Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 12:42 PM

55 posts, read 104,805 times

Advertisements

Well these post are going in all different directions and not really helping me narrow it down :0
I personally love the beach and boardwalks, I love big malls and the house of blues. I love lots of restaurant options. I've seen many many pictures of Charleston and I think the Victorian looking buildings are beautiful. What I have seen definitely doesn't look like an eyesore or trashy. Obviously I wouldn't consider any of these areas if I thought negative of them. People keep using the word tacky and when I hear that word I picture ridiculously big jewelry that says I'm screaming for attention. I'm not really sure what makes a city a "tacky" place. I know everyone is going to have their own opinions but I hope you can help me narrow down what would be the best for me, based on my original post and what I said I like. Someone said Charleston has the best job opportunities? Can I bank on that being correct? Is Myrtle Beach really just a place for tourist or are there opportunities there? Not based on these post that have confused me quite a bit I have been leaning towards Wilmington. Someone said it feels like you're in the middle of nowhere and I'm not really sure what that means. It seems like it has a lot to offer. I have found temp agencys there and a good gym and the riverfront is lovely and carolina beach and Wrightsville beach look nice. I originally was considering Matthews or Huntersville near Charlotte because I prefer safe suburbs. I would assume to find more job opportunities there BUT I hate the idea of being such a far drive from the beach. My whole life I have never been more than an hour away from the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 12:53 PM

2,000 posts, read 1,864,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
both Charlesotn and Wilmington are pretty tacky towns, with a few nice areas. roads like Savannah Highway and Rivers Avenue in Charleston are eyesores.

the MB area around the Coastal Grand Mall is very nice.

... coastal grand mall is not all that. If you are a shopper then you would know. Size doesnt make a difference. More shopping in charleston area. But i rank charleston then Wilmington and mrytle beach being last. If you are in charleston or Wilmington you can always visit mrytle beach 1.30 hour a way. Wilmington is a smaller town and charleston is more of a small city with a big citt vibe that has a mixture of everything. It is easier to find a job in charleston. A lil more expensive but you pay for what you get

Old 09-19-2016, 01:10 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiaescape View Post
Well these post are going in all different directions and not really helping me narrow it down :0
I personally love the beach and boardwalks, I love big malls and the house of blues. I love lots of restaurant options. I've seen many many pictures of Charleston and I think the Victorian looking buildings are beautiful. What I have seen definitely doesn't look like an eyesore or trashy. Obviously I wouldn't consider any of these areas if I thought negative of them. People keep using the word tacky and when I hear that word I picture ridiculously big jewelry that says I'm screaming for attention. I'm not really sure what makes a city a "tacky" place. I know everyone is going to have their own opinions but I hope you can help me narrow down what would be the best for me, based on my original post and what I said I like. Someone said Charleston has the best job opportunities? Can I bank on that being correct? Is Myrtle Beach really just a place for tourist or are there opportunities there? Not based on these post that have confused me quite a bit I have been leaning towards Wilmington. Someone said it feels like you're in the middle of nowhere and I'm not really sure what that means. It seems like it has a lot to offer. I have found temp agencys there and a good gym and the riverfront is lovely and carolina beach and Wrightsville beach look nice. I originally was considering Matthews or Huntersville near Charlotte because I prefer safe suburbs. I would assume to find more job opportunities there BUT I hate the idea of being such a far drive from the beach. My whole life I have never been more than an hour away from the beach.
Myrtle Beach has job opportunities, but they are overwhelmingly service-sector, tourist-oriented jobs. Charleston, and to a lesser extent Wilmington (as it is a smaller city), will offer a wider variety of jobs.

The thing with Myrtle is that it's heavily touristy from like March to September, and because it's not all that big, there's really no escaping the tourists. Charleston gets a lot of tourists too, but most of them will descend on downtown and you can easily live your day-to-day life without interacting much with them. Wilmington isn't nearly as touristy as either.

