Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the most interesting suburbs?
San Francisco/Bay Area 12 7.84%
Boston 25 16.34%
Seattle 7 4.58%
Chicago 9 5.88%
New York/Tri-State 8 5.23%
Los Angeles 25 16.34%
Dallas/DFW 5 3.27%
Atlanta 7 4.58%
Philadelphia 28 18.30%
Detroit 2 1.31%
Houston 3 1.96%
Minneapolis/St Paul 3 1.96%
Miami/Ft Lauderdale 5 3.27%
Washington, DC 13 8.50%
Other 1 0.65%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 07:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
The Phoenix MSA is larger than Detroit and Seattle MSA's. Why isn't it listed?
Correct. Actually, Phoenix is #12; Riverside, CA also belongs on that list, Minneapolis is #16 and does not belong on it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tistical_Areas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 11:51 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SayyWhatt View Post
If that was really such an important criteria though, can't you also make the reverse argument and say the actual city of Los Angeles isn't very interesting because that's not what "we" culturally deem LA despite being the primary city?
Nope, because what lies within LA's city limits are also some of the most iconic and most popular places to visit in the US. What LA has on it's periphery doesn't take away from what it has within it's city limits. Hollywood, Venice Beach, Bel Air, Watts, are all within LA's city limits. LA just has the best of both worlds, is what my argument is. We associate LA with it's suburbs, but what LA offers within it's city limits is also considered top notch for tourism in American cities.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:19 AM

63 posts, read 63,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
I'm also done dealing with you.
And then he comes back like 2 minutes later with tears in his eyes...LOL. As if he was waiting for a response the whole day. Given that you've been responding within minutes to every one of my posts at random times of the day, I'm not sure why I'm actually surprised about not likely dealing with a working adult here. It must get lonely down in the basement.

Quote:
Hahahahahahahahahaha. Show me 1 post where I come off as a biased fanboy. Isn't that what your doing right now? The lack of self awareness is astounding with you.
Why highlight just one post? Your entire posting history is an example. When have you an ever gotten in an argument with someone who wasn't critical of something related to Los Angeles? Fair or unfair, any remote hint of comments directed LA that's not positive, you play the "butt hurt" homer trying to smear that poster's credibility with what's mostly foolish reasoning. And "butt hurt" btw is just an internet slang word for being very bitter, which given how attached to the internet you seem, seems kind of ironic to have such an issue with.

Quote:
The rest of your post is either irrelevant, wrong, or too late in the game for me to even consider responding to the entirety of this nonsense.
Or it's the fact that you simply don't possess the intellect to back up arguments, like you haven't been doing so far . You've just been throwing out one senseless claim after another, either trying to avoid giving a detailed explanation completely, or just throwing out silly reasoning that most have the common sense to realize is moot in this context. But by all means keep referring to things you don't have the smarts refute as "nonsense." We all need to sleep at night somehow.

Quote:
Im not even a big fan of Pasadena myself. I can find so much more in the LA area that appeals more to me than Pasadena. Why would I need to defend it? Something tells me you have some reading comprehension issues, and you have steered so far away from the original premise of my post that I don't even know why I am still responding. If you were on a clearly more objective thread, then the level of "butt hurt" that you are displaying might be a little more validated.
Why should people take you for your word on anything anymore? Your the guy that goes like I'm too mature to argue with you, and then comes back 2 minutes later all emotional, crying, and making petty attempts at trash talking. Your posting history alone is proof that you will go out of way to basically hunt for arguments against non LA fanboys. And speaking of reading comprehension, I don't know if you are having a case of the Alzheimer's here or your memory is that bad, but please do tell as to how the things I said wasn't in some ways derived from one of your drivel.

