Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's the best city?
Pittsburgh 70 38.25%
Charlotte 47 25.68%
Nashville 55 30.05%
Indianapolis 11 6.01%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 12:09 PM

592 posts, read 591,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
How good is Nashville's nightlife for someone who actively hates country music?

Depends on what you like to do. Country music is a big part of downtown Nashville's night life but as discussed on another thread it's geared mainly towards tourists and confined to two streets, 2nd ave and Broadway. For more non country, non touristy stuff locals tend to hang in areas outside downtown i.e. East Nashville, Midtown, 12 South, Germantown, The Gulch, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 12:30 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
I agree; as one of my close pals say, "We already have an Atlanta, we don't need another one." Most Sun Belt cities are infatuated with the same models of growth, totally disregarding increasing vibrancy or interest.
How so? The model of growth I see in cities like Atlanta and Charlotte is greatly contributing to increased vibrancy within their cores with more urban mixed-use developments, TOD, expanding transit, green space, etc.

Old 09-26-2016, 12:30 PM

247 posts, read 336,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc2j View Post
Depends on what you like to do. Country music is a big part of downtown Nashville's night life but as discussed on another thread it's geared mainly towards tourists and confined to two streets, 2nd ave and Broadway. For more non country, non touristy stuff locals tend to hang in areas outside downtown i.e. East Nashville, Midtown, 12 South, Germantown, The Gulch, etc.
My advice to those who enjoy nightlife but not country music would be to choose a different city. On a national nightlife scale, all of those places you listed are Meh IMO. With the exception of bits of EN, they all have that generic gentrified SoDaSoPa feel.

Old 09-26-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc2330 View Post
My advice to those who enjoy nightlife but not country music would be to choose a different city. On a national nightlife scale, all of those places you listed are Meh IMO. With the exception of bits of EN, they all have that generic gentrified SoDaSoPa feel.

Here we go lol. As someone who travels quite extensively I believe Nashville punches above it's weight given it's population. Makes no sense to try to compare it to much larger cities but even then I believe it can still hold it's own.

Last edited by jkc2j; 09-26-2016 at 01:00 PM..

Old 09-26-2016, 01:15 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,418,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
How so? The model of growth I see in cities like Atlanta and Charlotte is greatly contributing to increased vibrancy within their cores with more urban mixed-use developments, TOD, expanding transit, green space, etc.
Most of those projects say their mixed-used, but for the most part they lack commercial/retail uses, they don't function properly as mixed-used projects should. Atlanta gets a pass, because Atlanta is Atlanta, can't really halt any further development because it's already firm in it's own growth. Charlotte and the other Sub Belt cities had a chance to reconstruct or redevelop their model into something more fitting of a cohesive working core are. Cities like Nashville, New Orleans, Richmond, Birmingham, Charleston, or whatever grew during the early 20th century, so it's basically just adding on to what was already there. But Charlotte and other Sun Belt cities really had a chance to start new and develop into something interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc2330 View Post
With the exception of bits of EN, they all have that generic gentrified SoDaSoPa feel.
lmao that's exactly what some of them feel like.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Most of those projects say their mixed-used, but for the most part they lack commercial/retail uses, they don't function properly as mixed-used projects should. Atlanta gets a pass, because Atlanta is Atlanta, can't really halt any further development because it's already firm in it's own growth. Charlotte and the other Sub Belt cities had a chance to reconstruct or redevelop their model into something more fitting of a cohesive working core are. Cities like Nashville, New Orleans, Richmond, Birmingham, Charleston, or whatever grew during the early 20th century, so it's basically just adding on to what was already there. But Charlotte and other Sun Belt cities really had a chance to start new and develop into something interesting.

lmao that's exactly what some of them feel like.
I guess I'm not seeing this generic feel abc speaks of all while touting places like Austin(which has great night life btw) as the standard.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:27 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
That's DEFINITELY not true for Charlotte; practically all of the new developments in the core have space for active ground-floor uses, and a nice chunk of them are TOD. Most of the new developments in the core of Atlanta are like that as well. No offense, but most of your recent posts about Charlotte reflect an ignorance about the city and what's going on there. When was the last time you visited?