Old 09-19-2016, 01:31 PM

23,450 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Unlike what some have posted, Charleston is a lovely cultured city that has more to offer than just its' historic district. If the news was all negative about it, why are so many moving there? It does have a long-held reputation regarding insularity and a stand-offishness to outsiders moving there, but I think time has diminished that attitude.
While Myrtle Beach is not at all my cup of tea, there are some outlying areas ie North Myrtle Beach that seem quite nice.
Wilmington would seem to suit a lot of your needs; I have a cousin that relocated to Wilmington from the Tampa area a couple of years ago and it has been a very fulfilling experience for her. She especially enjoys the arts community there. The beach communities within its' vicinity are very lovely as well, although by and large inhabited by summer tourists, retirees and folks in the service industry.
Although not on the coast, have you considered the Research Triangle? It's not all that far from the water (Pamlico Sound) and seems to have a thriving economy and an attractiveness to your age group. A couple of friends of mine relocated to Raleigh from the Miami area a few years ago and LOVE it.

Last edited by Iconographer; 09-19-2016 at 02:06 PM..

Old 09-19-2016, 01:52 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Do we know what sort of work the OP is looking for? This is a big issue in my opinion. Regarding LovinDecatur's post suggesting Raleigh, that's a good suggestion depending on the industry of the OP. From my condo in downtown Raleigh, I can get to my friend's house in Wilmington in 1:45 (off rush hour). It's not an hour or less drive but it's a really easy since there's practically nothing (excepts cops ) between the two cities that prevents traveling at 80+MPH to get there.

Old 09-19-2016, 01:59 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Do we know what sort of work the OP is looking for? This is a big issue in my opinion. Regarding LovinDecatur's post suggesting Raleigh, that's a good suggestion depending on the industry of the OP. From my condo in downtown Raleigh, I can get to my friend's house in Wilmington in 1:45 (off rush hour). It's not an hour or less drive but it's a really easy since there's practically nothing (excepts cops ) between the two cities that prevents traveling at 80+MPH to get there.
It's in the first post: customer service management...jobs can be had anywhere in that sector.

Old 09-19-2016, 02:03 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,480,244 times
Quote:
Please don't take this the wrong way, OP, but here goes:

Your point of reference is California. The kind of urban development that exists in California is something that you see in some degree in the Baltimore/DC area suburbs along that coastline. You also see that sort of urban development down in Florida.

At the points between the Baltimore/DC area suburbs and Florida, development is decidedly more suburban and/or decidedly smaller in degree. I'd say the most "urban" areas along the coastlines of NC and SC would be Charleston by a long shot, but it's a bit much to call the place "urban". I'd say that it's a charming small- to mid-sized city.

As far as job opportunities go, Charleston will win that battle far and away simply because the NC and SC beaches developed VERY differently from the type of development you see in California. These areas are FAR more rural (like the Oregon beaches).

Wilmington, in particular, is bereft of jobs and due to the local college, there's a large number of people willing to work long hours for very low pay. It's a trap, and you should not let yourself be lured by it.

I would, therefore, advise you to fly into Charleston and see if that city's size works for you. If it doesn't, then you should try Charlotte and/or Raleigh by default. Those two cities will offer WAY more job opportunities.

I know that's not what you want to hear, but the way the land developed in the Southeast, job opportunities clustered around the interstates and not necessarily by the water. To that end, if you are dependent on the type of job you can find (as opposed to bringing a job over for yourself) then that is the reality to face.

Old 09-19-2016, 02:06 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,685,139 times
I'll add to the Charleston chorus. It's an incredible city that has been recognized in multiple, national publications. Jobs, beach, food, fun, and whatever else you need can be found in Charleston.

Edit to add: One thing that has not been discussed is the heat and humidity. I know a few folks who have moved from California and that is their number one complaint.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:03 AM

