Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Preference for?
Greater Cleveland 88 47.06%
Greater Sacramento 99 52.94%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 07:46 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HueysBack View Post
Well, aren't you pleasantly snarky today? This is just my opinion having growing up in the Bay and living in Chicago, Cleveland and spending considerable time in Pittsburgh and Philly. Why do disregard the attraction of legacy downtown's and neighborhoods in contrast to Sac? Sac feels much more like a sunbelt city than an old legacy city like SF and the previously mentioned.

Nothing wrong with that. Hence why it's better compared to Columbus.

And of course Pittsburgh has a stronger downtown than Sac. Thank you for stating the obvious...
I'm not disregarding legacy downtowns, I appreciate them for what they are. You made a statement on "proper downtowns", implying bias towards Legacy Cities by listing like eight of them...

Sac has Sunbelt elements but that is not its defining characteristic at all. The vast majority of Sacramento does not feel anything like the Sunbelt (Old Sac, Oak Park, Del Paso Heights, Pocket-Greenhaven, East Sacramento, etc)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 10:01 PM

227 posts, read 197,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I'm not disregarding legacy downtowns, I appreciate them for what they are. You made a statement on "proper downtowns", implying bias towards Legacy Cities by listing like eight of them...
Why is it wrong for me to have preference/"bias" for these kinds of downtown's?

Old 11-20-2018, 06:24 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueysBack View Post
Why is it wrong for me to have preference/"bias" for these kinds of downtown's?
Your preference isn't wrong. Your statement was made as if what your definition of a "proper downtown" is, is not an opinion. I don't take issue with your preference, I take issue with the absolute implication of your loaded terminology ("proper downtown")...

What isn't "proper" about Downtown Sac? Certainly in this comparison it offers everything that Downtown Cleveland does, so the only inference could be that Downtown Cleveland has the more historic build...

The more I think about it, to your other comment, there is only marginal Sunbelt elements in Sacramento, so i don't think that's a great description. Sacramento is very Northern Californian, hints of the old West and interior West. Very little Sunbelt characteristically, this isn't San Jose...

Old 11-23-2018, 11:43 AM

3,814 posts, read 4,007,910 times
To be fair, downtown Sac was destroyed by fires and floods during the mid 1800's, which is why there is a lack of legacy structures.

That being said, aesthetically and culturally, Sac is pretty much what you get if you plopped Columbus or Indy in the middle of Northern CA.

Old 11-24-2018, 03:11 PM

6,885 posts, read 8,263,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
Thanks for the historic background, that was very interesting information. However, in 1950, Cleveland had 914,000, while Sacramento had 137,000. 1950 is around the time period that urban development stopped basically. So Cleveland's urban layout is much, much larger, and it also has several adjacent suburbs with dense, walkable areas such as Lakewood and Cleveland Heights, as well as smaller, older suburbs with charming downtowns such as Chagrin Falls. Also, Cleveland has 4 rail lines.
Yeah I actually suggested that in a prior post, Cleveland was 6.5 times larger than Sacramento just 68 years ago, so what is Cleveland's excuse for such a sad downtown today.

Sacramento has more of a "legacy" downtown than most cities west of the Mississippi. There are really only a small handful of cities west of the Mississippi that have "legacy" downtowns and it would be easy to include Sacramento in that handful.

Old 11-24-2018, 03:16 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
You are the only person in recorded history to utter the words "I'll take Cleveland's climate"....
Ever been to Russia?

Old 11-24-2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post

That being said, aesthetically and culturally, Sac is pretty much what you get if you plopped Columbus or Indy in the middle of Northern CA.
Somewhat but Not exactly. Sac is similar to what you get if you plopped Austin or Portland in the middle of Northern CA.

All four cities/metros (Sacramento, Austin, Portland, Columbus, Indy) are very close in size, and similar in certain ways, but also unique in their own way.

Old 11-24-2018, 03:41 PM

14,673 posts, read 14,635,860 times
Sacramento is a nice city, gets overshadowed by the other cities in the state. I still prefer Cleveland with its older feel but could be perfectly happy living in Sacto. Weather wouldn’t be a factor...brutal summers vs brutal winters.

Old 11-24-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Sacramento is a nice city, gets overshadowed by the other cities in the state. I still prefer Cleveland with its older feel but could be perfectly happy living in Sacto. Weather wouldn’t be a factor...brutal summers vs brutal winters.
I've lived in California practically my whole life and I've lived in LA, SF, SD and I prefer Sacramento.

Sacramento doesn't have brutal summers, it is actually just a handful cities in the nation that have the Coolest morning, nighttime and evening summer temps. Those others being SF Bay Area, Seattle, Portland, Denver, and Sacramento.

A Sacramento summer is no worse then more than 3/4 of the nations major metros.

Old 11-24-2018, 05:04 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,007,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Somewhat but Not exactly. Sac is similar to what you get if you plopped Austin or Portland in the middle of Northern CA.

All four cities/metros (Sacramento, Austin, Portland, Columbus, Indy) are very close in size, and similar in certain ways, but also unique in their own way.
LoL no. Keep dreaming

Sac peers are San Atone, Vegas, Indy, Cbus. Just stop man come on now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City