Old 09-26-2016, 05:48 PM

159 posts, read 269,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc2j View Post
Are blues and rock popular in Nashville?

Old 09-26-2016, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverJD View Post
Are blues and rock popular in Nashville?
Rock yes, blues not so much, though there are some blues bars here such as BB Kings and Bourbon St. Blues and Boogie Bar. The blues is more Memphis' thing.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:18 AM

6 posts, read 5,033 times
Here's my breakdown

Economy 1. Charlotte 2. Nashville 3 Pittsburgh 4. Indianapolis: Charlotte has been booming for a long time, Nasvhille started too recently, Charlotte's economy is a bit more diverse than Nashville's so I'll give it the edge. Pittsburgh is getting better in this regard with improvements in tech jobs, Indianapolis doesn't have much special in terms of jobs.

Transportation-Car: 1. Indianapolis-Nashville 2. Charlotte----------3. Pittsburgh (terrible traffic and their interstate system is archaic)

Transportation PT- 1. Pittsburgh 2. Nashville 3. Charlotte-Indianapolis

Walk ability 1. Pittsburgh 2. Nashville 3. Charlotte-Indianapolis: Pittsburgh leads the way with numerous parks walk paths and sidewalk improvements, Nashville is a close 2nd and is catching up to Pitt, Charlotte and Indianapolis while not terrible in this do have a ways to go.

Architecture 1. Nashville-Charlotte 2. Pittsburgh------3. Indianapolis I prefer classy old single family homes whit charm, I don't hate row homes but don't like them as much as some people. That's my main justification for putting Pitt behind Nashville and Charlotte, Most of indy's architecture is pretty bland tbh.

Food 1. Nashville 2. Pittsburgh 3. Indianapolis------- 4. Charlotte (lack of any unique local cuisine hurts it)

Scenery/Topography 1. Nashville/Pittsburgh 2. Charlotte--------3. Indianapolis Can't pick between Nashville or Pitt, both or Appalachian cities and both have numerous water ways, they really are both quite scenic don't think you can go wrong with either of them. Charlotte is in the Piedmont and thus has some rolling hills but nothing like the first two. Indianapolis is dead last easily the flattest city of this group

Nightlife/Entertainment 1. Nashville 2. Pittsburgh 3. Charlotte/Indianapolis, Nashville wins this because of the music scene the other three aren't bad though.

Weather: 1. Charlotte 2. Nashville 3. Indianapolis/Pittsburgh I give Charlotte a slight edge here because their winters have less ice and snow then Nashville's and their summers tend to be slightly less humid, both Indianapolis and Pittsburgh have equally terrible weather IMO.

Suburbs: 1. Nashville 2. Charlotte 3. Indianapolis 4. Pittsburgh Nashville has all around great suburbs such as Hendersonville, Mt, Julie and Franklin all have great schools. Charlotte has some good areas such as Fort Mill( one of the best planned suburban communities in the entire country IMO), Mint Hill and Huntersville. I give Nashville a slight edge because it's less cookie cutter than Charlotte, some of Charlotte's new homes are very cookie cutter. Indy only really has one good suburb "Carmel" and it's far from downtown. Pittsburgh's suburbs are very inconveniently laid out and the housing isn't great in general.

Location: 1. Pittsburgh 2. Charlotte 3. Nashville-Indianapolis I like being close to the beach and mountains

Potential growth for the future: 1 Nashville 2. Charlotte 3. Pittsburgh 4. Indianapolis. Both Nashville and Charlotte have experienced great population gains, I put Nashville ahead as I think the recent events in Charlotte could hurt it some temporary (Riots, sexist laws etc), Pittsburgh was losing population but seems to be on a good tract for development, Indy had a bit of a boom between 1995-2010, but it's gone stagnant since then.

Personally I'd go with Nashville it seems to do well in most of these categories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City