Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Preference for?
Greater Cleveland 88 47.06%
Greater Sacramento 99 52.94%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 10:25 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,448,265 times

Advertisements

People do realize that a big part of Cleveland's high murder rate is a function of their economic situation? I realize that Cleveland was dangerous in good times because of the organizations there and has only gotten worse over the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 11:04 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,440,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
People do realize that a big part of Cleveland's high murder rate is a function of their economic situation? I realize that Cleveland was dangerous in good times because of the organizations there and has only gotten worse over the years.
I don't think a lot of people don't. Somebody that lives in California, NYC, Boston, D.C., etc. when they read those stats they just think the whole city of Cleveland is dangerous with no safe areas and their areas are way more safer. Or, they're just glad that their city isn't on that list.

Last edited by QCongress83216; 10-31-2018 at 11:18 AM..

Old 10-31-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
I don't think a lot of people don't. Somebody that lives in California, NYC, D.C., etc. when they read those stats they just think the whole city of Cleveland is dangerous and their areas are way more safer. Or, they're just glad that their city isn't on that list.
Cleveland just has a lot of vacancy. If their cities had a lot of vacancy the situation would be similar. The only reason it is not is because of gentrification in those cities, which is something Cleveland has only been successful in achieving downtown. IDK Cleveland's bad parts are really easy to avoid.

Old 10-31-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Cleveland just has a lot of vacancy. If their cities had a lot of vacancy the situation would be similar. The only reason it is not is because of gentrification in those cities, which is something Cleveland has only been successful in achieving downtown. IDK Cleveland's bad parts are really easy to avoid.
I don't think Sacramento's situation would be similar to Cleveland Sacarmento is more spaced out compared to Cleveland. Plus, Sacramento is surrounded by L.A., The Bay Area and San Diego. Just like this shouldn't be a thread because it's two different regions. People are just using Cleveland to get an easy win or to diss Cleveland or Ohio IMO. A lot of people are gonna see Sacramento as hipper and cooler just because it's in California and see Cleveland as old and unhip because it's in Ohio.

Old 10-31-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
I don't think Sacramento's situation would be similar to Cleveland Sacarmento is more spaced out compared to Cleveland. Plus, Sacramento is surrounded by L.A., The Bay Area and San Diego. Just like this shouldn't be a thread because it's two different regions. People are just using Cleveland to get an easy win IMO.
Agreed.

I don't see the similarities at all between the two regions. Sacramento is in a far more prosperous region than Cleveland is, and surrounded by more people than will ever be the case in Cleveland's metro. I like Cleveland, but it simply does not have enough going on to attract people to bring it close to what you have in Sacramento.

I like Ohio again I'm very biased but I was there for over 30 years and there is no comparison of anything in the state to anything in California. Entirely different economies, not to mention that California is more entrenched in aerospace and military than Ohio and Ohio ports are not there either. Too many people look at the entertainment industries and tourism when looking at California, and forget about everything else.

Old 10-31-2018, 11:46 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,453,636 times
Quote:
I don't think Sacramento's situation would be similar to Cleveland Sacarmento is more spaced out compared to Cleveland. Plus, Sacramento is surrounded by L.A., The Bay Area and San Diego. Just like this shouldn't be a thread because it's two different regions. People are just using Cleveland to get an easy win IMO. A lot of people are gonna see Sacramento as hipper and cooler just because it's in California and see Cleveland as old and unhip because it's in Ohio.
Los Angeles and San Diego are nowhere near Sacramento. They’re about 400 and 500 miles away respectively. Also don’t let some of these posters fool you, Sacramento is quite a bit removed from the Bay Area.

I do agree with you that a lot of these threads in the city comparisons are ways people are looking for easy wins for their cities, but often it ends up backfiring. Just look at all the San Jose vs _______

Old 10-31-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Agreed.

I don't see the similarities at all between the two regions. Sacramento is in a far more prosperous region than Cleveland is, and surrounded by more people than will ever be the case in Cleveland's metro. I like Cleveland, but it simply does not have enough going on to attract people to bring it close to what you have in Sacramento.

I like Ohio again I'm very biased but I was there for over 30 years and there is no comparison of anything in the state to anything in California. Entirely different economies, not to mention that California is more entrenched in aerospace and military than Ohio and Ohio ports are not there either. Too many people look at the entertainment industries and tourism when looking at California, and forget about everything else.
Sacramento is a city, not a region. For all the praise Sacramento gets a lot of Californians feel that's the most un-glamorous, uncool city in all of California. People in L.A. constantly deride it as a "cow town." People get caught up in the entertainment industry and tourism because that's what get glamorized the most by the national media. Cleveland doesn't get a lot of people because a lot of companies and corporations aren't moving to Cleveland for various reasons. It could be taxes, image, politicians and too Union-heavy. IMO, there's a perception out there that Cleveland and "The Rust Belt" (I hate that term) are dumb and California, the Coasts and the Sunbelt are smart.