Quote:
EDIT: You are also correct that someone who likes lush greenery, seasonal variation and an impressive skyline would absolutely find all of SoCal boring. If that were the sole criteria that determines "interesting" to them. I'm glad you are finally starting to realize that differing opinions are a thing.
I think it's more about you still failing to realize what things were actually being discussed, which wasn't some random criteria you were pulling from some hole, i.e. nature. Yes, technically, nature can be interesting to some, and someone can say they find some cowtown in West Virginia interesting over Manhattan because of nature and it wouldn't exactly be an incorrect opinion, as long as they are specific about that part. The guy in question certainly wasn't and there was no reason to assume so either, given that's not what was being discussed throughout the thread at all. I can't believe that's been this hard for you to figure out.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Nope, because what lies within LA's city limits are also some of the most iconic and most popular places to visit in the US. What LA has on it's periphery doesn't take away from what it has within it's city limits. Hollywood, Venice Beach, Bel Air, Watts, are all within LA's city limits. LA just has the best of both worlds, is what my argument is. We associate LA with it's suburbs, but what LA offers within it's city limits is also considered top notch for tourism in American cities.
So basically, all my suburbs are considered great and all of my city is considered great too!!! Yeah, that's not being biased at all...

How about this for an alternative though, only a small and limited portion of my city and suburbs are have that global recognition that certain people are obsessed with, the Westside and certain other small nodes that people associate with Hollywood and glam life.

Sounds more closer to reality to me.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:58 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
So basically, all my suburbs are considered great and all of my city is considered great too!!! Yeah, that's not being biased at all...

How about this for an alternative though, only a small and limited portion of my city and suburbs are have that global recognition that certain people are obsessed with, the Westside and certain other small nodes that people associate with Hollywood and glam life.

Sounds more closer to reality to me.
I'm not from LA. I'm just calling it how I see it, as someone looking in from the outside. LA's multi-nodle build, gives everything from it's central neighborhoods to it's far-flung suburbs nationwide recognition. That's just the way it is. This is reality. Just accept it.....

Old 09-29-2016, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I'm not from LA. I'm just calling it how I see it, as someone looking in from the outside. LA's multi-nodle build, gives everything from it's central neighborhoods to it's far-flung suburbs nationwide recognition. That's just the way it is. This is reality. Just accept it.....
Well you see things pretty weirdly if you think everything in LA has global/nationwide recognition. A rather small percentage of Greater Los Angeles has that actually, a rather small percentage both the suburbs and city.

So no thanks, I have never been the type to "accept" nonsense just because somebody out there is delusional enough to keep repeating it and maybe even forced himself to a mental state where he seriously believes it.

Old 09-29-2016, 01:27 AM

1,780 posts, read 1,760,758 times
Quote:
And then he comes back like 2 minutes later with tears in his eyes. LOL
Lol is right my friend. Trust me, if I would have known that my simple comment would infuriate you so, I would have never even mentioned a thing.

To give you some closure on the matter, what prompted me to reply to you in the first place was the fact that you quantified someone's subjective opinion into:

Quote:
So I guess for Chicago, it would be fair to say about 85 -90% of it is boring?
The second I read that I felt urged to contribute, since it was a very simple way of dumbing down what he was saying. The last two pages of back and forth have honestly been meaningless and are now completely irrelevant to my original point. Really, you should post more often. Just try to keep the emotions out of it next time.

Old 09-29-2016, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Lol is right my friend. Trust me, if I would have known that my simple comment would infuriate you so, I would have never even mentioned a thing.
So now that we have accomplished that you clearly lack the necessity intelligence to back up your claims, is it fair to say you are simply bickering on just to have the last words? Have my posts made you that bitter that you have simply restored to being a guy that's only interested in taking petty personal attacks to have sense of closure?

Quote:
To give you some closure on the matter, what prompted me to reply to you in the first place was the fact that you quantified someone's subjective opinion into:

The second I read that I felt urged to contribute, since it was a very simple way of dumbing down what he was saying. The last two pages of back and forth have honestly been meaningless and are now completely irrelevant to my original point. Really, you should post more often. Just try to keep the emotions out of it next time.
Yes, let's pretend as if the butthurt was ever about Chicago and not your beloved LA. Because your posting history sure suggests that the inane no negativity ever way of looking at a particular metro you have is named Chicago...

