Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 09:05 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Austin dominates the Texas cities.
Not shocking. Austin does have the University of Texas true. But its economy is different from other parts of the state. Unlike DFW, Houston, and San Antonio, I can't think of any oil presence in the Austin area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 11:01 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,089,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Not shocking. Austin does have the University of Texas true. But its economy is different from other parts of the state. Unlike DFW, Houston, and San Antonio, I can't think of any oil presence in the Austin area.
Odd thing is, I expected oil to be a major plus for degrees. I remember when I went to UH for a hit, about half the people in my orientation group, all of whom were from the area, besides me, was there for something fossil fuel (yes, Samsung, "fuel" is a word) related. It left the impression that a degree was required to get in the oil field (or at least the component of it located in Houston).

It also left an impression that Houston was uniquely dependent on oil, more than just economically, but that's for another topic.

Old 09-18-2016, 07:47 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,598,430 times
NC with 2 in the top 12 is impressive.

Old 09-19-2016, 06:47 AM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
NC with 2 in the top 12 is impressive.
The two areas in NC function as one region, so it's more like 1 region of about 2 million people. The Durham-Chapel Hill part of the region is relatively small.

Old 09-19-2016, 07:31 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
The two areas in NC function as one region, so it's more like 1 region of about 2 million people. The Durham-Chapel Hill part of the region is relatively small.
The Research Triangle area has all the ingredients that drive higher educational attainment. It's NC's center of higher education institutions, the state government, and research, medical, technology & biotechnology industries.

Old 09-19-2016, 10:34 AM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
The Research Triangle area has all the ingredients that drive higher educational attainment. It's NC's center of higher education institutions, the state government, and research, medical, technology & biotechnology industries.
Yes, that's why I said it functions as one region.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:38 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,884,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inphosphere View Post
Spoiler
50 Largest US Cities by Percentage of Adults-- Bachelor's Degree or Higher, 2015
Seattle, TX 62.1%
And, Colorado Springs, CA 38.3%. Maybe we're confused and that's why we think we are doing so well?

Old 09-20-2016, 11:03 PM

464 posts, read 523,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
You always give great insight.

Old 09-21-2016, 06:58 AM

1,462 posts, read 1,428,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlats View Post
All the government employment (city, state, federal), relatively high white population, and low foreign immigration probably explain some of it I'd imagine. I've always considered Denver to be a relatively well educated metro. I'm surprised at Atlanta being higher than I expected and SLC lower.
Atlanta has always ranked high on this list.
Atlanta has the largest concentration of HBCU's (Historicaly Black Colleges and Universities)in America as well as one of the most educated black population and has many top universities like Emory,Georgia Institute of Technology ,Georgia State University and many others.
It ranks fourth in corporate headquarters as well as places like the CDC.

Old 09-21-2016, 07:05 AM

1,462 posts, read 1,428,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funtraveler1 View Post
Didn't expect Nashville to be that high. Wow.
Nashville has many colleges and universities .Vanderbilt,Fisk,Tenn St.etc.Plus it has a sizable healthcare sectore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City