Old 10-31-2018, 04:36 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Los Angeles and San Diego are nowhere near Sacramento. They’re about 400 and 500 miles away respectively. Also don’t let some of these posters fool you, Sacramento is quite a bit removed from the Bay Area.

I do agree with you that a lot of these threads in the city comparisons are ways people are looking for easy wins for their cities, but often it ends up backfiring. Just look at all the San Jose vs _______
Man, calm down. I thought it was clear that anyone who said Sacramento "may as well" be The Bay, was doing so tongue-in-cheek, as the OMB has added Stockton and other outlying areas to its official SFBA CSA. Stockton in particular indeed is very much tied to the Sacramento region as much, if not more, than it is to The Bay. So if the OMB considers one Bay Area, it won't be long until our official statisticians are reaching for reasons to include Sacramento...

Also, Sac has a lot more civic pride than some of our dense fellow Californians seem to realize. People are proud to be from Sacramento. Sacramento is barely 45 minutes out from the outer reaches of The Bay, and yes, there is plenty of interaction between Bay cities and Sac; I don't know why pointing this out gets people up in arms. Still, I would easily take the bet that most Sacramentans are proud of the city and can point out cross-cultural characteristics between Sac and The Bay, without desiring to be from The Bay...

Relax, dude. Nobody in here was literally calling ourselves the Bay Area...

Old 10-31-2018, 07:42 PM

6,885 posts, read 8,263,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Ok Mario Andretti I’m calling you out on this one. There is no way with heavy traffic you’re getting from Sacramento to south San Francisco in 1:20, no way. I can’t tell you how many afternoon Giants games I went to at Candlestick Park coming from Sacramento with zero traffic and it took longer than that. Plus my uncle to this day is one of the craziest drivers I know.

What side of the bay bridge were you on, Oakland’s? Also are you only counting freeway time with your unbelievable times you post in every thread? I don’t care how light traffic is you’re not getting in and out of both cities in under 1 hour. Are you averaging 90+ mph the whole way? Do you live in west Sacramento next to an on-ramp? You do realize it’s 90 miles between the two when you’re telling everyone you’re making these trips in under 1 hour.

As for the question of the thread. I spent a lot of time while growing up visiting family in Sacramento. Good chucks of my summers were spent there and I think it’s a great place. I also went to school outside Detroit and took several trip to Cleveland for sporting events and concerts and like that city a lot too. With that said it’s really tough to compare the two because of the huge difference in regions. I will say what they have in common is both are underrated in their regions, and both would be great places to live within them. You couldn’t go wrong with either.

Oh and Sacramento isn’t part of the Bay Area no matter how much people there wish it was, or like to think it is. It’s 80, 90, and 120 miles to Oakland, San Francisco, and San Jose respectively.
Hey Taco, what's with all the disbelief. So you don't even live in NorCal.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:00 PM

6,885 posts, read 8,263,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Man, calm down. I thought it was clear that anyone who said Sacramento "may as well" be The Bay, was doing so tongue-in-cheek, as the OMB has added Stockton and other outlying areas to its official SFBA CSA. Stockton in particular indeed is very much tied to the Sacramento region as much, if not more, than it is to The Bay. So if the OMB considers one Bay Area, it won't be long until our official statisticians are reaching for reasons to include Sacramento...

Also, Sac has a lot more civic pride than some of our dense fellow Californians seem to realize. People are proud to be from Sacramento. Sacramento is barely 45 minutes out from the outer reaches of The Bay, and yes, there is plenty of interaction between Bay cities and Sac; I don't know why pointing this out gets people up in arms. Still, I would easily take the bet that most Sacramentans are proud of the city and can point out cross-cultural characteristics between Sac and The Bay, without desiring to be from The Bay...

Relax, dude. Nobody in here was literally calling ourselves the Bay Area...
So the whole Bah Areeaaaaaah thing is so funny. I love to say I'm from the Bay Area specifically to San Franciscans or really anyone in the heart of the Bay, and they say where ....and I say Sacramento.....just to hear all the vitriol, stereotypes, and ignorance. It goes both ways too, there is a lot of folks in Sacramento who love to condemn the Bay Area. I understand both arguments. The reality is we are so close to each other that if you really want to partake of the offerings of one Metro or the other it is easily done.

Last edited by Chimérique; 10-31-2018 at 08:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City