Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 11:44 AM

1,913 posts, read 2,253,240 times

Advertisements

El Paso , cheap safe , extremely hot and boring unless you love the Juarez influence on the culture .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 08:34 PM

Ft Wayne Indiana

Old 09-25-2016, 09:33 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,799,947 times
Crime is typically lower in colder climate cities. You may want to try a place like Minneapolis or Madison, WI. Neither are boring.

Old 09-26-2016, 04:25 PM

5,247 posts, read 5,956,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Crime is typically lower in colder climate cities. You may want to try a place like Minneapolis or Madison, WI. Neither are boring.
Or particularly cheap.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:03 PM

3,296 posts, read 3,853,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
I think I might be stuck in 2004, when cheap apartments in cheap downtowns could be say, a one bedroom for $600 or so. They really do seem to have gone up. Could that be reverse white flight?
Revitalization aimed at yuppie Millennials has killed the moderate downtown prices. Developers come in and create high end neighborhoods and drive up the price. This COL pushes the middle class out to the burbs. The city is left with a large number of renters and poor neighborhoods. This urban renewal fad has only made the burbs a popular destination again. I would say that there is a Middle Class flight occurring in the trendy city cores.

Old 09-28-2016, 02:37 PM

1,180 posts, read 971,281 times
You can probably find a cheaper place in Downtown Atlanta vs Midtown Atlanta. I don't have statistics regarding crime, but I tend to be more alert when walking through downtown at night vs midtown. I went to Georgia State which is in DT Atlanta and left the library at 1 am many nights and never had anything happen to me. Traffic and not price is what keeps me out of midtown since I work in the 'burbs. Found a nice affordable apartment near transit, retail, restaurants, and is relatively safe. I can be downtown or in midtown in no time. Maybe look just outside the core.

Old 10-03-2016, 12:51 PM

El Paso is inexpensive, boring and hot from May to October except when it rains . Winters are great November to April only thing is the dust storms in the fall and the spring .
there are a lot of festivals and concerts with the exception of a few wine festivals all the events and concerts are held during the hottest time of the year and at night it does not cool off very much in June , July and August. El Paso is basically an extension of Mexico everything has a Hispanic theme. In a lot of the stores the clerks might not speak English. The local restaurants are in expensive but the Mexican food can tend to all taste the same after a while . In the Summer You will see people out walking at sunset In 95 degree weather. The Utilities are higher than a lot of places. Real estate ( desert ) and rents can be as much as 56% less than Denver or San Diego . Certain areas have a lot of trees and greenery others it looks like the people don't believe in water. The mountains are a 2 to 3 hour drive away and are not crowded except during holidays.
THE DOWNTOWN is half dead .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City