Let's be honest here, the only reason Chicago is even in the conversation now is for one thing only, an attempt to show that your not the blatantly biased fanboy that I said you were and establish some credulity. It's funny that you have such a problem with that Chicago comment, when you don't even know why and and in what context due to my past experience with him I brought it up to that particular user. Lastly, you have unsurprisingly failed to give specifics as to why yet again and are seriously still just ranting on to have the last words.

Last edited by SayyWhatt; 09-29-2016 at 01:56 AM..

Old 09-29-2016, 01:59 AM

1,780 posts, read 1,760,758 times
Quote:
So now that we have accomplished that you clearly lack the necessity intelligence to back up your claims, is it fair to say you are simply bickering on just to have the last words? Have my posts made you that bitter that you have simply restored to being a guy that's only interested in taking petty personal attacks to have sense of closure?

Yes, let's pretend as if the butthurt was ever about Chicago and not your beloved LA. Because your posting history sure suggests that your foolish no negativity ever way of looking at a particular metro is named Chicago...

Let's be honest here, the only reason Chicago is even in the conversation now is for one thing only, an attempt to show that your not the blatantly biased fanboy that I said you were and establish some credulity. It's funny that you have such a problem with that Chicago comment, when you don't even know why and and in what context due to my past experience with him I brought it up to that particular user. Lastly, you have unsurprisingly failed to give specifics as to why yet again and are seriously still just ranting on to have the last words.
You could have ignored me from the get go, yet here we are, listening to you give your last words.

This is getting creepy dude. If you honestly think that my homerism is something special, then you're lying about how much you lurk on here. To single me out for something that is so rampant from nearly everyone on this board, all while completely ignoring that there are several other posters who are much louder and more blindly biased than anything witnessed in this thread thus far, is ridiculous.

Arguing your word against mine is just useless, and you should know that being such the smarty pants that you are, but if you want to believe that was my motive, go ahead! I really don't care and you are nothing but an afterthought in my mind. A random internet personality.

And yes, when I'm bored I get persistent. As long as you continue to reply I will continue as well. Forget what I said about being done dealing with you.

Old 09-29-2016, 02:19 AM

Quote:
You could have ignored me from the get go, yet here we are, listening to you give your last words.

This is getting creepy dude. If you honestly think that my homerism is something special, then you're lying about how much you lurk on here. To single me out for something that is so rampant from nearly everyone on this board, all while completely ignoring that there are several other posters who are much louder and more blindly biased than anything witnessed in this thread thus far, is ridiculous.

Arguing your word against mine is just useless, and you should know that being such the smarty pants that you are, but if you want to believe that was my motive, go ahead! I really don't care and you are nothing but an afterthought in my mind. A random internet personality.

And yes, when I'm bored I get persistent. As long as you continue to reply I will continue as well. Forget what I said about being done dealing with you.
I never said you were the biggest homer that hangs out here, I simply said you were one of them. If it makes you feel better, I do believe there are far worse posters here than you, it's just not a lot of them has butted into an argument I had no interest in having with them like you did, which is really my only beef here. Believe it or not I'm a usually a pretty reserved guy that has no intention of ever picking a fight (unless they say something I believe is completely ridiculous) with somebody no matter what I think of them, but that doesn't mean I just sit there and take it when I'm provoked

I also never said that I don't "lurk" (the normal word for it would be hang btw) around here much, I simply said that I usually just prefer to read. Who was it that lacked in reading comprehension again...lol.

Yes, I already said as much, I wouldn't take you for your word if my life depended on it from everything I have seen, so I didn't exactly believe you were the type that simply goes away without tiring his keyboard out. It's ironic though given how I'm just a random internet personality and all that... So yes, it looks like I might be have to be the bigger man and put an end to the pointless territory this is heading in. And I probably will too as long as you stop trying to take petty character attacks.

Last edited by SayyWhatt; 09-29-2016 at 02:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City