belt cities except for Detroit are in the 35-70 square miles range, which is quite small given the city population of these cities. This is even the case with their population loss over the years.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-18-2016 at 03:59 PM..

Old 09-18-2016, 05:41 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
That is completely untrue, Chicago is still very much a rust belt city. It has lost a million people from its population since its peak, has vast abandoned and decaying neighborhoods, and lots of legacy industry left over. Its differentiation from the rest of the Rust Belt is that it began its comeback much earlier-in the 80s and 90s.
Nah. Chicago lost roughly 27% of its peak population, but a lot of those people moved to the Chicago suburbs. The Chicago MSA has never lost population, and Cook County, IL is about 300k off of its peak population. Yes, Chicago has seen substantial population decline, but its county has had very little. Hardly rust belt.

Old 09-18-2016, 06:25 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Nah. Chicago lost roughly 27% of its peak population, but a lot of those people moved to the Chicago suburbs. The Chicago MSA has never lost population, and Cook County, IL is about 300k off of its peak population. Yes, Chicago has seen substantial population decline, but its county has had very little. Hardly rust belt.
I do wonder how much of that is because Chicago developed a reasonably large Latino population pretty early on. It does seem in general that while there is white flight from Hispanic neighborhoods, they not only don't tend to have population declines. Few houses become abandoned and need to be knocked down, and due to large multi-generational families the number of people per household may even rise. It's certainly the case that a fair amount of cities with basically nothing else going for them (I'm looking at you Stockton) have managed to keep growing robustly solely due to their Latino and Asian populations.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:00 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,859,128 times
St. Louis should have definitely been included on this list. It is very much a Rust Belt city.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:16 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,889,927 times
Rochester. I'm curious to see what happens with the downtown development and possible green space.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:59 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,166,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
The health of the suburbs means nothing to whether it's a rust belt city. St. Louis has never declined in metropolitan population either, but you'd be hard-pressed to say it's not a rust belt city.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:02 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
The health of the suburbs means nothing to whether it's a rust belt city. St. Louis has never declined in metropolitan population either, but you'd be hard-pressed to say it's not a rust belt city.
St. Louis also lost 60% of its peak population. It went from 4th largest city to 60th. Chicago fell from 2nd to 3rd. Big difference.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:59 AM

Was Cincinnati ever a large manufacturing center? People keep claiming its Rust Belt but I've never heard of any steel mills in the area or other kinds of manufacturing. I'm not saying it's not a Rust Belt City...it certainly is a Midwest city, but is it a Rust Belt city to the degree of St. Louis, Cleveland, or Pittsburgh? I find that hard to believe.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:02 AM

Anyway, as far as the list goes, even with St. Louis on there, Pittsburgh has by far the brightest future. Downtown is booming and the city has managed to make the smoothest transition from a manufacturing city to a financial/banking city. It is doing the most well of all the cities on the list and to my knowledge is gaining in population. Cities like Detroit, Cleveland, and St. Louis continue to lose population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City