55 posts, read 104,805 times
I thank everyone for their input thus far. I will eliminate MB from my options since its sounds close enough to visit from charelston or wilimington. And sounds like just a tourist area mostly from what your telling me.
Im hearing that chareston will have the best jobs unless Im willing to move away from the beach. To remind everyone I have a 15 year background in customer service management as originally stated. That includes retail and office management. My most rencent jobs include working for iHeartRadio and one of the top publishing companies in the nation. Despite an impressive resume, minimum wage service jobs have seemed unimpressed and would rather find less qualified employees for whatever reason.
As of this moment I am tied between charelston and wilmington. I like somewhat small towns near the beach. Someone said Im from urban ca. But Im actually from suburban ca, orange county. Lots of $20/business jobs only a 30 minute drive to our fabulous beaches. The only problem being that housing here requires 2 incomes even for a 1 bedroom, and Im a single woman. Our 1 bedrooms run $1700 to $1900 and our 2 bedrooms run $2000 to $2200 per month.
Some of you are mentioning that to find a job in my industry I should consider Raleigh or Charolette. Im not a city life person at all. I hate traffic, I hate smog, I hate crime. You will have to fill me in if these areas are like that because I don't know. Im a beach lover who prefers safe suburbs, being a single attractive female. My safety is important to me. What are those cities like that you are recommending? I would prefer somewhere like Davidson near lake norman if I had to opt out of living by the beach.
Lastly I do have friends in CO In fort collins and parker. Fort collins I believe is a college town mostly and parker is a somewhat suburb. I have been told they both are about 30 min from denver in opposite directions. The humidity there is very low, housing is somewhat affordable (less than CA but more than NC). I would assume their would be jobs with denver nearby. But Im not sure how bad traffic is. I have lived in WA before so Im used to cold winters and minor snow, but Im not sure about 10 inches of snow. Its beautiful, but not sure about driving in it. Since colorado boast 300 days of sunshine Im hoping most of that snow melts off. Would anyone choose CO over NC/SC? I know CO has lots of outdoor activities but I would miss the beach.

Old 09-20-2016, 05:19 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,864,170 times
Quote:
I thank everyone for their input thus far. I will eliminate MB from my options since its sounds close enough to visit from charelston or wilimington. And sounds like just a tourist area mostly from what your telling me.
Im hearing that chareston will have the best jobs unless Im willing to move away from the beach. To remind everyone I have a 15 year background in customer service management as originally stated. That includes retail and office management. My most rencent jobs include working for iHeartRadio and one of the top publishing companies in the nation. Despite an impressive resume, minimum wage service jobs have seemed unimpressed and would rather find less qualified employees for whatever reason.
As of this moment I am tied between charelston and wilmington. I like somewhat small towns near the beach. Someone said Im from urban ca. But Im actually from suburban ca, orange county. Lots of $20/business jobs only a 30 minute drive to our fabulous beaches. The only problem being that housing here requires 2 incomes even for a 1 bedroom, and Im a single woman. Our 1 bedrooms run $1700 to $1900 and our 2 bedrooms run $2000 to $2200 per month.
Some of you are mentioning that to find a job in my industry I should consider Raleigh or Charolette. Im not a city life person at all. I hate traffic, I hate smog, I hate crime. You will have to fill me in if these areas are like that because I don't know. Im a beach lover who prefers safe suburbs, being a single attractive female. My safety is important to me. What are those cities like that you are recommending? I would prefer somewhere like Davidson near lake norman if I had to opt out of living by the beach.
Lastly I do have friends in CO In fort collins and parker. Fort collins I believe is a college town mostly and parker is a somewhat suburb. I have been told they both are about 30 min from denver in opposite directions. The humidity there is very low, housing is somewhat affordable (less than CA but more than NC). I would assume their would be jobs with denver nearby. But Im not sure how bad traffic is. I have lived in WA before so Im used to cold winters and minor snow, but Im not sure about 10 inches of snow. Its beautiful, but not sure about driving in it. Since colorado boast 300 days of sunshine Im hoping most of that snow melts off. Would anyone choose CO over NC/SC? I know CO has lots of outdoor activities but I would miss the beach.
Traffic in charleston can get bad during rush hour times. Early morning and afternoon 5 o'clock traffic. Nothing like California traffic. But it does get pretty slow. Outside of those times its smooth riding . I dont know how crime is in Wilmington but north charleston hasaot of crime but its mostly contain in a couple of areas. West ashely sounds like the town for you. Close to folly beach and alot of people around your age bracket. .. Colorado is a beautiful place also. Spent some time there. That would be a hard choice because co,nc,sc all offer alot of different things
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City